Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, we got our pup a big nice bed (he sleeps at night in his crate very well).
The thing is, he just doesn’t want to settle in it during the day, instead he tries to climb on the couch or pester my wife and I.
Does anyone have any tips to get him to settle in his bed? We’ve tried treats, luring, sitting with him. Happy to stick with things for consistency and perseverance, but keen to know of any other tips.

·
Big Lil pup
6,774 Posts
Hi felipe...
First off...If you want your boy to rest on his bed only, you should absolutely never allow him on any furniture, including your bed(s). My 6 year old male was kept off all furniture since his arrival at 10 weeks. Now it would never occur to him to "settle" anywhere other than in his crate or on one the several dog beds that we have strewn around our house.

Also... When I want him out of the way, He has a specific command to retreat to one of his beds. (usually the one closest to me!) The command is "PLACE". It is the only one that I use for this purpose. This command was taught to him the exact same way all of his other commands were taught to him... Consistent and calm persistence followed a reasonable reward. It took him a couple of brief sessions to learn what I expected. And, in a very short time he was quite reliably cooperative.

I hope this helps

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi felipe...
First off...If you want your boy to rest on his bed only, you should absolutely never allow him on any furniture, including your bed(s). My 6 year old male was kept off all furniture since his arrival at 10 weeks. Now it would never occur to him to "settle" anywhere other than in his crate or on one the several dog beds that we have strewn around our house.

Also... When I want him out of the way, He has a specific command to retreat to one of his beds. (usually the one closest to me!) The command is "PLACE". It is the only one that I use for this purpose. This command was taught to him the exact same way all of his other commands were taught to him... Consistent and calm persistence followed a reasonable reward. It took him a couple of brief sessions to learn what I expected. And, in a very short time he was quite reliably cooperative.

I hope this helps

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR
thank you John. We’ve maybe made a slight error with letting him on the couch. Perhaps we need some corrective behaviour. Ziggy is 12 weeks old and we’ve had him for 4 weeks now but it’s only been this week he’s been allowed up. I’ll go back to the “bed“ command andkeep trying. Thanks for the insight again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts