Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I started on working on changing stress cues to calming cues. We've worked on attention before with every time she looks me in the face, she gets a c/t but now the ante is upped and every time the leash tightens, she must look me in the face to get the c/t. I love this idea. Of course when people or dogs approach, I react, I just do, I tighten the leash and get nervous but through this, we are teaching her that a tightened leash in not reason to go bonkers or get stressed, it means a c/t is on the way :) WooHoo... On with the story...
She caught on quickly but was focusing on my hand (where the treats were), that's not what I wanted so I figured the easiest way to do this was to change the location of the treats :) (I know, I know, I'm simply brilliant) Rather than tie the bag of treats around my head, I decided to do what a friend of mind used to do when training her BC, I put a handful of raw hotdogs in my mouth! Yuck, gross, blahhhh, I'll never understand the affinity dogs and kids have for hotdogs! The theory here is that she is forced to look at my face to get the treat that I'm spitting at her. So, with the treats in my mouth, we started to loose lead walk. I quietly stopped, she hit the end of the leash, I pulled slightly, she looked up and started coming back, I clicked and spit! However I did not practice this spitting thing before hand and ended up spitting out almost every treat with a bunch of slobber! It was so gross but very humorous - she thought she did something really great and was getting a jackpot!
We then took a step back to practice the spitting technique. It didn't take me long to figure out how to keep several treats stuffed in my cheek and only spit one out at a time. She is really good at catching them too!
I think we're going to have to go to cooked hotdogs rather than raw, maybe boiled chicken, certainly no liver for these exercises though...
I've been reading a lot on canine aggression and every single reliable article says the same thing, you can not fight aggression with aggression. You may be able to curb it but in the long run you're probably going to create more problems. One interesting tidbit I found was a trainer who said he always, always spit in his dogs food. The theory here was that in the pack, the leader always eats first, spitting in the food puts your mark on it and reinforces the alpha status in your dogs mind. The trainer went on to say that he did not think this was a cure all for behavior or aggressive problems but it didn't hurt either. That led me to think of watching the special feature on the Cesar dvd I have. He mixed canned in with the dry and always mixes it by hand to leave his scent on the food.
I don't think that I'll resort to spitting in their food, it's just gross but I did think it was interesting and made some sense...

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Tracy that made me laugh really really hard.....That is something I would do. JACKPOT!!! All the treats flying out at once, with all of the neighbors watching... Rommel scrambling to each and every piece of his reward, while I stand there and look like a dummie. I am absolutley positive that people who have never had animals, think we are totally bonkers. Thanks for sharing....that was so funny.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
BTW...I was going to do the hot dog thing too, to teach him to keep his focus in my eyes......but I just couldnt bring myself to do it. The thought of raw hot dogs makes my stomach turn. We need to start a thread......"Things you have spit at your dog!" Haha.....Cause I have tried to think of things and come up short. I was thinking maybe goldfish crackers? But I dont think those would be "yummy" enough???

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Hahaha! Thanks for sharing! I love the visualization that I got when you said Chi thought she did something really great and was getting the jackpot! haha. Your doing awesome! and Im sure chi really enjoys this bonding with ya:)

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BackInBlack said:
BTW...I was going to do the hot dog thing too, to teach him to keep his focus in my eyes......but I just couldnt bring myself to do it. The thought of raw hot dogs makes my stomach turn. We need to start a thread......"Things you have spit at your dog!" Haha.....Cause I have tried to think of things and come up short. I was thinking maybe goldfish crackers? But I dont think those would be "yummy" enough???
Oh my stomache hurts from laughing so hard at the visualization of spitting a gob of soggy, gross gold fish across the field!!! LOL

I have chicken thawing now and will grill it in the morning. I figure it will work both as a great training bait and a high protien lunch for me :)

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Lol Tracy.. You made me spit up my water. Thanks.

I tried the spitting thing with treats. I got them all over myself. I was never taught how to spit. I did try several times. Every time ended up like the first. By the time I realized that number I am dumber than a box of rock when it comes to spitting, and number two Gracie already forgot what she was so good that she gets a treat for it. So I gave up and came inside and took a shower and peeled off dog treats. :)

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
You never fail to get me to laugh out loud Tracy!!!! I can only imagine what people that might have seen you must have thought! "Good Dog, <spit> good dog, <spitting BIG goober that time, she must have been really good>!!"

BTW, a good attention trick to get them to focus on your eyes instead of the treat hand, is to stand in front of them with them sitting infront of you. Give a watch command (or not and just reward them for looking) and have your hands behind your back with the treats, and when they look, reward with one hand. Next time reward with the other hand, and keep changing it up so they don't know which hand it is coming from. Like a game. Doing this for a few minutes everyday when I was working on attention, and when she needs a refresher course worked for me to get Lex to watch my eyes rather then the hand that feeds her.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
ROTHFLMAO!!! I just spit my lunch all over my computer I was laugh so hard!!!

TracyJo, you keep walking around spitting like that and the folks on the base are going to be more scared of you than of Chi! no body will go near either one of you!

BIB, trust me goldfish don't work - they get soggy too quickly and when they are not soggy they don't have enough heft to go too far.

The really funny thing about all this is that we think all of it is perfectly normal lol

in all seriousness tho, I do think you are on the right track to keep her focused on you. chi is a smart girl and will learn quick enough that she has to keep her eyes on you and not just point an ear in your direction.

cc
p.s.I am sure there are some guys at the base that can help you with your spitting technique.. once you get it down I am sure Jordan will be so proud, no one else's Mommy will be able to spit as good as hers......:)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Great story, i wish you could post pics. So true that we need to eat first in order to show them who is the Alpha. THat is why they listen to me and not hubby, he is a softie and always feeds them while we are eating, bad husband, then asks me why they don't listen to him :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yuck! I have tried a couple times to do the food-in-mouth thing and I just can't bring myself to do it. Besides, my girls are lousy at catch. They can't catch a thing...so they'd be scrambling with their noses on the ground and forget I was even there!

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
:bouncesgr Big belly laugh!!!! That is to funny. By the way I would like to confess to you all that I love raw hotdogs.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
doberlover said:
Great story, i wish you could post pics. So true that we need to eat first in order to show them who is the Alpha. THat is why they listen to me and not hubby, he is a softie and always feeds them while we are eating, bad husband, then asks me why they don't listen to him :)

how do you correct a husband?

cc

1 - 12 of 12 Posts