Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be picking up my puppy this Saturday. He will be 8 weeks and 2 days old. I scheduled him an appointment to have his ears cropped that next Thursday.

My question is, will this be too fast since that only gives him 5 days to settle in and bond with me and my dad? Do you think it will traumatize him?

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
A reputable breeder will send the puppies home with ears already cropped and also tons of support/answers to questions like this. This breed is plagued with many health problems, and on top of that, there seems to be a great number of temperament problems with puppies from back yard breeders as well.

Please check out this thread and decide if you should continue with the 'purchase' and support the breeder you chose:
Reputable Breeder Checklist

Also this:
Helpful Breeder Information

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Is there a reason the breeder didn't take care of it? Reputable breeders typically crop and wait for ears to heal before sending them home.

I would also be SURE the vet you are going to specializes in DOBERMAN CROPS

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hes going to Dr. Garrett in Fayetteville, NC. I've heard nothing but good things about him.

The breeder docks tails but doesn't crop ears. Hes pure bred and titled. Not sure why the breeder doesn't crop ears.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
congrats on your upcoming puppy.

have you ever had a pup with cropped ears?

if your breeder is not helping you through this then make sure you find someone near you who can assist with the tapings if you yourself do not know how.

·
Semper Fidelis
857 Posts
I would also inquire with the breeder as to why this expertise isn't offered through them. Cropping isn't just a surgery, it's (to a certain extent) an art form as it must match the puppy's full grown head. My pup and those in the litter that were not requested to remain natural were all done by a fantastic vet, well know by the breeder for cropping expertise. Cropped and healed before they left the breeder.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Welcome to DT.
Congrats on getting your puppy.!!!!
To answer your question:
As for the bonding, the pup will not be traumatized to the point, that he/she will not bond with you afterwards or hold it against you. He/she might not be too keen on the Doc, but he wont see him afterwards anyways.
There is a sticky,regarding posting instructions.

·
Back Off
1,721 Posts
Hes going to Dr. Garrett in Fayetteville, NC. I've heard nothing but good things about him.

The breeder docks tails but doesn't crop ears. Hes pure bred and titled. Not sure why the breeder doesn't crop ears.
If you check out the links I posted, you're question will be answered :nicejob:

·
Starchild
170 Posts
It'll be fine and as for posting there's tons of help here. It's not as daunting and difficult as it may look- take it from a guy whose never had a puppy let a lone one that requires work like this. I do have my sister help me out it took a few trials but now we have it down pat. I had really bad experience with tape, make sure it's tough- but not so tough that it will rip hairs out!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts