Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Getting my pups to play tug of war...

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Kbroome 
#1 ·
I have two doberman pups and i cant get either of them to play tug of war with me. Is this normal...??? The female loves playing with the rope and toys that are used for tug of war but as soon as i grab it to pull she drops it and just stares at me lol. And the male will still hold onto the toy when i grab it but as soon as i pull even a little bit he lets go and sits down and waits for me to give it back to him. Any suggestions...i love playing tug of war with other pups and dogs to help burn some of their energy. Maybe they just aren't into it... :confused2

#2 ·
it depends on the dog. You can teach a dog to tug. I would start by dragging the toy on the ground. See if you can get the dog to pounce on it. Let the dog win and carry the toy off. drag again...slowly increase your resistance/tugging on the toy.

#5 · (Edited)
My first dobe pup in 1977, never got ball-fetch / she loved tug-of-war though.
Our current AMY, mastered "fetch & tug" at 9 weeks old.

What was the difference:

- I took pro training lessons
(27 weeks-totaling 27 hours, one summer + 1 hr./day homework, for the better part of a 1/2 year)

Maybe some of my training shortfall (in the late 1970's) was me.
- puppy #2, had a massive learning head start...because I finally knew, what I was doing & confident to do it
- mistakes avoided & prey drive training with eye focus NOW as a cornerstone, in my puppy play routine

I am going to give your question, more attention later / as I have errands, to run now.

#6 ·
I lucked out and my boy loves playing tug of war. The problem now is he is so powerful I always tend to lose. When we first started playing I would drag his rope on the ground till he grabbed it then I would start tugging on it, at first he would usually let go but he soon caught on that it was a game to tug back. Now all he wants to do is play tug of war and will often bring a toy and drop it in your lap to play. Good luck with the training :)

#7 ·
Both of my girls like to play tug, though the older one likes it alot more than my younger one. I think it depends on each individual dog, some just arent as into it as others.
As for how to teach it to them, I dont really know how to instruct you to do that, mine just seemed to know.

Reactions: Ashlee
#8 ·
Just like going to a local fair or midway:
- the carnival guys, are great at talking it up / projecting fun & much excitement
As one plays their different games of chance...until your money, burns a hole in your pocket...and it dwindles away.

Play & train, sitting on the floor - so your eye level is lowered to the dogs.
Keep switching from playing tug to playing ball...keep it interesting.
With many games, the "carrot" for the dog, can simply be the fun in your voice and that becomes the toy bait.

#9 ·
You can do some drive building and build up the frustration for the toy. Tie him back on a 16-18 inch line and tease him with the toy until he is frustrated, then let him get it in his mouth and pull against him. Since he is tied back, if his grip is loose he will lose the toy. He will soon figure out that to keep playing he has to hold on tight! This is how you start most drive building for all high level training where the dog needs a lot of prey/play/toy drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.