Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Instead of hijacking another thread thought I'd ask this question here.

How cold does it have to be to be concerned about frost bitten ears? Anyone here had a problem with that?

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Below Zero? I never have a dog out for but a few minutes up here, I guess we are used to it.

Why, what happened?

·
_______
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing but someone mentioned a breeder who puts snoods on the dogs due to frostbite risk.
I imagine there's not a lot of blood flow especially @the tips of the ears so I was wondering at what point to worry temperature wise and if I should be acclimating our wee debbil dawg to a snood early on.

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Unless it is something unusual in climate, probably not.

We can do park days to about -10c without snoods or coats. They don't last long, but they like the brief run.

If they were younger, I'd do snoods, but if they need snoods, they need boots....paws go ow first.. :)

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
Timmins is quite north of you (and I) i havent worried about it here yet. We have had some cold days, those days we hibernate. Princess and I dont do cold weather very much.

·
Extraordimary
4,959 Posts
When I was in Timmins visiting, we saw a few cropped dogs with missing tips. :-( Or white tips when they weren't supposed to be white.

I don't know how extreme it has to be to get frostbitten. I'm not a winter person. If it's really cold, I'm hibernating and so are my dogs. They only go do what they have to on the days that I consider particular nasty. Even then, there have been a few occasions where I've sat and just covered a dogs ears with my hands to bring them back to temperature after they've been out and they feel cold to me.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
If the weather is below freezing, there is potential for frost bite. I always walk my dog without gloves, so if my fingertips get cold, his ear tips must be cold as well! When it's chilly, I check his ears every 10mins (roughly the time it takes for huntings response to kick in). So far, he can handle -15C on a 45min walk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts