Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has a fourm member purchased, or seen Lynn Roberts Dobermans ?
I am looking for a nice pet quality black/rust male later this year.
It looks like she is involved with several different breeds.

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
I've never seen her before, though I'm not heavily involved in the breeder world. That she has so many breeds would make me wary, though it seems like she's a show and working breeder.

What makes you interested in her? Let's start there.

Reactions: Cressrb

·
Super Moderator
15,412 Posts
While the website could lack updated info I don't see anything about them finishing their dogs. This is a red flag to me. There is some health testing done which is a good thing. I have no idea who this breeder is and I'm fairly local... Never seen them at shows (at least in dobermans).
Are you in Georgia or Florida? I could make some recommendations if you let me know where you are.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I'd be weary of all the breeds. I see some health testing on the Kuvas but the only health testing posted on the dobes were for a male, Zeus, and that was just hips. I'd want to see yearly thyroid, holter monitoring, echo, and full blood panel for testing the liver. I've also never heard of Southernwind, who the male is out of. I'd ask her if she's a member of the local DPCA club or the DPCA club and if not, why?

IMO, there's too many good breeders in that area to settle for one who may or may not be so great.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am in NC (an hour from Charlotte). I have been looking on the AKC marketplace.
Lynn Roberts said the Female had OFA required testing, and the male is just shy of two, so only prelims.
Her pups were $2500 dew claws, tail dock, microchipping, deworming, first vacc, and ears cropped.

I also talked to Mary Conley (Dobie Downs Kennel) in Morrow, GA. I asked and no health testing.
She is asking $1200

I have contacted
Schohaus Dobermans, but not willing to pay $4k for companion puppy.
Treasureseeker is $3200 still high for me.
Goldgrove didn't approve, because I do not currently have a fenced backyard.

If you know anyone close to me I am looking for a nice healthy black/rust doberman.
This of course will be inside dog. We are planning on a 5ft wrought iron fence in back just to make it easier to let him out to use bathroom. He will get plenty of exercise as we walk everyday, and hike some on weekends. I plan to get help in obedience training. I want my 10yr old daughter to be able to walk him too.

I hope it's ok to post my findings, if not please delete this reply.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
25,552 Posts
Just an aside that I thought of as I read your post for your wrought iron fence—make sure it doesn't have any spikes sticking up above the top railing (sorta picket fence style.) If a dog tries to jump it and misses, it can be nasty.

I hope you find what you want. I'm in Colorado—I don't know anyone in your area to recommend.

·
Premium Member
8,495 Posts
$4K is the highest I've heard of from a known reputable breeder. Last I heard, $3K is average..... but who knows with Covid and the high demand for puppies.
We just replaced our very old split rail fence with wire on the inside with a 5' high black aluminum fence with puppy spacing. Pricy, but such a great fence!! No spikes top or bottom.

Reactions: LadyDi and dobebug

·
Super Moderator
15,412 Posts
$3500-4000 or more is kind of the going rate for a well bred puppy in this area... I'm also in Charlotte. This is just an expensive breed to own and paying any less is going to mean you're going with a breeder who's cutting corners. I would suggest saving a little more and getting your fence squared away. You could try rreaching out to adamas and aludra in Georgia. I would say come to a dog show in our area... The Concord NC shows are coming up in March if they are not canceled.

·
Registered
6,683 Posts
Don't look on AKC Marketplace. There's really no requirement to post an ad there, just money paid to AKC. Look, instead, at the DPCA listing.

And yeah, you'll likely pay a premium with covid making everyone want a pup.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Just remember, you get what you pay for. I didn't see any mention of health testing like, yearly holter and echo, thyroid, or full blood panel. And she's breeding two young dogs, what's the hurry? Why not wait until the male is 2? There's a lot going on with that breeder that would make me walk away. You might pay less upfront but you'll likely pay more in vet bills. This lady isn't part of her local DPCA club, or the main DPCA club and has so many breeds I'm not sure how she keeps up, I just don't have a good feeling about her. $3000-4000 is going rate for a doberman puppy from a reputable breeder.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I just checked out Dobie Downs and I wouldn't pay a nickel for puppies from those dogs! Dear God please wash my eyes out, sorry not sorry.

·
Super Moderator
21,497 Posts
I am in NC (an hour from Charlotte). I have been looking on the AKC marketplace.
Lynn Roberts said the Female had OFA required testing, and the male is just shy of two, so only prelims.
Her pups were $2500 dew claws, tail dock, microchipping, deworming, first vacc, and ears cropped.

I also talked to Mary Conley (Dobie Downs Kennel) in Morrow, GA. I asked and no health testing.
She is asking $1200

I have contacted
Schohaus Dobermans, but not willing to pay $4k for companion puppy.
Treasureseeker is $3200 still high for me.
Goldgrove didn't approve, because I do not currently have a fenced backyard.

If you know anyone close to me I am looking for a nice healthy black/rust doberman.
This of course will be inside dog. We are planning on a 5ft wrought iron fence in back just to make it easier to let him out to use bathroom. He will get plenty of exercise as we walk everyday, and hike some on weekends. I plan to get help in obedience training. I want my 10yr old daughter to be able to walk him too.

I hope it's ok to post my findings, if not please delete this reply.
I know it can feel really, really hard to look at the prices for puppies. You get to the point where you are ready (or think you're ready) to start looking for a puppy, and then it seems like the price of puppies is just really high. There are a lot of factors that go into puppy pricing - it's all of the health testing and preparation that's done, it's doing things to give your puppy the best start in life to make sure you have a companion that will everything a Doberman should be. A lot of that is "behind the scenes" and it's hard to see how it's different.

But let me suggest that if you want a dog that can go hiking with you, that you can trust with your 10 year old daughter, that can excel in obedience training...give some thought to your dog as an investment, too. A puppy that comes from predictable parents, grandparents, great-grandparents...that's a dog you can trust. You want a dog that is going to be a great family companion. You want a dog you can take places, that you can trust. A great breeder knows their lines. A great breeder can select a puppy that best fits your lifestyle, your goals, and your family.

If you are putting in a fence, why not go back and talk to Goldgrove again, if you liked them? Tell them you're putting up a fence and would like to discuss again?

You could also expand your search area a little more - if you would consider a road trip to pick up your puppy, you can search a bit farther afield, so to speak.

You might go to Breeder Referral | Doberman Pinscher Club of America
Another option is to ask to join the Reputable Doberman Puppies FB group: Facebook Groups

Reactions: melbrod

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for your input, and I do listen.
I want to buy from a breeder that does health testing. My last dog cost me $50-$60 a month for meds his last two years (heart murmur). I know it's no guarantee, but it's the best chance for success with the right breeder.
I like Adamas will obedience train the puppy for a fee.

It's a big purchase, so ill need things in place like a fence. The fence I am talking about has a smooth top rail.
I am starting to like the color red/rust now over the black/rust.
When I am ready I will use the list in this thread. I have no problem driving 200 miles one way.

·
Super Moderator
15,412 Posts
Our club (DPC of Charlotte) is planning to have several events this spring and summer (covid permitting). If you are interested in learning more about the breed or want to meet breeders and see some well bred dobermans in their element we would be happy to have you.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts