Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Although I agree that she needs to know what is right and wrong, I truly do not think that heavy handed, correction training is the key. In fact, as some of you know, we tried that and it backfired miserably. I do honestly believe that with enough repetition on my part, positive experiences and of course maturity, she will gain the confidence she is now lacking and become more stable.
I think that's right. More positive experiences and games/training which build confidence will surely help. Agility is great for that and tons of fun, doesn't have to be serious at all. But they're so proud of themselves when they do something well which is physically challenging. I really believe they do. And you're right. I notice a great deal of difference in the confidence level as Lyric matures. How old is Chi again?

And like you said, there's definitely something in the breeding and not staying with the litter mates a little longer that could have an impact.

And I totally agree that heavy handedness has no place in training these sensative creatures. I wish you all the very best in working through all this. It sounds like you're doing really well with her and she'll come around so much better with a little time. Kudos for all your hard work and dedication to your dog.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Dang it! Why does this happen. I hit send and it didn't and I waited for a long time. Then I hit send again because I thought I must not have hit it right. Then it goes on twice. And I can't see how to delete. Does anyone know how to delete? Sorry it's on here twice. This happened once before too. Grrr.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'm actually looking for materials to build a couple small jumps and weave poles. Am also planning on ordering a tunnel after the first of the year. Just lately we've been working on pseudo agility at a local play ground. She loves the slides! Of course we do this when all the kids are in school.
She's a smart puppy and works best when she's afforded the opportunity to "think". She has discovered at least 120 things to do with a box, rather than the standard 101 :)
She has to learn to be discerning, there will be little room for error in the future. If we get orders back to Europe, Germany specifically, she will almost certainly have to take a very strict temperment test. I've got 2.5 years to achieve this and am forced to rely mostly on the internet and my own judgement for suggestions and advice. Although I have posted our set-backs, I probably haven't posted as many achievements. She is doing remarkably well considering where she was just a month or so ago. I think now we're facing a double whammy. She's 6 months old and from what I have read at an age where it is normal for dogs to pretty much hit the "terrible-two's" and she's got fear issues. We will continue on our path though. She's so smart and so incredibly loving and sensitive, I can't imagine life without her...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Well, well...it sounds like she HAS achieved a lot. I'd love to hear more about this "box." What is this about? All those things she does with it?

I think too that at 6 months, they are haven't quite "found" themselves. Things change with their minds as they mature. I've noticed it in Lyric. They do get more confident and familiar with things and people and I think she'll probably level out with your continued dedication and socializing/training etc.

Way to go!

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
http://clickertraining.com/training/clicker_basics/?loaditem=101_w_a_box&itemnumber=8

Here is a link to Karen Pryor's step by step guide to 101 Things to do with a box... I use it for rainy day training or just when we're bored. It also comes in handy when I am lacking in energy and she has more than enough :)
Chi will now - on command - jump in and sit in the box (this translated well to the bathtub), she will push the box around the living room (still not sure what I'm going to do with that), pick the box up and carry it (will replace box with a basket soon). Currently we are working on left/right with the box. Right now she's grasping the concept if she paws the box with her left foot, she gets the c/t, will think of and add a command to this in a day or so... Figure this will come in handy when I trim her nails, give me your left foot, now give me your right... Too much time on my hands? Probably :) Fun thing about this excercise is the dog decides which behaviors to exhibit and the trainer decides which behaviors to reward. She will throw a million different things at me when the box comes out, I simply wait for one that I really like and then reward for only that one, I don't direct or lure her, it's completely up to her... Much fun! :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Oh wow! That does sound fun for a rainy day. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to read more about it. Plus, it must make for just plain good, interaction with your dog.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts