Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gunner keeps chewing on his back right hip, like there are fleas there but this is making a huge sore there and a big patch of fur is gone, when we first saw it we thought someone shot him with a BB gun

sorry I havnt been on here in a while, girl problems :sadcry:

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
Hi there Gunner, hope all is well. Has Gunner been to see the vet yet with this problem? It sounds as if there maybe something serious going on, possibly he was shot with a BB gun? I'd make it a major priority to get him checked if you haven't yet.

Hope Daisy is doing well too, we haven't heard anything from you in a bit!

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Gunner said:
Gunner keeps chewing on his back right hip, like there are fleas there but this is making a huge sore there and a big patch of fur is gone, when we first saw it we thought someone shot him with a BB gun

sorry I havnt been on here in a while, girl problems :sadcry:
Sounds like flank sucking, which is pretty common in dobermans. It's considered compulsive behavior, frequently brought on by stress or boredom.
The severity varies between dogs-some dogs will literally continue until they mutilate themselves.

Try more exercise and mental stimulation. In some cases, one of those bitter tasting products applied to the area will stop the dog. It's not as easy to find as Bitter Apple, but I've found Bitter Orange to be the strongest and most effective of the "bitter" line.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bitter orange safe?

Ive only had my 2 yr old Doberman for 6 months. I adopted him from a Dobe rescue and I found out Im his fifth home. His owner gave him up then two fosters and then kennel , all because he was too demanding ,needed to be w/someone all the time. It turned out great for me since I stay at home all day. I noticed after a few weeks of having him, he was chewing in his back hip REALLY bad till it bled and thought it was his hip. Then after awhile I realized it was because he was upset. It Finally stopped, but now hes licking his back leg raw and 120.00 vet bill w/steroids only to find out here that its common for Dobermans to do that. I bought the cream bit it says on the bottle "Avoid contact with broken skin, eyes or mucous membranes. If eyes are contacted, wash with water immediately. Use carefully as may cause staining. Keep out of reachof children. Harmful if swallowed. First Aid call a physician or poison control center. First Aid call a veterinarian." Can I put that on his broken skin directly OR bandage it first?

·
Super Moderator
21,136 Posts
Ive only had my 2 yr old Doberman for 6 months. I adopted him from a Dobe rescue and I found out Im his fifth home. His owner gave him up then two fosters and then kennel , all because he was too demanding ,needed to be w/someone all the time. It turned out great for me since I stay at home all day. I noticed after a few weeks of having him, he was chewing in his back hip REALLY bad till it bled and thought it was his hip. Then after awhile I realized it was because he was upset. It Finally stopped, but now hes licking his back leg raw and 120.00 vet bill w/steroids only to find out here that its common for Dobermans to do that. I bought the cream bit it says on the bottle "Avoid contact with broken skin, eyes or mucous membranes. If eyes are contacted, wash with water immediately. Use carefully as may cause staining. Keep out of reachof children. Harmful if swallowed. First Aid call a physician or poison control center. First Aid call a veterinarian." Can I put that on his broken skin directly OR bandage it first?
I'd strongly recommend you start a new thread with this information, since this original thread is seven years old.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts