Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In April 2011 I paid $1500 to Sheilah Hanlon of Garshangan Kennel in Ontario for a male puppy out of her litter she was advertising of Rodin(Dobereich stud) and her girl Jayda. Since I paid in advance we agreed that if that litter didn't take she would use the same stud (Rodin) and her girl Bella. She mated Jayda with Rodin but the litter didn't take. She leaded me on that it did as saying in e-mails that Jayda is getting bigger but as time went on she told me it never took. During this time that Jayda was "getting bigger" she then told me she was also having another doberman litter but I was uninterested in that litter so she kept me believing that the Rodin Jayda litter was still good. After I called her and she told me that Jayda Rodin litter didn't take and the back up litter of Rodin and Bella wasn't happening cause her and Dobereich had a major falling out.
Sheilah told me this falling out was because Dobereich wanted to set Garshangan prices at $2500 so she was pissed and went on about some issues Gatehouse has had with Dobereich and that she wasn't going to use Dobereich or other dogs from Ontario in her breeding anymore because something about Ontario breeders not getting along?.
She offered to return my money and this is where things went down hill fast. She never returns e-mails or calls after about two months of trying to get a hold of her she told me she'd have my money to me in August as she was expecting a tax return check but she never returned my money. She then went on to ignoring my e-mails and phone calls after dealing with this at the end of September I turned to the DDPC and they said they will look into it but I haven't heard anything back. Sheilah did send me a e-mail in October, shortly after I contacted DPCC, saying she'd return my money to me in two weeks from the money she got from her Wheaten litter but that never happened. She then went back to ignoring my e-mails but I got through once and she said all her bank accounts are being hold by the government and after she'd return my money... yeah after all the lies and bs from her I've come to terms I'm not seeing my money from her. It's a shame people like this are out there.

I what to warn others about her and her stealing from people as this is not right or fair and I hope DPCC kicks her out as this should not be acceptable from their members. $1500 is a good amount of money and money I worked hard to earn and for someone to go and feel like it's their right to steal that amount from anyone is very shady and if this is where her ethics stand then I'm sure it'll show in her breeding.
I hope this prevents someone else losing their money from this breeder please stay away from her. She goes by the name mastermind on this forum, yes she's a member here. I learnt from this experience to not give money before the puppy is on the ground and even a breeder that's listed on the DPCC can be shady. People like this are really disgusting.

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
This really sucks, I'm sorry you have to deal with it.

Then again, I can't imagine why I'd ever give any money other than perhaps a small deposit to somebody I barely knew for a dog that didn't even exist yet.

·
Take my Dobe, please!
2,566 Posts
mastermind's user profile indicates she was last active tonight at 8:04pm, so maybe PMing her would be an effective way to get a response?

Also, it would be nice to get mastermind's side of the story. But not because I expect people to "air their dirty linen in public" for my entertainment. I have long said that mistakes happen. It's what we do to rectify the situation that's important.

===============
ETA: edited (after posting) for clarity.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mastermind's user profile indicates she was last active tonight at 8:04pm, so maybe PMing her would be an effective way to get a response?

Also, it would be nice to get mastermind's side of the story. But not because I expect people to "air their dirty linen in public" for my entertainment. I have long said that mistakes happen. It's what we do to rectify the situation that's important.

===============
ETA: edited (after posting) for clarity.
I've called and e-mailed her many times with no response I doubt pming her on here would get one. This is me warning buyers about my situation with her and her ethics, what she is doing is very wrong. She can ignore me all she wants and not have intentions of giving me my money back but I wont sit here and just let her get away with this and potentially do this to others. It sucks when people take advantage of others and those people who do that should be known so others will not fell into their trap.

If she does return my money I will update this thread and let it be known. This has been going on for a long time now and I've been patent enough with her. It's always the same with her when I do hear back it's always something else on her end thats delaying it, from dogs needing c sections, to tax return checks, waiting for more buyers, bank accounts are being held by the government it's ALWAYS a new excuse with her.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am sorry about your experience. Each coin has two sides so I hope there was a good reason for all this ... otherwise $1,500 for this kind of advertisement is surely not worth it.

Since you indicated that would like a puppy from Rodin, why not contact Monica from Dobereich? Yes her puppies are in the $2,500 range but you really pay for what you get. I hope this thread has a happy ending.

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
I've called and e-mailed her many times with no response I doubt pming her on here would get one. This is me warning buyers about my situation with her and her ethics, what she is doing is very wrong. She can ignore me all she wants and not have intentions of giving me my money back but I wont sit here and just let her get away with this and potentially do this to others. It sucks when people take advantage of others and those people who do that should be known so others will not fell into their trap.

If she does return my money I will update this thread and let it be known. This has been going on for a long time now and I've been patent enough with her. It's always the same with her when I do hear back it's always something else on her end thats delaying it, from dogs needing c sections, to tax return checks, waiting for more buyers, bank accounts are being held by the government it's ALWAYS a new excuse with her.
You can ask for a "read receipt" on the PM, though, and it would be one more "paper trail" instance of documentation that you've made attempts to contact this breeder.

If everything is as you reported, I don't understand why you couldn't take her to small claims court, for failure to deliver a product you paid for. (Sorry for the use of the word "product," but legally pups are property.)

I have no idea how Canadian courts work, but you can file yourself for a very nominal fee, in the States, to attempt to recover your money.

Once you get a judgement, it can be tricky to then collect the actual money, but at least you'd have the judgement in place, and an option to garnish future wages, etc.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I believe small claims filings are 75 per filing but I could be wrong. 1500 is a not nominal amount for sure but is definitely on the low low side for a puppy in this Province. The average I have heard recently is 2500 and up. I think mostly to do with the amount of health testing that is required as a base line for a conscientious breeder of dobermans.
It is definitely an expensive breed to buy and to own. My guy has cost us so far approximately 30k and he is only 3 years old based on health issues he has dealt with and continues to.

·
Dedicated DoberFan
2,786 Posts
I believe small claims filings are 75 per filing but I could be wrong. 1500 is a not nominal amount for sure but is definitely on the low low side for a puppy in this Province. The average I have heard recently is 2500 and up. I think mostly to do with the amount of health testing that is required as a base line for a conscientious breeder of dobermans.
It is definitely an expensive breed to buy and to own. My guy has cost us so far approximately 30k and he is only 3 years old based on health issues he has dealt with and continues to.
:shocking: $30,000?!

·
Registered
208 Posts
:shocking: $30,000?!

Yep - mri's , 2 obstruction surgeries, multiple x-rays and blood work, emergency surgery for salivary gland abnormality ( couldn't eat with the blockage it caused), pancreatitis, compressed vertabrae ( genentic) - may be beginnings of wobblers but age will tell, the list goes on.
We have gotten a fair percentage back in insurance but our premium is very high - we love him to death but yes - he is the million dollar baby.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I don't understand how thieves can sleep at night. How they can spend the money and feel okay with it.

·
Take my Dobe, please!
2,566 Posts
{snip}Once you get a judgement, it can be tricky to then collect the actual money, but at least you'd have the judgement in place, and an option to garnish future wages, etc.
Another option is, once you have a judgment again the person, you file a lien against them in the county where they live. That way, when they try to sell their house/business or get a loan, the lien will pop on their records and the sale/loan can't proceed until the person has a proof the lien has been lifted. (Don't know if this will work in Canada, though.)

Often when this happens, the lien-holder is contacted by the person's attorney asking if the LH is willing to settle. They ask to settle for less than the original amount, hoping the LH just wants to get it over with. But many a LH has held out for a higher amount, due to the aggro the defaulter/debtor has put them through.

Just a few random thoughts and I hope you find them useful. Best wishes for a quick and fair resolution to your dispute.:wavey:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the feed back!!! karma will be a bitch for Sheilah if she never returns my money and feels it's ok and her right to steal from others. I just want to make sure this doesn't happen to others as it's wrong and as I said in the OP if she does do the right thing and return what's not hers I'll give that update on here. I hoped to resolve this with her and I gave her about a week heads up that I was going to start posting this story on forums but she never returned the e-mail and try to work this out with me in private. She can try and ignore her criminal acts and hope it'll go away but it wont.

“We are not defined by our things. It´s not the clothes that we wear, the cars that we drive, the art we acquire- It´s not where we live- but how we live that defines us.
It´s our actions that are remembered long after we are gone.”

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Wow this surprises me, I know Sheilah personally and have always found her to be a kind person. Has helped me a couple times at dog shows. Personally I'm not surprised she's had a disagreement with Monica...who hasn't??

By the way, the sire is Rogun. Hard to believe but Monica's puppies have gone up $700.00 each in 5 years...wow! So that's about an extra $5600.00 per litter, as she has on average 3-4 litters a year that's a lot of extra money! So yes I can see her getting into it with another breeder to raise their prices! Doesn't look to good if Sheilah can do it for $1500.00, there is also another breeder charging around the same as Sheilah in Ontario.

Anyways I hope you get this resolved quickly, I can understand your anger and frustration. Have you looked at any other breeders? Good luck getting your money back!!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Ok you need to do 2 things

1) File an official complaint with the DPCC; in the form of a letter stating all the facts
2) File a complaint with the CKC; this is super important!! She will be fined and perhaps suspended for a while; not to mention this will always be on record.

I don't know this person at all!!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1) File an official complaint with the DPCC; in the form of a letter stating all the facts
2) File a complaint with the CKC; this is super important!! She will be fined and perhaps suspended for a while; not to mention this will always be on record.

I don't know this person at all!!
I e-mailed DPCC and talked to them and they said their going to look into it but haven't heard anything back from them?. I e-mailed them back in late Oct, I believe, and still never heard back.

I contracted CKC and they wont do anything. I told Sheilah I was going to contract CKC and she told me that CKC wont help me with getting my money back!...

How do I file these complaints? maybe that will get things going more than just an e-mail to them. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,766 Posts
The whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth! I don't take deposits, and if I did, it would not be till the litter is on the ground and I know I have a puppy available.

I don't breed a litter till I have a minimum of $5000 set aside for the costs - I sure as heck don't understand how breeders can take $1500 from someone and spend it... then think that they don't have to pay it back when they don't have a puppy (from a specific breeding) available. To me, it is pretty simple.... the person is a criminal.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Reactions: LindaH and bubsy
1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.