Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi just a newbi here.. my dobbie red is going to have his ear cropped at tyhe same time get his tail cropped.. this coming week.. can anybody give me some pre-surgery advice/procedures that i should do.. she about 3 months.. is this ok that im doing ear cropping and tail docking at the same time? thanks in advance..

·
Registered
190 Posts
It's too late for tail docking, It should of been done when he was born, and you are probably just on the border for his ear's to be cropped.

The ear's are usually done at 8 weeks of age , but can be done at 12-15 weeks.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
dobie lover said:
It's too late for tail docking, It should of been done when he was born, and you are probably just on the border for his ear's to be cropped.
I've had rescue puppies cropped and docked (and dewclaws done as well) at 8-9 weeks. While it's definitely more of a procedure than docking at 2-3 days old, I really didn't feel docking them at this age was overly hard on them, and would do it again should the situation occur. Puppies are re-docked at ear cropping all the time if the original dock turned out to be too long.

·
Registered
521 Posts
We had a full grown dog come in and had his tail docked.

It might not be to late. I've seen it too.
Murreydobe said:
I've had rescue puppies cropped and docked (and dewclaws done as well) at 8-9 weeks. While it's definitely more of a procedure than docking at 2-3 days old, I really didn't feel docking them at this age was overly hard on them, and would do it again should the situation occur. Puppies are re-docked at ear cropping all the time if the original dock turned out to be too long.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
We prefer to see the ears done sooner, but I don't believe it is too late, just express any concerns to the vet that is doing the surgery. There really is no limit to getting the tail done. I've sat through surgeries when adult dogs have had their tails amutated for various reasons. Ideally though as a little few day old pooch is best. As they get older there is more pain and work involved in the surgery and with the aftercare. But no I don't believe you are too late to dock.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Murreydobe said:
One of my got re-docked. Nothing too major, just a little off. I know of a person who imports and crops/docks/declaws theirs when they arrive as puppies. But it is easier when they are young for sure.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yes like the others said, usually it is already done by that age. However I also have seen docking done later on, cause the org. docking was too long. So it can be done. Have heard cropping done at a later age for special cases.

Good Luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts