Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
GANONDORF
Ganon for short. This is my nine week old monster. A little more about our tiny family, Ganon came to me on my birthday [May first] I am a single mother of an ALMOST year old baby girl who is absolutely obsessed with Ganon. We live in Ventura, California where I am a dog groomer. Ganon goes EVERYWHERE with us, sleeps in my bed with me and even acts like a little guard dog already. It is quite entertaining. While he is not aggressive in any way, he is so ridiculously clingy and very vocal. He argues with me! I feel like I have to put my foot down more with him, than I do with my daughter! I'm not too worried about it, I am a pretty strict doggie momma [or momma in general] So we are working on the training. I cannot wait for his shots to be through so we can really get him out in the world. I have raised Siberian huskies, so while I am new to the clingy Doberman, I understand the needs of a high strung working dog. Thankfully I have had experience with that, or I think I'd really be in trouble! I know this MAY cause me some backlash, as I have been scolded by SO MANY people about this lately, but I do plan on cropping his ears here soon. So if any of you have advice/input from your experiences, I'd love to hear them. I have done a significant amount of research, but I love hearing different angles/aspects. Well, I will cease my blabbering away for now. Here are some pictures of my Handsome boy, Ganon.

Yes, by the way... he is named after, "Ganon," from, "Legends of Zelda!" For the inner nerd in me!

Attachments

• Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
    180.1 KB Views: 492

·
Registered
11,890 Posts
Nice that your young daughter can grow up with a lovely puppy.
Ganon is a most handsome boy & welcome to DT dobermom.
- find a great vet to crop those ears properly, not all are created equal or have the experience (not something learned in most vet colleges)

·
Registered
9,604 Posts
If you are planning on having your puppy cropped you'll need to find a vet soon since he's already 9 weeks and most good cropping vets prefer the dogs to be under 12 weeks when they are cropped.

I can't think of a vet that I'd recommend to do a Dobe crop anywhere in the Ventura area.

The ones I know and would recommend are all further south. One around LA (LaBounty) and the other two in or near Riverside.

·
Love the Nub
4,897 Posts
Welcome! What a cute dog and daughter! A dobe back talking? Nooooooooooo. weird ;) Just wait until the Doberteens! :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:) Actually I researched the crop deal, and I made an appointment with La Bounty! He will be right at 12 weeks when it's done!

Anyone have advice/experience on the long show crop? I was out walking today with Ganon and Scarlett, I ran into a fellow Dobie! His name was Batman, another black and tan. I think Dobermans are making a come back, that is the third Dobie I have seen in two months out here. :) He had a medium crop, he also went to La Bounty and had a very good experience. He warned me to be watchful of the ear on the side Ganon will sleep on. Hmmm.

Thank you for the welcoming everyone! :)

·
Registered
9,604 Posts
:) Actually I researched the crop deal, and I made an appointment with La Bounty! He will be right at 12 weeks when it's done!

Anyone have advice/experience on the long show crop? I was out walking today with Ganon and Scarlett, I ran into a fellow Dobie! His name was Batman, another black and tan. I think Dobermans are making a come back, that is the third Dobie I have seen in two months out here. :) He had a medium crop, he also went to La Bounty and had a very good experience. He warned me to be watchful of the ear on the side Ganon will sleep on. Hmmm.

Thank you for the welcoming everyone! :)
LOL! I'm surprised that the business of watching out for the ear that young cropped dogs sleep on hasn't come up before.

Congratulations on finding a good Dobe cropper on your own.

About the ear business--when you get to the point that ears seem to be standing well and it looks like you can leave them unposted one of the first things that happens is that you leave the lovely standing ears unposted overnight or during the day and the puppy takes a nap and sleeps with an ear folded under and gets up with one ear up and one ear half up.

First of all--don't panic. Most of the time by the time the puppy stretches and has a drink of water and goes out to pee the ear will be standing again. If it isn't back up within 30 minutes (most of them are) you get to sigh heavily and repost. It's not a disaster but it usually seems like one when you've spent all that time making sure your puppy has lovely standing ears.

·
No Longer on DT
92 Posts
Yes, by the way... he is named after, "Ganon," from, "Legends of Zelda!" For the inner nerd in me! [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Woot for the Zelda fan! Love it!
Beautiful pup! He'll look great with his ears done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys! :)

I am sure I would have gone into panic mode if I had not been told otherwise, so thank you, Dobebug, for those tidbits!

Sorrelli- I was even able to find a Triforce Necklace charm, made it into a collar charm and it jingles along with his nametag. I love it :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts