Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello DT, I have been lurking for years reading breeder recommendations, health threads, etc. I finally felt I was ready to consider a new dog and filled out an application fully prepared to wait for a year for the right fit, as I have learned is common with reputable breeders. However I was shocked when I got a reply a few days later with pictures of a beautiful male 6 month old dobe. I currently have a two and a half year old female altered pitbull. We are okay with the monetary commitment and driving nearly across the country but I am slightly concerned that he is not fully socialized. He has not been around other dogs besides dobermans and has not started any formal training. We have raised dobermans before understand that socialization and training is crucial. I think an older puppy would fit in well, but want opinions if he is getting a late start. I am planning to enroll him in training immediately and after he is adjusted start talking him to the beach, park (not a dog park), downtown, etc. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
15,330 Posts
"Welcome" to DT, even though you've been lurking for a while. It's hard to know how well this puppy has been socialized without asking more questions of the breeder. However, if he's coming from a reputable "show" breeder he or she may have been keeping him to let him grow and see if he's show quality. This could me he may be well socialized around other dogs and people, if he's been taken to local shows or other highly active places with the other dogs and people. I would want to know more about the sire and Dam and their temperaments but I wouldn't be too concerned about getting a puppy from a good breeder at this age. As for starting training late, I actually don't think it's very late at 5/6 months, nor is it ever too late or too early. I hope it works out!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, that probably is the case as they were initially looking for a show home and the breeder is highly recommended and on UDC/DPCA lists. Just looking for some reassurance as I think it's a good fit but was not expecting this a few weeks ago! I'm trying to figure out how to post a picture of him.

·
Extraordimary
4,924 Posts
As a breeder, I have had the odd time that I kept a potential show prospect that didn't work out to be one or just held on to one that seemed a little different and I wanted to see how it grew out. Occasionally, I have placed one around a year old or 18 months-ish. I might not have taken it to obedience class (although sometimes I did) but I certainly know how to train a dog to live in my house. And they do live in my house, not in a kennel. So, if this is a breeder's dog living in a house (with other Dobermans, it sounds like), I don't really see the issue. In my case, those dogs were crate trained, were house trained, had travelled around in the car, were leash trained, etc. Not going to a formal class doesn't mean the dog is a heathen. Presumably, they wanted a dog they could live with comfortably in their home? You'd have to ask them if it's been in a kennel or in the home.

·
Super Moderator
21,138 Posts
As a breeder, I have had the odd time that I kept a potential show prospect that didn't work out to be one or just held on to one that seemed a little different and I wanted to see how it grew out. Occasionally, I have placed one around a year old or 18 months-ish. I might not have taken it to obedience class (although sometimes I did) but I certainly know how to train a dog to live in my house. And they do live in my house, not in a kennel. So, if this is a breeder's dog living in a house (with other Dobermans, it sounds like), I don't really see the issue. In my case, those dogs were crate trained, were house trained, had travelled around in the car, were leash trained, etc. Not going to a formal class doesn't mean the dog is a heathen. Presumably, they wanted a dog they could live with comfortably in their home? You'd have to ask them if it's been in a kennel or in the home.
Getting one of these was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I'd say it all depends on the breeder. If it's someone like Mary, jump on that puppy before someone else scoops it up :) You might get really lucky and end up with the best dog you ever had, and you get to skip the hard, young puppy stage!

·
Big Lil pup
6,121 Posts
Ah.... Puppy pick up! There is no better excuse for a road trip.

I hope this all works out for you.

BTW, when traveling with my dog(s) these days I have become enamored with Best Western Plus. One big step up from your average Best Western and the most dog friendly inns that I have ever stayed at. The dogs can go anywhere in the place except for the restaurants. But every Plus I have stayed at has had room service, so no problem. The last two (Bozeman and Boise) had interior open air courts specifically dedicated to dogs, maintained immaculately. Amazing.

Again... Best to you and hopefully the pup.

John
Portland OR

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for the sage advice. I will update and try to post some pictures. I'm sure I will have some more questions on training and such, but we are really excited to have a dobe in the family again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts