Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still in the research stage of my Doberman-breeder search and I'm trying to gain some information on Glengate Dobermans.

Just wondering if anyone has experience in dealing with Glengate Dobermans. Does anyone have a dog from them?

From what I've seen through my searches, they seem to be active on the forum and respected by other doberman breeders/owners. I can't actually find any threads that really deal with them... just kind of in passing. (If someone else knows of a thread for them that I just haven't been able to find, I'd be interested in reading it)

Just trying to gain some insight :)

Reactions: Darkevs

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
I would buy from Glengate in a heartbeat, but they don't breed often. That may be why everything you've read has been "in passing" - not a ton of people out there with Glengate dobes... but the few that have them are lucky indeed. :)

·
Registered
662 Posts
I have two dobermans from Glengate. Mary is a reputable breeder who truly cares about all of her puppies. When my last boy died from DCM at a young age I did a lot of research for my next breeder. Mary, does extensive health testing on her dogs and that was very important to me. She also has a lot of longevity in her dobermans.

Sammy and Blush are from Mary and we love them so much, they're great dogs.

Mary is a responsible breeder. If you ever have a problem she's always there ready to help you any way she can, I can't say enough good things about Glengate.

Mary, is the kind of breeder that I always wanted, I'm so happy that she had a puppy when my husband and I were looking for our our next boy.

·
_______
5,102 Posts
I would take a dog from Mary in a heartbeat. I've watched her posts for years now. She's caring and funny. She minds health and longevity and has had some very beautiful dogs....and she's candid.

Doesn't breed often tho so stars have to align just so for those being considered.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I have been on various lists for years with Mary, have corresponded privately with her from time to time, have met her in person once, and like her a great deal. I respect and think highly of her breeding program and of her conduct in the Doberman community. However, if she is still adamant about doing pediatric speuters on her pet puppies at the time that their ears are cropped, I would not under any circumstances consider getting a pet puppy from her for myself.

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
Mary is very reputable, does thorough health testing, follows up on all her pups, puts titles at both ends of her dogs names and breeds infrequently.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have been on various lists for years with Mary, have corresponded privately with her from time to time, have met her in person once, and like her a great deal. I respect and think highly of her breeding program and of her conduct in the Doberman community. However, if she is still adamant about doing pediatric speuters on her pet puppies at the time that their ears are cropped, I would not under any circumstances consider getting a pet puppy from her for myself.
Sorry, I haven't come across the term "pediatric speuters" ...unless you mean spay/neuters?? Could you explain the term if I'm wrong...
Also if I'm right with what you mean by the term, I wouldn't mind an explanation as to why you think this as I am looking for a pet doberman. Thanks!! :)

Also thank you to everyone whose responded. I'm glad that my research efforts aren't a failure ;) I did see on their site that they don't breed frequently, which is why I'm asking about them because I'm thinking about going on a waiting list ... if they even have one. I am definitely willing to wait for a healthy puppy from a responsible breeder!! :)

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
"Speuter" is the combination of spay and neuter. I believe Mary does spaying and neutering of the pet puppies in the litter when they are cropped. I personally don't do it, but I understand the reasoning behind it. People cannoth have "accidents" if their dogs are speutered. If you are ok with young spays and neuters then Glangate would be a great breeder! Nice dogs, health testing... what's not to like there?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
"Speuter" is the combination of spay and neuter. I believe Mary does spaying and neutering of the pet puppies in the litter when they are cropped. I personally don't do it, but I understand the reasoning behind it. People cannoth have "accidents" if their dogs are speutered. If you are ok with young spays and neuters then Glangate would be a great breeder! Nice dogs, health testing... what's not to like there?

Thanks for elaborating! The neutering process isn't one that I've thought that much into - in the fact that I don't know what I'd rather do (earlier or a little later) .. I definitely plan on neutering.. No "accidents" for my future dogs lol!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Sorry, I haven't come across the term "pediatric speuters" ...unless you mean spay/neuters?? Could you explain the term if I'm wrong...
Also if I'm right with what you mean by the term, I wouldn't mind an explanation as to why you think this as I am looking for a pet doberman. Thanks!! :)
My personal feeling is that I will opt to deal with a breeder who feels comfortable enough after having vetted me as a potential owner to trust me with the whole puppy, including reproductive organs.

Reproductive organs/hormones do not serve only to make the next generation possible. They are an integral part of the endocrine system and important to the process of maturation, and to the ongoing function of an adult animal.

Over time, I have come to regard de-sexing as something that I, personally, will have done if and when it addresses a specific medical need. If there was some aspect of living with a particular dog due to it's reproductive status which was a problem which I chose not to or was unable to address otherwise, I also would opt for de-sexing. I no longer choose to have reproductive organs removed simply because they are there, for my convenience or for birth control.

I am not advocating that anyone else should adopt my perspective, but I think it is important that folks educate themselves and understand that de-sexing is a medical decision which should be made thoughtfully and in an informed manner.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
but I think it is important that folks educate themselves and understand that de-sexing is a medical decision which should be made thoughtfully and in an informed manner.
I totally agree with you on that! I've already started looking into it so that I can decide on what I think!

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Mary is the real deal, and I woudln't hesitate to buy from her. She is one of the few breeders, that if I was looking for a dog, and she had what I wanted, I would feel comfortable without traveling to see the dog. She is pretty involved in the doberman world, and personally, I would feel comfortable going on her word alone if she said one of her pups was a good match for me.

·
Puppy Whipped
73 Posts
I'm still in the research stage of my Doberman-breeder search and I'm trying to gain some information on Glengate Dobermans.

Just wondering if anyone has experience in dealing with Glengate Dobermans. Does anyone have a dog from them?

From what I've seen through my searches, they seem to be active on the forum and respected by other doberman breeders/owners. I can't actually find any threads that really deal with them... just kind of in passing. (If someone else knows of a thread for them that I just haven't been able to find, I'd be interested in reading it)

Just trying to gain some insight :)
Sorry to necro an old thread. I was admiring Meadowcat's pics of her dobies and the first is listed as Glengate's Mountain Fortress. So I checked out the Glengate Dobermans website and was very sad to see that under litters she'd listed her last litter being in 2012. My aunt was also a dobie breeder (Alevique) who passed away in 2013 but before she passed away she passed on her line to a fellow breeder. Did Mary do anything like that? Is anyone still breeding Glengate dobes with her breeding goals of health/longevity?

·
Super Moderator
15,472 Posts
Sorry to necro an old thread. I was admiring Meadowcat's pics of her dobies and the first is listed as Glengate's Mountain Fortress. So I checked out the Glengate Dobermans website and was very sad to see that under litters she'd listed her last litter being in 2012. My aunt was also a dobie breeder (Alevique) who passed away in 2013 but before she passed away she passed on her line to a fellow breeder. Did Mary do anything like that? Is anyone still breeding Glengate dobes with her breeding goals of health/longevity?
Her DT username is Maryanddobes and I think I saw her post on a thread today. If you are interested in her dogs I'm sure you could private message her or email/call from her website. There a number of other breeders who focus heavily on longevity too.

·
Premium Member
8,599 Posts
Mary is fine and will probably see this and respond soon. There are really good breeders out there that only breed every so often - my last litter was also in 2012.

·
Super Moderator
21,714 Posts
Holy old thread, but it makes my heart warm in a lot of ways. Funny how many of us are "grabby hands" for Mary's dogs, huh?? I sure would take another in a red hot minute!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts