Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

So Pitu my 2yo female sometimes eats things like socks, something from the yard.. you know how some dobies are. I am always checking her feces and I find things. She has no access to trash cans and we dont give her human food at all. But maybe she had something from the compost bin that it is in the yard? Sometimes she smashes plastic bottles.. her toys are safe.
I suspect she ate two dishwashing sponges that are gone but I dont recall when they had disappear. She had ate them in the past but in small pieces.

Two days ago she throw up all her kibble in the morning. That night I gave her rice and she throw it up among with yellow bilis. Yesterday I took her to the vet who said she believed it is a gastritis since her stomach feels soft and that also she isn't poisoned cause she has no signs like excess of saliva.
She won't eat (though yesterday she was supposed to give her stomach a break) Just now she went to the yard and throw up water and grass again.

My vet says it could still be only a gastritis. She haven't pooped but I think it is logic cause she has nothing in her system. She is alerady showing her ribs.

So we are heading to an emergency to run some X-rays and in the evening an ecography. I hope it is only a Gi problem, wish us luck.

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Collar Working animal

· Registered
2,703 Posts
I had a female who had gastritis several times. It can get serious very quickly if not treated. Typically, in our case at least, we would give her sub-cutaneous fluids, a medicine to help with nausea, and an appetite stimulant.

Keeping good thoughts for your girl!

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well we are home now. SHE IS GOOD. I could say she is almost normal, she started looking better while we were going to the vet and at the waiting room. So..IDK what happen. Yesterday she looked miserable and about to die.

She had a blood sample that takes 48 hours to have the results + X-ray that showed she has feces and a veery slight inflammation in her intestines. It looks like there isn't a a blockage, thankfully. If it isn't bowel movement she will get and ecography on Friday. She got some medicine for nausea, a stomach protector, hepatic protector and something to stop her vomit. She lost 9lb since new year :oops:
Now she has been running with my other dog, drank water and I gave her a tiny bit of rice and boiled chicken. She preferred her kibble so at night I will try to give her another bit. I hope she poops and doesn't throw up again.

I bathe her cause she came smelling bad from the vet and she wanted to play with the hose like crazy, I didn't let her just in case.

Dog Carnivore Grass Collar Dog sports

I have a theory, on Christmas Eve I was in a hurry so I gave a frozen femur for about 2 hours cause I couldn't take her out on her daily walk (I had gave her that bone every once in a while with no problems). The next few days she pooped calcium, white dry poop. I think she got constipated and then ended up throwing up days later.
What do you guys think?

· Registered
345 Posts
Poor girlie. I hope she continues to recover. Might take her a couple days to poop if she hasn't been eating and has been vomiting. You didn't say if you give her probiotics? That might help her intestines recover if this was a virus/inflammation. I wonder if giving her canned pumpkin would help too, as it would provide some roughage to help w/ constipation. And getting her to drink too, maybe some broth that's okay for dogs.

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Poor girlie. I hope she continues to recover. Might take her a couple days to poop if she hasn't been eating and has been vomiting. You didn't say if you give her probiotics? That might help her intestines recover if this was a virus/inflammation. I wonder if giving her canned pumpkin would help too, as it would provide some roughage to help w/ constipation. And getting her to drink too, maybe some broth that's okay for dogs.
No vomit during the night and she pooped. I found tiny hard feces with a lot of grass in it. It can't be from my male since he always goes on the same spots of the yard. Last night she didn't wanna eat soft food, I offered puppy kibble and she was delighted, so she had another small portion in the morning. I gave her a probiotics & digestive enzymes pills as you suggested. Great idea the broth and pumpkin, thanks for the tips :)

I am sure it has been only a Gastritis. Still waiting for her blood results.

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think it is a good idea to get further testing to eliminate (hopefully) the possibility that you could be looking at a blockage. Best of luck that she just ends up with a bit of gastritis.
Oh no. Fingers crossed it's not an obstruction. Good on you for noticing something wasn't right!

My parents had Dogos Argentinos and the male died from a stomach torsion. So I am always alert, a bit of a hypochondriac. I should more relaxed though lol.

· Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
31,689 Posts
I've had a similar situation. My last male bloated with a torsion. We had his stomach tacked during the surgery to keep the stomach from flipping, which was fortunate because he continued to have problems with bloating thankfully with no torsion (we think there was an allergy component to that) throughout his life, for a grand total of about 8 times (he lived to be almost 12 though.)

My last female had a very bad obstruction (a stick she had eaten jammed up against the valve between the large and small intestine and perforated the gut leading to peritonitis) which required a couple of surgeries with removal of some of the intestines each time to resolve. She continued to have problems with obstructions because of the scar tissue and required further surgeries, so eventually (after a couple of years) we put her to sleep.

Being alert is good--it gives you a chance to get the problem fixed before there is a lot of damage done. I actually credit DT for my male's decent (or at least manageable) outcome--I had read enough about bloat here that when he suddenly started vomiting repeatedly at about 2 AM one night, I knew about the possibility that he was bloating and was able to get him into the emergency vet in time.

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Hello again,

Well, the last few days she started eating again and being like her normal self but a bit serious. Today she spend all morning running around the pool and playing with water and at the evening walk she started vomiting bilis again... AGH After that she didn't wanna eat and looked miserable.
The emergency vet haven't sent me the blood results (they said they'll have them within 48 hours ) I gave her some medicine my vet prescribed if she had another bilis episode.

I think she has something and her body haven't finished processing it yet. Maybe I should do an eco, I will wait for my vet instructions. Today she had an emergency surgery but she said tomorrow she will be back to work.

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've had a similar situation. My last male bloated with a torsion. We had his stomach tacked during the surgery to keep the stomach from flipping, which was fortunate because he continued to have problems with bloating thankfully with no torsion (we think there was an allergy component to that) throughout his life, for a grand total of about 8 times (he lived to be almost 12 though.)

My last female had a very bad obstruction (a stick she had eaten jammed up against the valve between the large and small intestine and perforated the gut leading to peritonitis) which required a couple of surgeries with removal of some of the intestines each time to resolve. She continued to have problems with obstructions because of the scar tissue and required further surgeries, so eventually (after a couple of years) we put her to sleep.

Being alert is good--it gives you a chance to get the problem fixed before there is a lot of damage done. I actually credit DT for my male's decent (or at least manageable) outcome--I had read enough about bloat here that when he suddenly started vomiting repeatedly at about 2 AM one night, I knew about the possibility that he was bloating and was able to get him into the emergency vet in time.
Obstructions and stomach torsions are so stressful. You have to we constantly checking or having a good routine to avoid the torsion.

What a relief you noticed he wasn't okay and could do the surgery including tucking his stomach. 12 years is a lot for a dobe. Or was him another breed?
I notice my male bloats also. I give him his food at night cause he is a picky eater and then I send him to sleep to avoid getting a stomach torsion.

I am sorry for your girl. These days I have been fearful of a peritonitis.

· Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
- update -

It is 2 am right now, I listened she was whining and let her outside cause I thought she wanted to poop. She started eating grass like a goat and then she throw up grass and a bit of a boiled chicken she had before.
She looks restless like she do not want to lie in her bed. Breathing is normal. There isn't much I can do right now.

She also just chased my cat sooo I dont believe she is about to die (I always think the word case scenario) Right now she is her crate in another room but I can listen if she whines. Definitely taking her to the vet tomorrow.

· Super Moderator
Hairy Dog RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
31,689 Posts
Obstructions and stomach torsions are so stressful. You have to we constantly checking or having a good routine to avoid the torsion.

What a relief you noticed he wasn't okay and could do the surgery including tucking his stomach. 12 years is a lot for a dobe. Or was him another breed?
He was a doberman. Here's a bit I posted about him years ago. It's quite out-of-date, but anyway.....

"Kip has Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)--Eosinophilic variety. It's a vague diagnosis in some ways in that it can be caused by different things, but basically is a chronic inflammation of the intestinal system, which causes the symptoms of diarrhea, mucus in the stools, gas, vomiting, weight loss, and poor absorption of nutrients.

Glancing on-line, I thought this was a pretty good description of IBD: Chronic Digestive Problems In Your Dog IBD – Ron Hines' Vetspace – 2nd Chance – The Animal Health Website

Kip doesn't have the classic symptoms of a lot of diarrhea and vomiting, but he has bloated three times and been very ill those times--requiring surgery the first time to correct a stomach torsion. We had his stomach tacked during that surgery, so the following two times he had a severe gas build-up only and needed intensive care both times for several days.

He has allergies also and after a bunch of tests, the vets he sees (dermatologist, internist, general practitioner) are pretty sure his IBD is due to allergic food sensitivities. A biopsy of his stomach and upper intestinal area confirmed the presence of lots of inflammatory cells, especially eosinophils, which are the kind of white blood cells associated with allergic conditions.

Currently he is a stable and happy 8 year-old on a limited special diet (containing kangaroo, which is certainly a novel protein source for him). He is treated for his allergies (which show up both in skin problems, itching and staph infections, and also in his intestinal condition) with allergy shots and apoquel (a hard to get new medication for allergies), and various anti-itch topicals and antihistamines. He also receives low dose steroids--low dose prednisone, 5 mg every other day. We have on hand Metoclopramide, a medication for nausea and gas, which I have given a few times when it seemed to me that he might be headed toward another bloat flare-up. and which seems to stop these flare-ups before they have a chance to get severe.

Kip is doing really well--the meds are a bother to give, but most of them are not that expensive.

Kip's looking at the camera here:

· Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for sharing, Look Dobi (Doberman) have very high energy, they are very energetic, and at the time of hunger, they can't resist they eat whatever looks like food to them. My aunt had the same experience, She has a service dog Dobi, and got her PSD letter from My ESA Therapist. One day Dobi was inside the house and was locked in the house till evening, aunt forgot to place food for the Dobi, and when she arrived, Dobi ate her sofa, the sponge was torn and Dobi ate it. On the next day, Dobi stomach got upset, and she took her to the vet. On the whole. Doberman needs to be checked, we need to monitor all the activities regularly.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts