Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yogi can't seem to sit normally on my tile floor. It's actually very cute to watch, but everytime he tries to sit his front feet keep sliding forward on the tile. It's like they need some silicone rubber coatings on the pads to keep them from sliding :)

It's cute as heck but poor Yogi can sit still on the tile floor :)

Is it because he's not sitting completely upright and perhaps his legs are pointed forward a bit? Anyone else's dobie have this sitting problem? :)

·
Registered
891 Posts
Carpets carpets carpets.....

Sit on a bare floor???? in this house????

I have combinations of wood and ceramic floors, but I use alot of runners and larger carpets. My Father lost his GSD years ago because she slipped and broke her back on bare floors. So instilled since birth..no bare floors LOL

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Duchess slides back sometimes when sitting on the hardwood floor....but mostly when she was yogi's age....
I would love to have more carpets placed throughout the house...but what do you do if you have a cat that likes to pee on things that absorb that are placed on the floor? lol we might be able to get away with using this thin mat we have by our front door...but he might see it and realize its something he can pee on. lol. we can't even have a dog bed on the floor downstairs on the hardwood floor cause he will pee on it. errrr

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a mix. I've got tile in the kitchen, living room and dinning room and carpet in the office and all the bedrooms. I've got a persian rug in the living room to. I wouldn't want carpet in the heavy traffic areas, especially with Yogi adding to the dirt. He carts in a bucket of dirt every time he comes in from outside. If there were carpet there, I'd have to replace it every 3 months :)

He doesn't act up in the house anyway so I'm not worried about injury. If he starts acting up, we go outside.

Ooop, like right now he just rang the Poochie Bells so he wants to go out.

"Yogi, here I come. Be there in a second" :)

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
We have ceramic & porcelin (spelling) tile throughout the downstairs. We do have an area rug in the living room and one in the family room. I worry about Orson constantly because he will come flying down the hall and have no brakes! After bath time is the worst! My oldest sons border mix (phoebe) never has a problem but she has a lower center of gravity. This is something I never considered when I brought him home. I have considered some house shoes with rubber soles, but I doubt he would leave them alone. Now hearing about the GSD that broke it's back I am really freaked!

·
Registered
891 Posts
Acooper said:
We have ceramic & porcelin (spelling) tile throughout the downstairs. We do have an area rug in the living room and one in the family room. I worry about Orson constantly because he will come flying down the hall and have no brakes! After bath time is the worst! My oldest sons border mix (phoebe) never has a problem but she has a lower center of gravity. This is something I never considered when I brought him home. I have considered some house shoes with rubber soles, but I doubt he would leave them alone. Now hearing about the GSD that broke it's back I am really freaked!
I didn't mean to freak you, it's just something that is a constant worry of mine because of the heartbreak my Father went through ( I wasn't even born). Just something to consider is all :)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I'd imagine the house would have to be HUGE enough for the Shepard to gain enough speed to wipe out like that. Florida homes are just not that big, unless of course you're lucky enough to have purchased a 2 million dollar home....which is about the size of a normal mid-west home.

I live in a townhouse. There just isn't enough room for Yogi to run at high speeds like that. Coming down the stairs, he slipped a few times. But, he's learned to slow to almost a stop when he comes down them now.

Also, Shepards are so much more full of energy than Dobermans...IMHO. I have friends that own them and all they want to do is hurdle jumps like a horse....all goofy like....like a Lab. Yogi is so much more intelligent and sophisticated. He just naturally knows that if he wants to run that he needs to go outside. And even then, it's hard to just run around full speed on a lead leash. There are no open fields for him to just run around and run and run and run and run and run and run and run. Wish there was, but there's not. City life ya' know :)

Taking him to the dog park on the weekend is about all the full speed running that he gets, except for 32 feet of back and forth running on the lead leash.

So, I have no fear of him getting hurt on the tile.

I have a bedroom downstairs that's a game room. Pretty big. It's got double doors on it and if he wants to roll around with me or some toys, we go in there.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Rommel does the exact same thing Yogi does. My whole house has wood floors except the bedrooms. Rommel has kinda learned now, but especially when he was smaller he would be sitting and his front feet just slooooowly slide forward. He still does it when he is excited and not paying attention.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
We put in tile floors shortly after getting our first dobie. It was just too hard to keep the carpets clean. Titus (2 years old) does have a heck of time sitting without his front paws sliding and if he and Jada (10 weeks old) are playing she usually will slide along the floor. We have area rugs in each of the rooms (except the kitchen) that we have the tile so that if they are laying on the floor they can lay on the the rugs. Actually they perfer the couches (leather is a dobie owners best friend). We also live in Florida and do not have a huge house but have a good size back yard so most of their play time is outside.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What part of Florida do you live in. If you were lucky enough to buy a house many years ago, you might have actually got one with a yard for a reasonable price. Now, they are selling one bedroom efficiency apartments for 200,000.00 Unbelievable the price of housing down here now.

And that's so funny that leather couches are so much better than cloth. Yogi loves to chew on anything cloth, so you always have to kinda' watch him. But he has no taste for leather at all. So, it's perfect.

Do you find the front paws sliding cute? :) I do.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
we have vinyl flooring in the laundry room where we feed Molly. she gets so excited when food is coming (Molly's favorite 'F' word) that she can't sit without her front feet sliding. I also think she does it on purpose as it gets her closer to her bowl.

our hardwood floors all are in the the "Distressed Doberman" finish so while they may slide while trying to corner, they can still sit ok.

cc

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I find it a little endearing when he is trying to sit nicely but can't (like food time) I always ask him to sit/stay when I bring his dish of food and he is not allowed to get up until I ask him to eat. This takes place in the kitchen (ceramic tile ) and he can not hold a sit stay without doing the "no parking brake" shuffle.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Have you seen any indoor dog boots? My poor old boxer has arthiritis in her spine and she can hardly stand up on the tile in the kitchen. I put runners all the way through it for her, but if she gets off of them she's in trouble. I tell her to "get back on your rug" and she does, but I was wondering if there are any boots would work. I mentioned it to the vet and she was afraid that the waterproofing of most dog boots would cause problems.
Jen

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Yogi said:
Also, Shepards are so much more full of energy than Dobermans...IMHO. Yogi is so much more intelligent and sophisticated. He just naturally knows that if he wants to run that he needs to go outside.
You haven't met many Dobes then huh? LOL! :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts