Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI

Not many of you will remember . i posted here a year and two months back asking advice about my one month old dobie puppy stephie . now that she is all grown up and beautiful . my problem is that she is not gaining weight at all . she is thin you cant see the ribs but still she is thin but very active and healthy . the food we feed her is home cooked rice , vegetables and beef . what else can i do for her to gain weight . maybe because she is hypersctive through out the day in my backyard and losing calories she is not gaining weight ? . please i need help .

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Hmmm, make sure she doesn't have worms for starters. Then feed her more food.

·
Premium Member
8,880 Posts
HI

Not many of you will remember . i posted here a year and two months back asking advice about my one month old dobie puppy stephie . now that she is all grown up and beautiful . my problem is that she is not gaining weight at all . she is thin you cant see the ribs but still she is thin but very active and healthy . the food we feed her is home cooked rice , vegetables and beef . what else can i do for her to gain weight . maybe because she is hypersctive through out the day in my backyard and losing calories she is not gaining weight ? . please i need help .
I would second the need to have her checked for worms - parasites can really keep a dog from gaining weight. I also would make sure that of the things you are feeding her - the meat is the largest amount. The rice and vegetables will not put the weight on her. They are fine to feed, but meat should be the largest amount.

I'm trying to remember where you live - India maybe? How available is commercial dog kibble?

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Hello, I am glad Stephie is doing o.k. Sounds like she made it through the tough times. How much do you feed her a day? What kind of meat are you feeding her? Have you ever taken a fecal sample to the vet for testing? Do you have any recent pictures of her?? Lot's of question...lol

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
IM glad most of you here remember me . yeah stephie has got through tough times and she is great now except she is thin . i feed her either beef liver or chicken along with curd rice . yes we do have dog feed kibbles in india but i prefer home made food cas i know whats going in to it . no i have not had her fecal sample tested but i do deworm her regularly as per my vets prescription . and i would like to add that i have had stephie attend any obedience training but i rather choose to train her myself , and it has become a great success . she is the best mannered dog in whole of my neighbourhood . people please dont think i am bragging .:) . and the pictures ill definitely post them soon .

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
Make sure the meat has a pretty high fat content....I feed my Petey RAW, and he gets a ton of fat and bone in his meals. Puppies need the fat. I'd do some reasearch on some of the homecooked meal sites and find out what percentage fat should be in her meals. I do think some puppies are just naturally thinner then others, look through some of the puppy photos on here, there are huge differences in puppies of the same age. My boy is solid muscle at only 7 months old, I keep waiting for the long lean leggy stage, and it hasn't happened, my last Dobie was a mix with Weim, and he was always very tall and underweight.

I'm glad the puppy is doing well other wise.

Carol

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
well talking about being muscular you have to see my labrador . i have seen tons of labrador but nothing like him . when i take him to the beach people get surprised when i tell them he is just four months old . ill do anything for my dobie to be like tht .

@luvbirds your boy looks awesome . i dont about know show looks but yours looks great i would love stephie to be like that . instead stephie is tall and long legged .

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
i feed her either beef liver or chicken along with curd rice .
I thinnk you need more variation of meat, and maybe less rice. How much chicken and rice do you feed per day?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Hi, it is so good to hear from you again. I am glad that Stephie is doing good. If I remember right. She is still pretty young..Iris who is 3 now is only 65lbs and look very thin next to my other girls.. If the vet says all is fine and she is active and healthy, I would not worry too much about it.. How much does she weigh??

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
IM glad most of you here remember me . yeah stephie has got through tough times and she is great now except she is thin . i feed her either beef liver or chicken along with curd rice . yes we do have dog feed kibbles in india but i prefer home made food cas i know whats going in to it . no i have not had her fecal sample tested but i do deworm her regularly as per my vets prescription . and i would like to add that i have had stephie attend any obedience training but i rather choose to train her myself , and it has become a great success . she is the best mannered dog in whole of my neighbourhood . people please dont think i am bragging .:) . and the pictures ill definitely post them soon .

I would only feed a few ounces of beef liver, chicken is good. Hopefully you are feeding it with the bone. Other meats like beef, lamb, or turkey are good and fish also.
Nothing is wrong with training your own dog but there is lot's to be learnt from a good obedience instructor. Also, they get to meet lot's of other dogs and people...:)

Reactions: DobeMom616

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Now you are making me wonder if I'm feeding Java enough since I started her on homecooked meals. She has lost a bit of weight, but seems to be leaner and more muscled. I have been told that she looks great. Should meat be given by volume or weight? She is being fed c. 2 cups of food per meal, twice a day, plus snacks (ie. a piece of apple, a dog biscuit) during the day. I am conscious to keep snacks healthy and to a minimum. Java is due for a physical in two weeks, so I'll know for sure then if she's where she should be weight-wise. Eyes are bright, energy is high.

Re: worms - sorry to bring up the subject, but this reminded me of Oprah show this week w/ Dr. Oz where intestinal parasites were discussed. Will worms appear in stool or is rapid weight loss the only sign of a problem? That's the one negative I can think of where the dog park is concerned, that not all owenrs are as conscious of keeping their dog's health up as they should be, and like small children, illnesses are quickly passed around and shared.

Thanx!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Re: worms - sorry to bring up the subject, but this reminded me of Oprah show this week w/ Dr. Oz where intestinal parasites were discussed. Will worms appear in stool or is rapid weight loss the only sign of a problem? That's the one negative I can think of where the dog park is concerned, that not all owenrs are as conscious of keeping their dog's health up as they should be, and like small children, illnesses are quickly passed around and shared.

Thanx!
Intestinal worms can also cause poor skin and coat.

I've wondered if I should get a fecal done more frequently on Peaches since we go to a dog park. She has been going to one since last sept and she just had her yearly fecal mon and it was negative.

At the clinic I work at if a client refuses a yearly fecal on thier dog they have to sign a release form. I can't remember the exact words, but loosely it says they realize they could be causing a public health concern and possibly blindness in children in regards to roundworms.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I agree with the others. But also wanted to add that I have seen many Dobermans go through an akward lanky phase. They do not seem to really fill in until 3 to four years of age. Slow growth is best, as is slow weight gain. The Doberman is a lean breed. I too like a bit of weight on my dogs. It's visually more pleasing I guess. But not always healthy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks a lot for so much replys . about the weight will let you all know after stephies regular vet check on monday . and about the food here is the detail list of what goes in to her . ( p.s i was feeding her pedigree till she was 8 months old . i was told that pedigree is not a good dog food . so i switched over to home cooked which i felt is lot healthier and cheaper ). this is stephie's diet . i dont know whther it is good according to international standards and you people seem to take much care of your dogs diet than what i do . anyways here it goes

morning 5 am or 6 am ragi porridge
curd rice mixed with chicken or beef liver at around 1 in the noon
chopped vegetables or fruits at 6 in the evening
again rice and some meat at 10 in the night

this is what i feed both my dobie and labrador pup who is 4 months old who seems to eat lot more than what stephie does . and again about the worms i deworm her regularly according to her vets prescripion . her coat is shiny and healthy . and another thing which i have noticed . when ever i feed stephie before i brought in the lab pup she never finishes her food at once she just leaves it and eats it bit by bit and never had a great appetite . now tht the lab pup finishes off what ever if left over of her bowl . stephie has started eating well and finishes off her meal quickly . will see there is any improvement . and one more thing is i have not spayed stephie till now . people dont normally spay their dogs back here in india . but i dont stephie to go through the seasons and labour . so i might be spaying her after my college semester exams get over . is there any chance she might gain some weight post spaying ?

I am sorry for the long post ( and will definitely post pictures because all tht i have now are taken from a mobile camera . so i will take ppictures from a digi cam and post them ) .

@ okiedobie and frznbuns i am glad you all remember . thanks a lot stephie couldn have possible made it this well without your helps and suggestions .

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
The whole Dog journal has their monthly guide all about home cooking for your dog. It is very worth while to get.
They said as a general rule 2 to 3 percent of their body weight in fresh food daily (use cooked weights for foods that are cooked)
They said start with around 2 lbs of food for a 100 pound dog (2 % of body weight) 1-1/2 pounds for a 50-pound dog (2-3 percent of dogs weight) These are examples.
Sample diet
8-12 ounces muscle meat/heart/fish leftovers (raw or cooked)
1-2 ounces liver or kidney (raw before cooking)
1-2 eggs (daily or every other day)
1-4 ounces yogurt,kefir or cottage cheese
2-8 ounces grains (cooked weight) or veggies (no more than half the diet)
1,000 mg calicum (for example, 1/2 teaspoon ground eggshell, or 1 tsp Animal Essentials Natural Calcium, or 1 tsp NOW bone meal, which has 1000mg
calicium per rounded teaspoon)
Calcium is one of the most common mistakes people make when feeding a home-cooked diet. You must feed calcium when you feed a diet that does not include bone.
They also have a list of sample daily supplemints (optional)
If giving fish oil capsules (400 to 600 mg combined EPA and DHA)
200 IUs vitamin E (required at least once a week if giving oils)

There is so much more information, but I think this is the most important part.
Good Luck.
ADHP

·
Registered
986 Posts
Deepak, Stephie sure is a pretty girl with a friendly, smiling face. Yes, many dogs do gain weight after spaying but often it's just because they are more sedentary. Remember, dobies are naturally a lean breed and she will never bulk up like your lab (and she shouldn't). As long as she is happy and healthy and active, she will find her own weight.

PS, my boy Oscar loves beef liver also, but it's not high calorie...could you possibly add some more fatty beef to Steph's diet? Good luck! Thanks for the pictures!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ya i know dobies are lean breed and i dont want stephie to bulk up like a lab . but some muscle here and there wouldn hurt . im sick of her looking so thin .

·
Premium Member
8,880 Posts
looking at the list of what you feed her, I would guess that she is not getting enough meat and fat in her diet. I don't know what "some meat" means in your post - if that mean a little or a lot of meat. Meat should be the majority of what she eats - over 50%, and it should be meat with some fat in it. Feeding more meat of course will cost more, but there really is no way around that. It seems that what you are feeding is fine - just how much of each is the question.

I feed a high quality kibble, so I really am not super helpful on how much she should get of what. There are some raw and home cooked feeders here and they would be more helpful.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts