Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so its raining. Not just a little bit, and its not going to stop anytime soon. Stella is used to playing outside with our other dog and is tired of only playing with me. She has tons of energy on a regular day, and even more today because she is "trapped" inside. Any ideas other than tug...she's already lost interest in that.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Are there any dog friendly buildings you can go to?

Maybe invest in a doggie raincoat:)

You can do basic obedience in the house.
Play tug of war
Do the canine intelligence test
Hide treats in one room and say 'go find it'
Learn a new trick
Pamper your dog and give a full spa treatment (brush, nail clip, clean ears, eyes, ect)

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Find it - I hide Kryah's stuffy and she has to find it. Other times I put her in a sit/wait then I hide then call her to find me and then we chase each other and start over. Play fetch with squeaky stuffy down the hall. Do some basic training. Pull out the clicker. Its a tight squeeze but play with her flirt pole. Get a frozen kong, treat toy or bone.

ETA: Also if its not raining too hard and no thunder I go out in the rain to play. I forgot this one. :)

·
joie de vivre
11,276 Posts
I really like to play "Let's all take a nap!" :D Kidding. Kind of. LOL

Puzzle games are good for wearing out puppies, hide and seek is a fun one, learning new tricks... I still like to load my girls in the car and take them to dog-friendly stores to walk around on rainy days, but that was always helpful for the puppy days too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We made it through the day, just worked on fetch and played lots of tug. I have to say that my favorite suggestion was... "let's all take a nap"!!! We did some of that too. :) Thanks for the suggestions!

·
U got some splain' to do
244 Posts
another good play thing is a laser pointer. Maui goes bolistic for the red dot. I have her chasing it all through the house and it really wears her out. I keep a stock of batteries, so I never run out and she is never without her red dot. To keep her more calm, I have a kong toy filled with treats or any kind of stuffing to keep her occupied. (beating up the little dogs is not a choice)

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
Try googling Its yer Choice on youtube. It should give you all kinds of self control games.

I would be careful with using laser dot tag. Some dogs, not all obviously, develop an OCD and once it starts, you cannot stop it. It's awful. They chase everything and anything. Shadows, reflections, etc.

obsessive-compulsive behavior

·
You can't kill the metal
832 Posts
I have to do this often right now, my puppy hates the cold.

Inside I tend to get the rope and play tug/wrestle on the futon.

I will also get some of her food along with the clicker and try some new/old training. I incorporate training during games as well, without the treats.

I have a tennis ball that I will bounce off the floor that she likes to try to catch.

Sometimes she just leaps from the futon to the ottoman to the love seat.

Hiding and making her find objects is a great idea, this always gets Lexi's ears perked up.

If she stinks I will give her a bath, otherwise I trim her nails and brush her fur.

We have fun with the vacuum cleaner to, ok maybe that's just me having fun. lol

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I play football with her. She loves chasing the ball and as a soccer ball is big, she is hard to grab it.

I agree with giving a bath! It seems that Elza gets exhausted in a sense.
She's calm in the bathroom, but after that she gets excited running around the house then goes sleeping suddenly, I don't know why;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts