Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sorry if this is not the right spot for this. I'm still finding my way around? Question What is Giardia and is is curable or fatal We are rescuing a 2yr old Dobie named JED. Picking him up tomorrow in Southern WI. They said he had it and lost alot if weight . But has gained it all back and is looking very well now. Thank you Dan

·
Registered
222 Posts
giardia "Beaver Fever" is a parasite from eating feces or drinking water with urine in it, it is diagnosed by a SNAP Test with a fecal sample, and treated with meds, which may cause loose bowel movements. The vet I work for usually recommends giving pepto bismol with food to ease the bowels

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
Having had it myself thanks to drinking bore water at the stables....think dysentry plus throwing up even the smallest amount of water! Nasty nasty bug that is relatively easy to get rid of with huge doses of tetracyclines. I have NEVER felt so sick in my entire life and it was 8 days before I was diagnosed ...and suffered every one of them!

I also dropped down under 45kgs thanks to it. (hmm....looking at my weight now, I could probably do with another dose! :lol: )

·
Censored
716 Posts
Giardia is really common and is usually spread through fecal contamination. Often you have to treat, wait a bit, test the stool to make sure it is gone... Do not get discouraged if you have to retreat because unlike most parasites, giardia is a little different. Generally the life cycle must be interrupted... hence the retesting. The adults stop reproducing and die off.
Good hygiene is important. It is zoonotic (like almost all parasites) meaning it can be transmitted between species. So wash your hands a lot and if you have any children, make sure they wash their hands often too. Occasionally the cysts (egg form) will stick to the fur around the rectum. Blah... also make sure and immediately clean up any "piles" in the back yard or wherever Jed will go potty. This will help avoid re-contamination. I know some vets even recommend wiping off their feet after they come in from outside.
It is very important to finish all the medications as directed by the vet and to retest the stool sample even if your dog isn't symptomatic because they can transmit giardia even if the stool is normal. Giardia can be tricky... but it is definitely curable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Giardia is Curable

I am sorry if this is not the right spot for this. I'm still finding my way around? Question What is Giardia and is is curable or fatal We are rescuing a 2yr old Dobie named JED. Picking him up tomorrow in Southern WI. They said he had it and lost alot if weight . But has gained it all back and is looking very well now. Thank you Dan
Hi, I had the same problem with Giardia after my dog drank out of a nearby stream. It's a parasite that inhabits the intestines. I didn't even know my dog had the problem until his checkup. We chose not to treat the problem since my dog rarely comes in contact with others. It's up to you and the vet. I found these sites helpful when researching the disease - Giardia in Dogs

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everybody for your help. We just picked up JED on Thanksgiving. I will post picks when i can figure out how to do it. (my daughter is at work, so im on my own :) )

·
Registered
293 Posts
One more thing about Giardia...as annolyn said, wipe his feet when he comes in and also wipe his bum with baby wipe after he goes. My vet also had me give Gemma a bath once a week.

·
mastiffied
1,455 Posts
Hi, I had the same problem with Giardia after my dog drank out of a nearby stream. It's a parasite that inhabits the intestines. I didn't even know my dog had the problem until his checkup. We chose not to treat the problem since my dog rarely comes in contact with others. It's up to you and the vet. I found these sites helpful when researching the disease - Giardia in Dogs
I'm not following your reasoning for not treating, and am surprised that your vet presented that as an option.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts