Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be getting our new Dobie on saturday. He will be 12 weeks old. Last friday, he had his ears done. Apparantly, his mother licked some of the stiches on the ears and they are irritated and a little red. He is currently on antibiotics and topical. I am concerned that this could delay the posting process and ultimately the ability to get them to stand. What is the best way to treat them and tape them ? Is there anyone in UPSTATE NY that I could bring him to to ensure that his ears are properly attended to and taped properly? I have read up on it, but I want to make sure that it is done right from the start.
I thank you in advance,

Mike

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
you have nothing to worry about, the little one will have plenty of time for his ears to stand. People on the forum have had puppies with infection and had to keep the ears down for weeks at a time and there are standing perfectly.

is your breeder out of state and not able to help? I am sure some people on the forum that are more familiar with your area will chime in about some people that might be able to help you.

Reactions: pwncakesauce

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
There is a thread full of willing people here but you'll have to do some sifting. But yes, your pup's ears should be fine :]

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
27,463 Posts
No posting or taping can be done until after the stitches have been removed and any infections/sores are healed.

If he is getting antibiotics and topicals (prescribed by vet) he should have no problem healing promptly, and you will be able to start posting with plenty of time for his ears to stand properly.

I would check with your breeder to ask if the puppy has seen a vet for his ears or if there is any concern about the extent of his ear problem. For the vast majority of cases with a properly done and cared for crop, this kind of thing presents no lasting problem.

If you look in the Educational Archives here on this forum, there is information about dealing with ear cropping and a good tutorial (with pictures) about how to post a puppy's ears.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts