Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

This is for Scout, not Silas. This happened once before, maybe 4-5 months ago? She didn't eat for a few meals, acted a little puny, we brought her in to the vet, fed her chicken / rice and gave her I think simethicone or something like it for a few days and she was fine.

This morning she didn't eat breakfast (this doesn't happen unless they're not feeling well) and her belly is a little poochy, she is acting a little puny. I gave yogurt and 1/2 dose of a 125 mg simethicone. She did poop and pee this morning. She ate the yogurt just fine.

So, I'm thinking chicken/rice again, but not sure how often to give the simethicone. Of course we'll take her in if she doesn't improve or gets worse.

Anyone else have a dog who has these type of symptoms once in a while? I'm not sure why it happened either time. I do change out their kibble probably quarterly but haven't changed it lately. I did give them a bunch of treats on Thursday for nails and practicing OB, but yesterday she was fine all day. Could it be a delayed thing?

Maybe she just needs more regular yogurt. I give it, but with no specific consistency.

Thanks!

Help, DT... I don't feel so good.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Poor Scout! I'm sorry, I don't really have any words of advice other than I have read about giving simethicone for these symptoms, but sounds like you already have that.

I sure hope she feels better soon!

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Interesting. I have a friend with a french bulldog who seems to have the same kind of problem. No words of advice, it's an ongoing problem, although reducing the dog's stress levels by keeping her at home seems to have reduced the number of episodes. My friend lives in fear about it happening again all the time. This dog has had exploratory surgery, biopsies of her gastric system, etc. with no answers.

Could be its some kind of french bulldog issue...

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Have had it a couple of times w/Nina, usually when I try to add a higher quality hard kibble to her meals. Our girl's never gassy, so when she is I take note and have given her maalox on a couple of occasions, which seemed to help her.
Dunno if that helps- just saying.

Hope you girl feels better soon.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
possible sensitivity reaction (gastritis) to an ingredient in the treats or brand of dog food?

hope she feels better soon.

such a cutie she is.

Hugz to the furkids!

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting. I have a friend with a french bulldog who seems to have the same kind of problem. No words of advice, it's an ongoing problem, although reducing the dog's stress levels by keeping her at home seems to have reduced the number of episodes. My friend lives in fear about it happening again all the time. This dog has had exploratory surgery, biopsies of her gastric system, etc. with no answers.

Could be its some kind of french bulldog issue...
Interesting! Like I said, it resolved last time with bland diet and Gas-X so it's nothing I'd consider doing a surgical procedure over at this point, but I know gas is painful and don't like to see her hurting.

Do you know if your friend gives any GI supplements like probiotics/yogurt or anything else?

Another interesting thing - the first time it happened, there were some fireworks the night before, and she is a bit sound-sensitive, and so there was some stress associated with it. I was never sure if it was related or not at the time. This time, nothing to pinpoint. She was home with Phillip all day yesterday. They went on their usual hour-long run, hung out together, played in the yard, etc. We take them so many places I think she'd be more stressed if I kept her home. ;)

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
possible sensitivity reaction (gastritis) to an ingredient in the treats or brand of dog food?
Well, there were some random treats that I used on Thursday - I got them as a little out-the-door-gift at our local pet store. They sell the "good" food so I assumed they were mostly OK but honestly don't know what was in them. She does have a little sensitivity to chicken - not with GI issues but she will get a little reverse-sneezy when she eats it. Hmmmm... I guess I assumed that if she was going to have a reaction it would be the day of or day after the treats were given, but maybe not?

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Interesting! Like I said, it resolved last time with bland diet and Gas-X so it's nothing I'd consider doing a surgical procedure over at this point, but I know gas is painful and don't like to see her hurting.

Do you know if your friend gives any GI supplements like probiotics/yogurt or anything else?

)
I really don't know if she gives her any kind of GI supplement.

The poor little dog goes beyond just being uncomfortable, which is why they went ahead and did the surgery on her. Unfortunately, no answers to be found from doing it.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
with some sensitivities, they do not cause an issue until their 'toxicity' builds in the dogs 'system/s'.

i know stress of any kind can cause digestive issues for some.......it does with me. :)

without getting toooo personal.

trapped gas is damn painful... :)

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll go out and try the slippery elm bark that Darkevs suggested to me in a PM and give an update later.

Will probably do it according to this link:
Slippery Elm for Better Pet Digestion

Sounds like it's safe and hard to overdose. I know how painful built-up gas can be... wanna help my sweet Munch asap.

Thanks again!

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She seems a little perkier, so maybe the Simethicone is helping. Still getting the elm powder though.

I have to say though (soap box alert) that this is one reason why I will always be a proponent of feeding dogs at scheduled times during the day, and not letting them pick at their food and take forever to eat. Her energy level was not so low this morning as to ring any alarms - we probably wouldnt have taken notice if it was just that as it was subtle. When my dogs skip a meal or pick away at their food, something is wrong.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Poor Scout! Glad she's feeling a little better.

Reactions: bean

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Bean, sorry the munchkin is not feeling up to par. I was going to suggest slippery elm to you before I got to where you were going to try it. Something else you might give a try if SE doesnt work is digestive enzymes. Sometimes, Parker gets a little gassy and I give him DE with his next meal and that stops the gas. Also, sometimes, he will crane around and stare at, the sniff his butt and then proceed to lick his butt very intensely. Its not an anal gland problem. This is NOT a pleasant thing to watch, considering how intent he can be to run that very same tongue across my lips and face!!! I am now giving DE to see if they will stop this DISTURBING behavior. I do give the Dr Mercola Digestive Enzymes as they are supposed to have multiple enzymes(cant remember how many now). That is what you have to watch when buying enzymes as many dont have enough. Greek yogurt also has like 5 or 6 DE, whereas regular yogurt only has 2.///// Best wises to Scout! :)

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Yeah, that hit me and I came back to post I had lumped probiotics and digestive enzymes together.

·
Super Moderator
22,008 Posts
No words of wisdom, but hope poor Scout feels better soon.

Reactions: bean

·
Supersized Warlock Alpha
6,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
She's back to her waggy happy self! I sprinkled 1tsp of the elm powder in some yogurt. In a couple hours she was much more energetic an ate her smaller dinner portion without hesitation. Didn't even have to do chicken and rice.

I'm so sold on the elm bark now! Last time this happened it took a couple of days with bland diet and simethicone to resolve. Thanks all. I'll probably pick up some digestive enzymes to have on hand too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Try Primal Defense, at Whole Foods, for humans, but my homeopathic/chinese med vet advised it for Rhett. Its got great probiotics and just a tiny bit is all that is needed, once a day. Have you tried any RAW diet stuff? There is Stella & Chewys, DNA and Ziwi Peak that are a few of Rhett puppys faves. and, just curious, it says Bean, supersized Warlock Alpha...how tall is your dobie and how much does he weigh? So far, Rhett is the tallest Dobie we have met. But when I pingd a breeder she advised he is 'normal' sized. Rhett is just a touch under 100 lbs and (memory now not fact) about 33 inches at the shoulders.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Try Primal Defense, at Whole Foods, for humans, but my homeopathic/chinese med vet advised it for Rhett. Its got great probiotics and just a tiny bit is all that is needed, once a day. Have you tried any RAW diet stuff? There is Stella & Chewys, DNA and Ziwi Peak that are a few of Rhett puppys faves. and, just curious, it says Bean, supersized Warlock Alpha...how tall is your dobie and how much does he weigh? So far, Rhett is the tallest Dobie we have met. But when I pingd a breeder she advised he is 'normal' sized. Rhett is just a touch under 100 lbs and (memory now not fact) about 33 inches at the shoulders.
I think Bean is referring to herself with that supersized warlock alpha title.

The weight is a little heavy, but the 33 inches is way too big for a doberman to be. They just can't be as agile at that size and much harder on joints.

This is an interesting read:

Size/Proportion

1 - 20 of 26 Posts