Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Princess Indie
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

My Princess (Indie) has very sore horrible feet. Initially they were bleeding lots and had alot of wear in the paw pads. I am still thinking it was from too much running on the concrete. She was put on some antibiotics and it all healed up ok however this only lasted a week or so. It has now come back with a vengeance. which has lead me to believe it could be a yeast infection?? particularly after the antibiotics? Her feet smell horrible i can't even describe it, she gets small pustule like bumps all between her paw pads but she also gets these very sore looking lumps which you can tell are just full of blood and every now and then they will burst. treatment so far has been Malaseb baths (Antibacterial shampoo) morning and night and also spraying her feet with a vinegar and water mix inbetween washes as well as an athletes foot ointment. however if anything i think it has gotten worse. I have also been giving her some probiotics (2 per day!) and plain natural yoghurt as well as sardines.

we have an appointment at the vet tomorrow i guess i just want to see if anyone here has experienced this before and if so what it was and how was it treated?

I also forgot to mention she has been no where new and has been on the same dry food her entire life (Innova Evo grain free) she is an inside dog and spends 90% of her time inside.

Indie has also had a long history of Demedex mites for the first 3 years of her life (This will be the first year without an episode!)

:confused:

·
Always Grateful
6,952 Posts
Why does she have to run on concrete??? I would stop that immediately. I would also stop bombarding her feet with the antibacterial soap and vinegar - that "assault" makes it very difficult for cells to heal. I'd see a holistic veterinarian immediately to address this girl's immune system because that sounds like the root of the problem. I'd also be using calendula SPRAY (it dries much more quickly than gel) on the feet 2-3 times/day and PURE aloe applied 3 times/day. If her feet get wet or dirty just wash GENTLY with warm water + a couple of drops of a very mild liquid soap. Dry with soft cloth followed by the hair dryer. Use lots of good treats to reward her throughout all of this so she associates foot handling with great stuff. I'd use 100% cooked meat for this girl's rewards to make sure you don't set up a reaction to some of the crap ingredients in most treats. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
895 Posts
A severe yeast infection or possibly staph come to mind. I am glad that she has a vet appointment today to find out.

My Rottie wound up with a yeast infection following paw pad injury (running on pavement). We used antibiotic salve and booties, and changed his diet to a limited ingredient one. His was MUCH more mild that what you are describing though- he had redness between his toes and a funky smell and was excessively licking. No bleeding, pustules or anything like that.

·
sadder but wiser girl
9,688 Posts
First of all... poor baby! Secondly - find somewhere more natural for her to play. If anyone, man or beast, is on antibiotics, it kills ALL the good organisms in one's body, and you should always take (or give) good quality active cultures yogurt or kefir during and for about 2 weeks after a course of antibiotics - and then, to help boost the immune system and healthier digestion, at least once a week thereafter - about 1/4 - 1/2 cup should do, and most dogs love it.

Have you considered boots for her, to protect her feet? Also, there are products made to soothe and foster healing of paws. What you are doing is, unfortunately, more irritating and drying than therapeutic. She needs moisturizers, emollients, healing agents. And no concrete! Much luck and success in resolving her pain and discomfort.

·
Owned by Dobes since 1975
30,675 Posts
poor girl.

let us know how the Vet visit goes.

odd that she has had issues with mites off and on for so long. wonder if she has a 'problem' with her immune system.

can you post a photo here that shows her sore feet?

Hugz to Indie.

·
Princess Indie
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey all thanks for the comments and sugegstions. I guess i went down the path of trying to clean her feet as infection was the first thing that came to mind and all of my reserach about yeast said to keep it clean and dry.

she had a scraping yesterday to ensure her mites have continued to stay away (and thank goodness they are not around) the vet took a swab of her paws and yep turned out to be a Staph infection. she is on antibiotics now and already seems to be feeling much better I will continue the yoghurts and probiotics while she is on the antibiotics.

We will continue to keep her inside the house off the concrete (Unfortunately our backyard consists only of concrete and synthetic grass) I have purchased some good quality boots for her online which should turn up in a week or so.

Mites were put down to the breeder (it was a small backyard deal on a farm) thankfully it looks like this time we have kicked them after a very long treatment.

I hope you can view the picture :)

Attachments

·
Princess Indie
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hope things continue to improve.

those pads do look sore.

hugz to you and your girl.

maybe do some research on autoimmune issues in dogs, this is one that comes to mind..... Skin Disease, Autoimmune (Pemphigus) in Dogs | petMD
Thanks Darkevs. Her immune system is certainly something I have worried about particularly after her mites episodes. I will continue to look into it, thank you for the information and support :)

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
K9 Immunity Plus is one of the best supplements, it is used extensively with dogs in cancer treatment. I would recommend trying that in conjunction with other treatments if your vet thinks that it is okay.

·
Registered
687 Posts
There is absolutely no way I would let a dog run on concrete, even with booties. Her pads look painful. I fear they will never really heal if she returns to running on concrete. Once they heal and all infection is gone, try some Mushers Secret for additional protection. Long term I think you will have to limit her play on concrete. I would expect joint issues to also develop over years of play on concrete.

·
Princess Indie
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is absolutely no way I would let a dog run on concrete, even with booties. Her pads look painful. I fear they will never really heal if she returns to running on concrete. Once they heal and all infection is gone, try some Mushers Secret for additional protection. Long term I think you will have to limit her play on concrete. I would expect joint issues to also develop over years of play on concrete.
I totally agree with you. the booties are simply for the short term and will help on our walks as well (which mosltly take place on dirt walking trails).

She is an inside dog who doesn't spend alot of time outside especially recently. We are in the process of purchasing a new house currently and will be saying good ridance to the concrete yard that's for sure!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. 5 days into her antibiootic treatment and she is herself again I cannot beleive how much her paws have already healed!It won't be long until we will be going back on our long walks!

·
Registered
397 Posts
I think at this time of year with heated dry air everywhere can also help irritate a situation. I hear ya when you say stinky...The Sharpei I just got STINKS.
I agree with see a holistic vet..

Sounds like your doing a good job :nicejob: But sometimes even our best efforts aren't good enough. So don't blame yourself. I have a tendency to do that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts