Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had problems with their dobe being really gassy. She jumps and farts. Some run you out of the room and others are just noise. I have her on California Natural Puppy. She is 9mo. old. I might try her on something else when this bag is done. She totally gulps up her food like she is starving. She has a very sensitive stomach and we have had diarhia problems especially if she gets anything with chicken. If someone has had these problems please give me some advice on what has worked for you.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Is it the Cal Natural Lamb puppy food? Both of mine get TERRIBLE gas when they eat anything with lamb. I try to stay away from it for that reason.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Well you could take her off puppy food at 9 months old. Maybe try something that is beef based. Are you mixing anything with the dry food?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I am using the Calf. natural lamb and rice. She has had horrible diarhia several times and I am pretty sure we have pinpointed it to anything w/ chicken in it. I only have her on the dry food and once in a while put in a spoon full of yogurt because of her stomach.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
Gulping food while eating is probably allowing more air into her stomach and then passing through. You might want to try a shallow tray for her to eat from. When kibble is spread out in a single laying, it causes her to slow down while eating because she is picking up a few pieces at a time. I had to experimant with multiple types of food until I found one that does not cause the smelly stuff. I have always noticed smelly gases when we had loose stools. Also I would start to switch her to an adult brand and get off the puppy kibble. Puppy kibble is like rocket fuel to us.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Java has gas when she isn't eating premium kibble or canned food (keep it on hand in a pinch). Less/zero gas when she is on brown rice/boiled chicken/carrots. I also don't feed her eggs every morning because the sulfur in eggs can be brutal. The less processing the less gas, I find. 'Better than Ears' gave her loose stools, so I am staying away from processed treats, other than Trader Joe's dog biscuits or dehydrated lamb lung as special training treats. She also gets plain low-fat yogurt (store-brand) mixed in with her food in the am to help keep the bacteria in her system balanced. That seems to help as well.

·
I Art Therefore I Am
3,813 Posts
dbarking said:
I am using the Calf. natural lamb and rice. She has had horrible diarhia several times and I am pretty sure we have pinpointed it to anything w/ chicken in it. I only have her on the dry food and once in a while put in a spoon full of yogurt because of her stomach.

Nike had the runs until we omitted the canned Evanger's chicken from her kibble. Her stools have been fine since.

The gas. Ugh. lol. As bad as it can be... things are working.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Chi's gas has diminished with age but she still has it and it will run you out of the room - I think she's even bothered by the smell!
Kratty's advice on a shallow feeding tray is right on in my opinion. I actually feed Chi out of a large pot - she can't gulp it as fast. You could also try adding water to her kibble OR putting a ball in with it so she has to eat around the ball to slow her down.
Switching from Nutro to Canidae helped quite a bit too.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Another thing to look at could be the treats that you give her. If mine eat rawhide of any type, they smell like they have rotted. They don't want to be in the same room. It is loud and exacuates all attendies. I have cleared isles at Petsmart with them. I have tried different types of rawhides, since they LOVE them, and I refuse to live with the smell. Pig ears do the same thing.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Okay Okay.. I will let my secret out..now don't tell anyone.. ShhHH.. go to Walmart.. go to the pharmacy dept.. ask the techs for Charcoal tabs..I like the caps better than the pills.. easier to give.. Give dobe 1 to 3 a day.. Gas will stop in a couple of days... it works on Hubbys too!!!!!! Trust me with 4 big dogs I know....

·
I Art Therefore I Am
3,813 Posts
frznbuns said:
Okay Okay.. I will let my secret out..now don't tell anyone.. ShhHH.. go to Walmart.. go to the pharmacy dept.. ask the techs for Charcoal tabs..I like the caps better than the pills.. easier to give.. Give dobe 1 to 3 a day.. Gas will stop in a couple of days... it works on Hubbys too!!!!!! Trust me with 4 big dogs I know....

That may very well be the best piece of advice ever given!!

·
Still Here Despite Rumour
4,376 Posts
frznbuns said:
I need to buy them by the bucket to stop my gang!!!
:sadcry: :help_up_2 :help_up_2 :help_up_2 :emo11:

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
brumwolf said:
I need to buy them by the bucket to stop my gang!!!
:sadcry: :help_up_2 :help_up_2 :help_up_2 :emo11:
give your address and I will send you some asap.. they are cheap and natural.. also try this...
Bad Breath Blasters​

2 cups brown rice flour
1 Tablespoon activated charcoal (find this at drugstores, not the briquettes!)
3 Tablespoons canola oil
1 egg
½ cup chopped fresh mint
½ cup chopped fresh parsley
2/3 cup low fat milk
Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly oil a cookie sheet. Combine flour and charcoal. Add all the other ingredients. Drop teaspoonfuls on oiled sheet, about 1 inch apart. Bake 15-20 minutes. Store in airtight container in the refrigerator.
Good treat and great for breath and gas

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
That's great to know frznbns. we call Molly the gas powered dobe. she can't jump up on anything, go up or down stairs, or sleep, with out passing gas.

now I may be able to cut down on scented candles!

cc

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Codysmom said:
That's great to know frznbns. we call Molly the gas powered dobe. she can't jump up on anything, go up or down stairs, or sleep, with out passing gas.

now I may be able to cut down on scented candles!

cc
Haha! Asher used to be told by everyone that he needed a tree air freshener hung from tail.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I always thought dogs had silent farts, but my boy makes noise. It's usually when he's stretching and it's hilarious. I thought cheeks were needed, but apparently not!

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
OMG..........typing lol doesn't cover the laugh you just gave me eph94, cheeks..........ya, that's a good one..........oh, I need to recover!

Ps, Orson makes quite a racket somedays himself, and btw he is cheekless too!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
DreamDoby said:
Haha! Asher used to be told by everyone that he needed a tree air freshener hung from tail.
ROTFLOL
I could actually do that with Molly! when she was docked they left a few extra joints in so she has quite a handle for a tail. may also keep her too busy to counter surf.

cc

·
Registered
821 Posts
There is more than one reason that Gaston is also called "The Gas Man"! He actually They(Gaston & Roxy) can clear a room or peel paint! My husband usually refers to it as air borne s---!!!!!! Don't even get stuck in a car with them after they have had turkey, it can almost cause you to wreck the car because your about to pass out from trying not to breath!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts