Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, just wanting to know what a good food for a puppy is. I thought about Beneful but I'm not sure how good it actually is and thought I would get some advice from everyone here.

·
BYB Hunter
1,058 Posts
Well, try asking your breeder! My catchphrase is the breeder knows best! If you got one from a reputable breeder, then he/she should help you. Mine personally recommended Purina Pro Plan Salmon, but I have heard good things about Taste of the Wild!

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Beneful is a terrible food! It's full of unnecessary grains, dyes, and fillers.

A lot of people on the forum feed:

Canidae
Wellness
Acana
Orijen
Purina One or Pro Plan(not as good as others but some dobes tolerate it better)
Natural Balance
Evo
Blue Buffalo
Taste of The Wild
Some also feed raw or half raw

You'll want to find either puppy variety or an all life stages food to feed. Make sure to look for no by-product meal of any kind, no corn or dyes, and that the proteins/main ingredients on the front of the bag are listed (especially the protein) within the first three ingredient on the bag i.e. chicken and rice: chicken should be first second or third ingredient on bag and be chicken, whole deboned chicken, etc...

Good luck with the new pup, and don't forget to post pictures! We love puppy pics :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want taste of the wild but the only place i've seen it was 3 hours away when i was at a pet shop close to my friends house. Looks like I would have made a bad choice with the beneful though. I'll be sure to ask and thank you all.

·
Registered
939 Posts
We feed Blue Buffalo Wilderness Puppy, mostly because its the best food I was able to find at Petsmart and it has a lower protein amount than Orijen, but she loves it and is doing well on it :) We tried Orijen but it was awful on her- the gas and diarrhea were just terrible, her system wasn't taking the high amounts of protein well. Just my experience/research though! I'm sure there are others that we will try in the future.

I'm glad you're doing research on what to feed your puppy! He'll thank you later :)

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
I'm now ordering my dog's food off of PetFlow. Not all foods on there are cheaper but the food I've chosen to switch my dog to is $10 cheaper on PetFlow than it is at the places that carry it here. Shipping is free if you set up your food to ship every few weeks. I'm still new to the whole ting but so far I REALLY like it. I"m saving money on food and on gas. If you don't have many places near you to get food I think this could be a good option for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts