Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone else tried feeding their dog a little bit of plain yogurt to help with their gas? I tried it last night because Odin has been having really bad Gas lately, it's actually been better since he has been off of Acana. He eats TOTW now and its has been less epic lol. I didn't know if I wanted to stay with TOTW or not but I thought I would try the Plain yogurt with active cultures to see if it would help with the gas and I have to say it made a tremendous difference. I only put in about a tablespoon and before that I was giving him a teaspoon here and there to get his system used to it before I put it in his kibble.

wanted to know if it has worked for anyone else?

Also does anyone with more knowledge have an idea how much would be too much in a week? Seeing that it has calcium in it I don't what to over do it. I will do some more research on the internet. But thought I would ask just in case.

·
Registered
144 Posts
has anyone else tried feeding their dog a little bit of plain yogurt to help with their gas? I tried it last night because Odin has been having really bad Gas lately, it's actually been better since he has been off of Acana. He eats TOTW now and its has been less epic lol. I didn't know if I wanted to stay with TOTW or not but I thought I would try the Plain yogurt with active cultures to see if it would help with the gas and I have to say it made a tremendous difference. I only put in about a tablespoon and before that I was giving him a teaspoon here and there to get his system used to it before I put it in his kibble.

wanted to know if it has worked for anyone else?

Also does anyone with more knowledge have an idea how much would be too much in a week? Seeing that it has calcium in it I don't what to over do it. I will do some more research on the internet. But thought I would ask just in case.
Raw milk is far superior in nutrition, enzymes, probiotics, and is okay for dogs. Regular "store-bought" milk, cheese, yogurt, ect. is usually not recommended. Do a search on google for raw milk. It is pure and unaltered. The internal healing benefits are endless.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Raw milk is far superior in nutrition, enzymes, probiotics, and is okay for dogs. Regular "store-bought" milk, cheese, yogurt, ect. is usually not recommended. Do a search on google for raw milk. It is pure and unaltered. The internal healing benefits are endless.
ah thank you ;) thats why it benefit to post on here on top of doing internet research. Personal experience for sure helps in the process.

Reactions: advocateforhealth

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
My understanding is that dogs, in general, have a low tolerance for milk as they can't digest the milk sugars. I haven't heard anything about yogurt being bad for a dog.

Plain Greek yogurt is supposed to be even better than regular plain yogurt as it has more active cultures and is highter in protein, also.

I would only give a teaspoon at morning and evening meals, but honestly, that is only a guess from me. Try that and see if it works for him and maybe increase if it that dose doesn't do the job.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Agree on the raw milk, but, due to the 'nanny state', it is usually difficult to get unless you are a dairy farmer, or own a 'share' of a cow.

The next best option is organic, non-homognized(sp?), low-temp. pasturized milk from grass fed cows.

·
Registered
716 Posts
:doctor:THIS WAS A SUCCESS FOR US
Our trainer suggested this to me using yogurt... and I am a witness to the difference of foul stinky-stinks "The Kira" had from the days with and the days without!!!
We gave her 1/2 a cup at bedtime since this seamed to be more common when she was sleeping.

Again I am only giving advise on what I (we) were advised on and what was helpfull for us.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
I would vote for kefir over yoghurt. Yoghurt has one or two species of beneficial bacteria in it, compared to the 10 - 35 species of bacteria and yeasts in kefir... way more bang for your buck! Half of a cup a day should not cause any issue with regard to calcium, and fermented dairy products usually are well tolerated due to the lactose having been mostly consumed by whatever organisms have fermented it.

If you get into kefir, you can acquire kefir grains and make your own for people and dogs...

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
How much are you considering "too much" and what harm will result?
I just know with the puppy we were putting a big spoonful of yogurt on the food and she had blood work done and it was too much of the yogurt being given. So now we just put a little water on her food.I'm sorry I don't know the facts we just pet sit while my friend works. My friend is a nurse so I just follow what she has out for the puppy. I know it is a science with the feeding every cup measured and many puppies are over fed.

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Amy gets her Yogurt:
- on last bite...she licks the plastic container clean (long tongue & all) / then off to the garbage pail
She loves it as much as cheese.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I wouldn't recommend using milk--raw or otherwise--bovine milk isn't choice even for tiny puppies but puppies at the age yours it at have actually stopped being able to metabolize milk. For most dogs it is an instant case of soft stools.

My dogs get yogurt or cottage cheese--and they get it all their lives. A tablespoon of yogurt is part of their breakfast. This will not add enough calcium to have any sort of detrimental effect. Occasionally they get cottage cheese if I have a carton that is going to go out of date before I finish it--they think it's a huge treat.

I've found over the years that some Dobes are more gassy than others. One of my dogs at present is known as the "gasbag"--doesn't make any difference what I feed him and we've tried many things--he always has gas--mostly it's not stinky but occasionally it is and when that happens it makes him highly unpopular. The other dog rarely has gas--and it doesn't make a lot of difference what I feed him either. If he gets too many treats at a training class (or when he was still showing, when he was in the ring) he could be counted on to have some stinky gas for 24 hours after the overdose of treats or bait.

Kefir is really good stuff but I won't pay the price to feed it to the dogs--I won't even pay the price to feed it to me--and my dogs just get ordinary yogurt and since they share that with me it's either strawberry, peach or vanilla (yeah, that means it also has sugar in it).

They all seem to survive just fine.

·
Living la Vida Loca!
2,583 Posts
Coco has to lick out the last of the yogurt or she goes in the garbage and pulls the empty containers out to get her last licks. She has Activia...various flavours....every day and I have never seen any ill effects of this. She loves it!!:butfly:

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
732 Posts
Yogurt for gas? Acana and TOTW have almost the same protein/fat/carb ratios. I think it would be better to choose a food either with less carb(like Orijen or EVO) or possibly a food with less protein %. Not to mention your dog may do better on a grain food vs a food with potatoes(potatoes could be the problem). Gas is typically caused by too much food at one time or too much of a particular ingredient that the dog has a hard time digesting. better to forget the yogurt and try another food (this time one more different in protein/fat/carb). Right now you could also try smaller portions and more feeding times. Both foods your feeding have the good bacteria for digestion in them. Finn had gas with both Acana pacifica and Evo herring and salmon, so I don't feed him fish based kibble and he has no problems with gas.

·
Premium Member
9,983 Posts
I know! It sucks! I finally got some kefir grains and began to make my own...
I had to laugh at this mmctaq...Kefir and I go way back to the 60's--I'd never heard of it and a friend of mine from Australia had tagged along with me to go shopping for stuff for dinner. I stopped to pick up some milk and he said, "WOW!, Kefir".

Huh? What's that--what did I know...nothing! So he picked up a quart of boysenberry kefir (milk was 99 cents a gallon in SoCal at that time) for 20 cents. I was well and truly hooked.

For about 10 years in SoCal, kefir was dirt cheap and then it hit the big time and it's price doubled practically overnight and doubled again.

Every so often I spring for a quart of kefir and think about the days when it was cheaper than milk. And yeah, I had an Afghan Hound at the time--he got a little kefir in his breakfast instead of yogurt.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
I've always given my Dobes yogurt both with their morning feed and their evening feed - probably about 1 tablespoon total. It's funny cause my brother just today asked me why they get yogurt and I told him that I thought it helped with gas so he's going to try it with his German Shepherd. Moe and D'Va eat Kirkland Chicken & Rice and do very well on this with little gas. Jordan eats TOTW cause she tends to have softer stools with the Kirkland but she, too, has little gas!

Jan

1 - 20 of 22 Posts