Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all. Glad to find this forum.

My family has been researching Dobes for a month or so now. We will be first time Dobe owners and have run the gamut of considering rescue dogs to puppies. (no other pets in recent history)

We've been to a dog show and talked to a number of owners and breeders and are slowly getting educated before we jump into the Dobe ownership arena.

... looking forward to reading and learning more here...

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Welcome Speedlever. You and your family have settled on a wonderful breed. I've had labs and newfs and currently have two dobes and will never own anything but.

I am wholly owned and still being trained by Apollo age 5 and Molly age 1. Both were rescues. my first dobe, Cody we got from a pup. there are great arguements for going either route. puppies can be a handful with housetraining and teething etc. rescues can be a handful as well as you don't necessarily know what you are getting and may have to undo what they learned from previous owners. Either way, you have made a great breed choice.

there are lots of folks on this forum from all over the world so if you want to check out breeders or have any other questions, you have come to the right spot. FYI, we will be needing pics as soon as you get your new dober kid.

welcome again
cc

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome, cc.

We strongly considered a rescue, but with a 7 and nearly 9 year old, we felt a puppy would be a better match for our family... especially since the 7 year old is somewhat apprehensive around larger dogs.

Our thinking is to start with a Dobe pup and perhaps add a rescue later... being first time owners.

·
Registered
880 Posts
speedlever said:
Thanks for the welcome, cc.

We strongly considered a rescue, but with a 7 and nearly 9 year old, we felt a puppy would be a better match for our family... especially since the 7 year old is somewhat apprehensive around larger dogs.

Our thinking is to start with a Dobe pup and perhaps add a rescue later... being first time owners.

A rumbunctious dobe puppy might not be a good idea if you have little kids in the house. Especially if one of them is apprehensive around dogs (about 7 months and up this pup will be large and more likely then not a little terror). You actually might be better off getting a mature rescue with a calmer personality and one that has been tested around kids.

What is it about this breed that attracts you in the first place? Do you have any previous experience owning or living with dogs?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good question, Zucker.

Our thinking (supported by Dobe owners we've talked to) is that having a dog grow large along with the kid fits us better than bringing a large dog in to begin with. This pretty well nixed the rescue idea.

Yes, my wife and I have both had dogs in earlier years... for most of our lives. But not in the recent past... and not since we've had kids. We have no prior Dobe experience. But one has to start somewhere.

As far as the attraction of the breed? I suppose the same thing that attracts someone to any particular breed... the look for one thing; intelligent, loyal family pet for another; short hair, Dobe interest in people interaction, etc. Or so we've heard and read. It's certainly not because they are cheap to acquire!

The 7 year old has made great progress the last few months overcoming his apprehension around dogs. But a large one right now doesn't work as well as we'd like for him. We hope the growing puppy will help that.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Honestly, I would go with a rescue. Find an adult, settled, calmer dog that is good with kids and well behaved. A Doberman puppy is a ton of work, and they're rambuctious and high maintenance and can be holy terrors while they mature and you work on training. I would think a large, rambuctious, puppy (even if the kid grew up with the dog) would be much more stressful on a child apprehensive around large dogs than a calm, mature, well behaved adult who's temperament has already formed.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I think either choice makes sense...but in my opinion...if you find a dobe that is tested around children and is great with hugs and kisses...your son will melt within a couple of minutes! :) The little kids that meet Duchess...for the first time...and usually their first dobe...you can just tell that it is a time that love at first sight exists...or first hug :) I would just atleast check out the rescue...check out the rescue part in the forum...there are some links...to dobe searches...and rescue websites...I think its worth a look and a phone call...then meeting a dobe in a rescue...that is out of its puppy stage...you may just fall in love too along with your son :) :) :)
but either way were all here for ya:) dobermans are really great dogs...but you must know that they require constant training...excersise and of course cuddling...skipping the puppy stage is a whole lot easier especially if you have kids.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmm. We talked very seriously with our local rescue organization. But the available dogs (as of a week ago) did not appear suitable for us.

We really wanted to start with a housetrained dog. But our 7 year old's reaction to the larger dogs gave us pause for concern (he visibly pulls back when the dog approaches). No alpha male action from him... yet.

In the course of conversations with experienced Dobe owners (many of whom owned rescues), we were advised that the relatively unknown history of rescue Dobes made it inadvisable for us to consider a rescue Dobe in our family with no prior Dobe experience. Obviously we have to be parents first and dog owners second.

So we have bounced back and forth as to what would be the best course of action for us as potential new Dobe owners. And we definitely do not want to contribute to the rescue problem. So we are trying to spend the time we think we need to become better educated about the breed and how it will work for us. We want to be good ambassadors for the breed too.

We want a gentle temperament Dobe. We love the reds... but black works too. Male or female.

We have much to learn and have resisted the temptation to just jump in and get a dog... any dog.

Last week we went to a local dog show and got to spend a lot of time talking to owners and some breeders too. Absolutely great info. And we know of a 6 month old from a quality breeder that's available, but given our 7 year old's apprehension, that breeder also recommended we hold out for a puppy.

Personally, I'd bypass the puppy stage, all else being equal, but at this point, as newbie wanna-be Dobe owners, the puppy appears to be our best family option.

We have a 30x80x4.5 ft high fenced backyard and want a dog that will live inside the house with us. After extensive research and consideration, the Dobe just all-around wins our hearts.

How do you tell if the Dobe is the right breed for you? I dunno. Everyone has to start somewhere.. and if the breed's in your heart, that's gotta be a good starting place. We have the environment, best I can tell. We have the desire. What else do you need to get started with the Dobe?

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
Hello and welcome, I will be getting my puppy in less than two weeks and I have no children. If I did though I think I would be leaning towards a rescue, puppies require alot your time and of course so do the kids. I understand your worries but if the rescue dog has grown up with children you would be much better off alot of the hard work has been done. Did your child have a bad experience with a large dog? Waiting until they are a little older before getting a dog may also be an option. Good luck, and whatever you decide you will be welcome here to get lot's of advice.:)

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Welcome!

We waited for close to a year for our pup (now almost 16 mos old). We attended dog shows, checked out the local Doberman Pinscher Club of America (DPCA.com) breeders, but found our breeder when we attended a AKC show near Easton PA. Was so impressed with the well-behaved 18-mo old Dobe sitting next to me watching other Dobes in the ring that I asked who the breeder was. She was a member of the DPCA, had bred Dobes for close to 20 years, and even then a litter every other year. It proved to be well worth the wait.

We kept in touch and were invited to see the litter just before they were scheduled for ear cropping. Any breeder worth his/her salt will practically interrogate you. This is a good thing - don't be put off.

A good breeder will also make it very clear that should you have any concerns about the pup fitting in to your family (circumstances can change) they want that puppy returned to them, not dropped off at a shelter. A good breeder will consider the pups their 'babies', want what is best for you, the pup and the breed.

When we visited the breeder, we were invited to meet her other Dobes (two inherited from a breeder friend who had recently passed). It was their temperament that sold us - sweet, willing to please and very smart.

The DPCA has a good list of what to look for in a reputable breeder. They should be willing to show you the health clearance certificates of both parents.

Know going in that you get out of a Dobe what you put in. They are a dominant breed - dominant does not mean aggressive. It does mean that obedience classes are a must, as is spending time every day to reinforce what you learn each week. It might be worth it to have your trainer spend time working with your children and the puppy so that they will learn how to train your Dobe as well. BTW - be prepared to endure a good 8 months of the 'bouncy puppy' stage!

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Speedlever, you are getting all sorts of great advice here and as I said earlier there's pros and cons to going with pups and rescues. one word on rescues, they are not all given up be cause they are problem dogs or have been abused. we have had rescues go thru our organization who were given up by military families who couln't bring them with on an international transfer, we even had an older dobe who was given up because his owner went into assisted living and could bring his dobe with him (could THAT be any sadder?)

My older dobe is a perfect gentleman (came that way). he has impecable housemanners and is the most gentl animal I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. Molly, while a bundle of love, is also a bundle of energy. her family didn't supposedly didn't have enough time for her. Pollo would be great with your kids, Molly would just be too rambunctious.

looking at it from a kids point of view, I can see how they would be nervous by a dog that was the size of them - an outweighed them by about 30 lbs. getting a pup and having them grow together, could certainly easy their 'big dog' fears. Please keep in mind that dobe pupies ARE a handful, they will still be puppies mentallyfor a couple of years and they do go thru a teenage phase. but raising a dog from a pup, while it can be trying (just like kids) can be extremely gratifying and a great experience for you and your kids.

so good luck and keep us posted and make sure you post up pics when you get your doberbaby.

cc

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Welcome speedlever, glad to have you aboard!

I understand your concern bringing in an older dog from rescue, with my second I thought very seriously about a rescue, even contacted an agency and applied but there was always that thought in the back of my mind that I have two grandchildren ages 7 and 10 and I wouldn't "really" know what the dog could have experienced and what he might do. Of course there is no quarentee in either situation. There is always a possibility you could get a handful either way you go.

I can see pro's and con's from either situation. With a pup you can get a sense of how the puppy will be as it grows and matures and also while training but you have all the puppy stages to go through. With a rescue the organization and foster home's evaluate the dogs before placing them. The process is to be able to learn the dog and place it in a home that is suitable for everyone involved.

I ended up going with a pup for my second and he is the most lovable laid back calm dog. He would be absolutely perfect for your home, he doesn't jump on people, he minds so good though he can be a stinker when it comes to chewing on things he shouldn't. His breeder told me he was very lovable but she didn't tell me he was so calm. I couldn't have gotten a more perfect second. The first one, my female, is rambucious.

Most Dobes by nature are very clingy velcro dogs, they want a lot of attention, they need to be inside dogs and with their people. They are intelligent, loving and loyal.

Good luck with your search and as it has been said there are pro's and con's with either way you go. I hope you find the right dog or pup to add as a new family member and that your son falls in love with it and his confidence grows along with the relationship.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I dont know if you are around Illinois...But here is a dobe at the Illinois Doberman Rescue...
"SCARPETTA Scar had to be given up when the family moved into an apartment and could not take him along. He is just 3 years old"
"this boy who is good with kids, knows his commands and is housebroken"
"He is good with large dogs, but cannot live with small dogs or cats"

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=6428612
I just thought he is worth a look :)
good luck with your search:)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all very much for the welcome and all the advice. It's good to have you as a resource in our present quest and down the road as a Dobe owner.

We have a strong puppy possibility lined up with a recommended breeder with some puppies about 4 weeks old. We spent a couple of hours being "interviewed" by them and were impressed (at our level of knowledge) with the care and attention they give to raising their Dobes. We also felt very comfortable with them.

While visiting with the breeders, they brought in an assortment of Dobes of varying temperament. Interestingly, one of the larger Dobes was also one of the most easy-going.

We want to exercise due diligence on our part and will make the most informed decision we can. The experience and information available here will greatly enable our learning.

Yes, we see pros and cons either way. Part of us really wants to rescue a Doberman in need. But the parental part of us want to have a very strong confidence level that we can trust the dog and kids together... which we think will be best filled by going the puppy route.

We're not closed to the rescue option, but may want to pursue that later (unless something comes up to change our thinking before we get a pup).

BTW, we're in NC. That's in my profile, but doesn't show anywhere that I've noticed in forum messages. Guess I could add that to my sig, but I figured if the profile asked, it would also list it somewhere visible.

Dobes, even as a pet/companion, appear to be a bit more expensive than I would have guessed, but having never bought a pure-bred before, I was ignorant of those costs anyway.

I see this thread has grown into quite a bit more than an introduction. I have no problem with that as long as the forum mods are happy.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
well speedlever you sound like you have stuff understood and undercontrol. :) I'm still with the others about checking in with some of the members that are familiar with reputable breeders...and can research them too...if they dont know stuff off the top of their head about them. They can be great help and either warn you about or make you feel confident with the choice of breeder. :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lapdog,

Not sure what you mean.

How do you research breeders when many/most participants use screen names? I sorta hate to mention names here.

I haven't had time to browse this forum yet. Is there a thread that keeps a list of recommended breeders by state?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
ther's a couple places you can go. www.dpca.org has a breeder listing by state. if the breeders have websites you they will be listed. we do have a breeder section and several have been discussed so you may want to take a look at those threads.

by going to the shows you are also doing the right thing in finding a breeder. as you are watching the ring, take a close look and see what you like (and don't) about the dobes being judged. then take a look at the show book and see who the breeders are.

I am sure that if you ask for recommendations or opinions you will get them. there are many folks here who are thrilled with thier dogs/breeders and would be happy to recommend. Unfortunatly, we also have some folks that have had some not so good breeder experience.

the one thing I can promise you is that the more research you do, the better prepared you are going to be.

cc

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We're in High Point.

I knew of the first 2 rescues but not the last one you mentioned.

For NC I've found breeders near Charlotte and also in Kernersville. I met both at a recent dog show.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts