Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

Well today as usual I went for a walk with my trainer friend and 2 of her dogs, as we were walking in an area where people might be we kept our dogs on their leads, Toby wearing his soft muzzle, not the cage type.

As we were walking alongside the irrigation canal (about 30 feet wide and 15 feet deep with fast moving water within the sheer concrete sides) we saw something bobbing in the water, zig zagging from either side. My friend pointed it out and we conjectured whether it was a ball or a duck or the like, but then horror of horrors we realised it was a little spaniel.
As we ran towards it we saw a man running parallel to it obviously trying to get it to come to the side to him so he could pull it out. We called to him, did he need help, his reply was YES!
So my friend and I commanded our respective dogs to sit (which they did) and we dropped their leads and dashed to the canal side. I lay down (being the tallest) and reached for the dog, but it slipped out of my hands (it was so exhauasted it was rolling over and over in the water a look of terror in its eyes). Jumping up I moved a little further downstream and lay down again and reached out. I was so far over the side I was in danger of going in head first. I managed to grab the skin on his back and hauled with all my might. My friend then reached round my side and grabbed his bottom whilst the man knelt down and grabbed the dogs head and between us we hauled the dog in. He was so cold and exhausted he just slumped on the ground. I took off my jacket and we began to rub him dry with it. All the while our dogs had sat watching the unfolding drama but on seeing this little mite near dead on the floor they came over.
By this time we had 2 more men beside us. All debating what to do with the dog, the consensus was leave it to find its own way home.
It would have simply curled up and died from hyperthermia in our opinion so we wrapped it up and starting to carry it between us back the 2.5 miles towards the main road. Our aim to get it into the warm and then to a vets.
Then one of the men noticed Toby licking the poor mite as if to say, 'it's okay, my mum is here,' and shouted, "watch out, that dog will bite the little one"

Oh for the love of ..............

Give a Dobe a break will ya.....

Just give a Dobe a break,

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How sweet of Toby! Hope the man apologized.
Nope, not a bit, instead he lectured me on how dangerous Dobermans were, whilst all the while Toby was licking the little spaniel and whining as if he were very concerned indeed for the little mite.

Latest report from my friend, Spaniel, (whom we have nicknamed SPUD) is now dry, still shaking (probably from shock more than cold now). The vet has given him a couple of shots (not sure of what probably anti-biotics) as he had foam coming out of his nose which is a sign he inhaled water. My friend has taken him back to hers (our vet doesnt have an overnight stay facility) and we are now trying to trace his owner. None of the men who were on the canal bank owned him.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
again Toby handled himself well good boy Toby
I am constantly surprised at what he does, believe you me I am not that good a trainer, in fact I am abysmal at it compared to say my friend so it isn't due to my efforts. He just does it naturally.

I honestly believe Dobes are a very special breed of dog that must be owned to be truly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
So happy you guys were able to save that poor baby. Hope you will be able to locate the owner.

What a good boy Toby. Some people are so ignorant! I know people arent quick to approach Kyrah especially since she has become all grown up. But I am very happy that I dont get all the negative bull**it I hear a lot of people on here do. With that said I am sure I will hear something very soon. hehe

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update on Spud the Spaniel (as we are calling him).

Off to the vets again today, just to give him an another check-up. He had a good night, curled up with one of my friends dogs so he was warm, comfortable and safe. I have spread the word around the local area we have found a dog and hopefully his owners will come forward. To be honest if he was a girl it is more likely as the locals prize females higher than males, (BYB at their best here you know). But we are hopeful whomever owned him will be glad to get him back, if not we will try and rehome him asap.

Toby got extra cuddles last night for being such a good boy and for showing the ignorant man just what a Dobe is about, not permanent teeth and fur flying but gentleness when it is called for.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Latest update on Spud the Spaniel.

The vet couldnt find a microchip so unfortunately he cannot be reunited with his owner this way. (it is illegal to have a dog in Spain that isnt microchipped so it makes one wonder how responsible his owners really are/were). My friend truly doesnt have room for another dog and I cannot take him because he is male so he is off to a local animal shelter where the hope is someone will come along and adopt him. (The shelter never put a healthy dog to sleep so he isnt living on borrowed time with them).
I am going to keep on trying to find someone to take him in, but it will be difficult simply because he is male and the folk round these parts do not value them as highly as females. But we shall persevere.

I couldnt leave him to drown and I will not turn my back on him now. Please keep your fingers crossed for him.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts