Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i decided to have Tank neutered. As a kid we never spayed or nuetered our dogs but now as a responsible adult I know this is the ONLY option. How long is recovery time

·
Registered
974 Posts
How long is a piece of string?... I would say its down to each individual dog. Odin took a couple of days to get back to his usual self but the vet wouldn't take the stitches out for 10 days after the op. What age are you planning on getting him done?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Recovery time for Diesel was about a day :rolleyesww: was back to being a hyper bouncy boy in no time. Stitches were dissolvable ones so we didn't have to go back to the vets, it took about 2 weeks to heal completely, but I guess alot depends on the individual dog.

·
Alpha SheepDog
1,366 Posts
Nubis had disposable stiches and the vet said 10 days light activity....
It didnt even phase him, i dont thiink he even knew he had surgery as he never licked it or anything. As far as activity, he was his normal bounce off the wall self. It stressed me out more, trying to get him, to not run around like a retard. lol

Reactions: Zeblar

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my vet recommended it be done between 4 and 6 months, He is 4 months as of today

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Ahhh, come on, mmctaq, theyre new. Give'em a break and a chance to learn the other options. ///// OP, I wouldnt neuter till he is 18 months of age as long as you can make sure he wont produce any puppies before nevering. Let those growth plates close first.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Gunner was neutered at 6 months and never knew what hit him. He literally came bouncing out of the vet's office like nothing had happened. Keeping him quiet for the requested 10 days was a joke and I gave up after two days of crate rest. I got him neutered at 6 months because I had another dog neutered when he was much older and it was a very hard recovery for him. A lot of people say to wait until they are at least 18 months so just do your research and do what works best for you :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
Gunner was neutered at 6 months and never knew what hit him. He literally came bouncing out of the vet's office like nothing had happened. Keeping him quiet for the requested 10 days was a joke and I gave up after two days of crate rest.
^^^ Same for me.

I'd probably wait until later the next time around, but that's a decision for each individual to make.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Gus was neutered by the rescue, but I don't think I would neuter until at least a year. granted I would have it done eventually, but it's definitely a personal choice I think.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry i shoula explained this is the only option for me. Here in Utah, as im sure it is every where else over breeding is a huge problem and our shelters are over flowing. A few of my dogs had unplanned litters and we had a hard time getting rid of them. Thanks for all the replys :)

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Sorry i shoula explained this is the only option for me. Here in Utah, as im sure it is every where else over breeding is a huge problem and our shelters are over flowing. A few of my dogs had unplanned litters and we had a hard time getting rid of them. Thanks for all the replys :)
Not to poke you with a stick, but properly managed and supervised intact animals make puppies only if and when that is the decision of the owner. If your only option to prevent reproduction is surgery, then I am left wondering what risks and hazards your dog will otherwise be exposed to. Neutered dogs get hit by cars, stolen, engage in fighting, become neighborhood nuisances, fall victim to all manner of accidents, etc. If you cannot keep a dog from siring puppies, how are you going to keep him safe from all of the other stuff???

·
Registered
551 Posts
In my opinion, 4-6 months is much, much too early to neuter. If you can, I would suggest waiting until at least 12 months, if not 18 months.
Do you have a secure, tall fence that he cannot easily escape from? You're right about not wanting to accidentally create more puppies.
As everyone else has stated, the decision about when to/if to neuter is personal. Speaking from a lot of experience with both neutered and intact dogs, I know I will never keep a dog intact for much longer than two years old. There are lots of people who prefer to live with intact males, but it's not something that I would enjoy one bit! :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not to poke you with a stick, but properly managed and supervised intact animals make puppies only if and when that is the decision of the owner. If your only option to prevent reproduction is surgery, then I am left wondering what risks and hazards your dog will otherwise be exposed to. Neutered dogs get hit by cars, stolen, engage in fighting, become neighborhood nuisances, fall victim to all manner of accidents, etc. If you cannot keep a dog from siring puppies, how are you going to keep him safe from all of the other stuff???
Not to cause problems or anything but all of that stuff can happen to dogs whether they are intact or not. Neutering in my opinion is a good idea because I work in an animal shelter and you wouldn't believe how many dogs/puppies get turned in because 2 unaltered dogs accidently bred.

Spaying/neutering can make a better pet and decreases the chance of getting cancer (and you can feed them less) and unlike you said they are less likely to get out to become a nuisance, but all animals can get hit by cars or fight if they are altered or not. Like I said I'm just stating my opinion and like everyone said altering a pet is a personal decision.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Not to cause problems or anything but all of that stuff can happen to dogs whether they are intact or not. Neutering in my opinion is a good idea because I work in an animal shelter and you wouldn't believe how many dogs/puppies get turned in because 2 unaltered dogs accidently bred.

Spaying/neutering can make a better pet and decreases the chance of getting cancer (and you can feed them less) and unlike you said they are less likely to get out to become a nuisance, but all animals can get hit by cars or fight if they are altered or not. Like I said I'm just stating my opinion and like everyone said altering a pet is a personal decision.
This was kinda my point: that stuff can happen to a dog intact or not. To say that surgery is the only option to prevent reproduction is also to imply that one knows up front that one cannot or chooses not to adequately supervise/manage/control one's dog.

With regard to cancer, the rates of osteosarcoma, hemangiosarcoma and prostate cancer are HIGHER for castrated dogs than intact dogs

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the advice and in put i will have to look at all the precautions needed. I guess it seemed like the only option because my last dog got pregnant becuse my neighbor had a dog who could some how climb fences and got in my backyard and got busy. Thanks again its nice to have and outsiders opinion and different perspectives.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This was kinda my point: that stuff can happen to a dog intact or not. To say that surgery is the only option to prevent reproduction is also to imply that one knows up front that one cannot or chooses not to adequately supervise/manage/control one's dog.

With regard to cancer, the rates of osteosarcoma, hemangiosarcoma and prostate cancer are HIGHER for castrated dogs than intact dogs
Ooooh. Ok my apologies. From all that I thought you were saying neutred dogs would be in those situations because they were neutered. Sorry about that. I should have taken some time to really read it. Just working at a shelter you encounter some ridiculous people so I tend to jump on the defensive. : )

·
Maximus Odin Aurelius
549 Posts
Maximus only had one testicle drop so he had a really extensive surgery. But even with that, it only took him 3 days to recover.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Thanks for the advice and in put i will have to look at all the precautions needed. I guess it seemed like the only option because my last dog got pregnant becuse my neighbor had a dog who could some how climb fences and got in my backyard and got busy. Thanks again its nice to have and outsiders opinion and different perspectives.
Yeah, that's one of the things that can happen... dogs jump over or dig under and can actually breed through fences. When my girl is in season, she does not go outside unattended even though my yard is fully fenced. When my male was still alive, one of the two was always crated when she was in season.

I sometimes forget that I have it easy. I am the only one responsible for my dogs and there is no one else in a position to screw up. Had I a small child or were I (still <vbg>) married to someone less careful than I, I might make different decisions regarding leaving animals intact.

I am glad you didn't take what I wrote as an insult or a lecture... that wasn't my intent.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts