Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering doing Frontline Plus every 6 weeks instead of every 4. My dogs really aren't exposed to a lot of wild areas - we're mostly suburban. They both are on heartworm preventative.

Just wondering if anyone's noticed a difference with going a little longer between applications.

Reactions: Q734

·
Registered
866 Posts
I am somewhat apprehensive about putting poison on my kids. That said, I have experimented. Went to 6 weeks, good. Went to 8 weeks, good. Went to 12 weeks, good. Went to 13 weeks, got a few fleas. I am at 12 weeks. If/when I notice lots of stray/feral cats in the hood I back it down a little. It would seem we are in a similar environment, so... It may work for you.

·
Da Boss
3,494 Posts
I'm actually trying to not use any Frontline this summer. I just don't trust all those chemicals. We live in the city also, so she doesn't really get into wild areas either. So far I haven't noticed any difference other than she doesn't have that greasy spot between her shoulder blades. If I do find any ticks though that may change my mind! She is on a monthly heart worm preventative.

Reactions: MeadowCat

·
Banned
7,405 Posts
Well, I guess there is one thing to be said for this climate, we don't need to use anything like that here.

·
Got mutt?
13,848 Posts
I've not had much luck with Frontline Plus down here. It helped some, but we still had fleas on both cats and dogs. I use Advantix on the dogs, with better results. For the cats, I use either Revolution or Advantage.

·
Super Moderator
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've not had much luck with Frontline Plus down here. It helped some, but we still had fleas on both cats and dogs. I use Advantix on the dogs, with better results. For the cats, I use either Revolution or Advantage.
I would love to do Advantix, but with it being poisonous to cats I'm just not willing to risk it with cats in our house.

Thanks to everyone for the input - I think I'll try stretching to six weeks for sure, since we have reasonably low exposure. However, I've had a flea infestation before (foster cats several years ago) and I will NOT do that again - it was a nightmare.

·
Got mutt?
13,848 Posts
I would love to do Advantix, but with it being poisonous to cats I'm just not willing to risk it with cats in our house.

Thanks to everyone for the input - I think I'll try stretching to six weeks for sure, since we have reasonably low exposure. However, I've had a flea infestation before (foster cats several years ago) and I will NOT do that again - it was a nightmare.
I've never had a problem, knock on wood. I think the cats have to actually come in contact with it when it's still wet for it to affect them. I like the Advantix because of the mosquito repelling claim. Skeeters are bad down here year round.

·
Super Moderator
15,551 Posts
Frontline doesn't work for us around these parts- we still get fleas. My vet also acknowledges we have these "mutant fleas" and doesn't recommend frontline. I use advantage applied every other month and don't have a flea or tick problem.

·
Super Moderator
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Frontline doesn't work for us around these parts- we still get fleas. My vet also acknowledges we have these "mutant fleas" and doesn't recommend frontline. I use advantage applied every other month and don't have a flea or tick problem.
I need tick protection more than flea, so I can't use Advantage. But I don't have mutant fleas around here, so I've been happy with Frontline.

Sounds like I can extend the time between applications significantly, though!

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Of course I'm in the middle of tick country but my guys were all on Frontline Plus every 4 weeks. Even with the Frontline, I found a tick on Joe July 2 and July 7 he was diagnosed with RMSF. I'd just say to watch carefully and if you can safely extend the period of not having to use it, I would do that. I dislike applying any poisonous chemical to the dogs. I'd also consider dusting the yard and exterior with Perma-Guard a diatomaceous dust. It's a natural product that we can feed to our horses. It keeps down flies, ticks, lice, fleas, etc.

·
Registered
121 Posts
if you miss a dose it will NOT be covered by the products warrantee, something we always have to tell put our clients when Buying any of the parasite preventions we Sale. I know for heartgard plus, their guarantee against heartworm, where if a dog becomes positive while in heartgard plus they will pay for the heartworm treatment. But at least in California, Fleas and Ticks have been SO bad this year we are Recommending people use preventic collars with Either Frontline plus, or Vectra. And We also recommend putting the product in Dabs from the back of the neck really high in the middle between the ears, and down the back in Dabs not a straight line, Were finding the fleas are much more resistant this year in my area. We have had more people try more products then ever on their pets because 1 application of flea and tick prevention is not enough. I recommend preventic collars, and if you do get fleas, treat from tapeworms, bomb and vacuum the house and burn pile weeds recently cut to kill tick and other bugs that might be infected with tapeworms or fleas. What we currently have that we offer clients, is Vectra 3-D, Frontline plus, Advantage multi, Trifexis and the Preventic Collars.

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
We do it every 8 weeks or so and only use half the recommended dose. I'd buy the right size for one Dobe and then split it between 2 dobes. With my 3, I buy the right size for Vizslas and split it and then give Flirt that size dose (which is the smaller weight/category/size).

·
Super Moderator
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
if you miss a dose it will NOT be covered by the products warrantee, something we always have to tell put our clients when Buying any of the parasite preventions we Sale. I know for heartgard plus, their guarantee against heartworm, where if a dog becomes positive while in heartgard plus they will pay for the heartworm treatment. But at least in California, Fleas and Ticks have been SO bad this year we are Recommending people use preventic collars with Either Frontline plus, or Vectra. And We also recommend putting the product in Dabs from the back of the neck really high in the middle between the ears, and down the back in Dabs not a straight line, Were finding the fleas are much more resistant this year in my area. We have had more people try more products then ever on their pets because 1 application of flea and tick prevention is not enough. I recommend preventic collars, and if you do get fleas, treat from tapeworms, bomb and vacuum the house and burn pile weeds recently cut to kill tick and other bugs that might be infected with tapeworms or fleas. What we currently have that we offer clients, is Vectra 3-D, Frontline plus, Advantage multi, Trifexis and the Preventic Collars.
I think only the heartworm drugs come witha guarantee/treatment payment, right?

·
Registered
9,449 Posts
I think only the heartworm drugs come witha guarantee/treatment payment, right?
As far as I knew it was only HW dmedication but I thought my vet said it also required an annual test too for the guarantee. I've never heard of a topical flea/tick med guarantee.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just hate these chemicals and don't put them on Ruby or Shadow. They are out in countryside every day and have never had fleas. Guess English cold summers are good for some things!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yes My work/vet Requires for annual Heartworm testing because its what is required by Merial to back up the guarantee. I'm not sure on the flea and tick guarantee on certain products, but I know the Reps for Vectra 3D, and Frontline Plus were telling us to show the owners another way of applying it especially on the back of the head and using Preventic Collar's in conjunction, since this year fleas and ticks have been so bad. Were noticing more lyme and tick diseases and recommend doing a 4DX test instead of just plain old heartworm antigen tests. It's bad where we live. lots of fields, open land, ranches, etc so lots of fleas, ticks, everything mosquitoes because of all the lakes and wetlands around.

·
Banned
1,141 Posts
before I got cats...when it was a one pet household
I had much success using frontline or advantage only in the summer
three doses a year ==then just a once a month Dawn Dishsoap bath

however...now that we have cats--even though they are indoor=fighting fleas is harder...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts