Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In short…
My two friends want to breed their dogs. Chiwawa Pug female with Beagle pug male. What can I say to them to make them realize this is a BAD idea?

Both dogs were bought off of kijiji from “breeders”. Both are just over a year old now. The beagle pug mix has a no breeding contract.

The owners of the Chiwawa pug mix are a little hesitant right now. But undecided of what is going to happen. They’ve heard that chiwawas often have to get a C section and I think this is the main thing that is holding them back. The cost of the cesarean.

I obviously do not think this is a good idea. But want the thoughts, opinions and advice from you that have much more knowledge on the subject. What are the risks, challenges and hardship of impregnating your dog, and having a litter?

I want to be able to sway them in the right direction without being flat out rude. Right now they just think it would be cool to do, keep a pup for themselves, and sadly a way to get some money.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I appreciate all your feedback so much!
I've lightly touched on the subject of so many unwanted pets in shelters, and the responsibility they have to the ones they are selling. and that the people who buy there pup, could save one in a shelter.

I'm going to search kijiji to see how much a mutt of there sort would sell for.... I think they paid around 300 for their dogs. So really a C section costing $1000, there is no way they are going to get the money out of it. I'm going to call my vet (which is also my friends) and see how much it would cost.

I'm interested in details about C sections, and the aftermath. FAIREVIEW - Thanks for your sharing your past experience. I think this is a good way to get through to them. They do love there dogs to bits, and the owner is already somewhat nervous / scared of the effects it will have on her girl. So if i can make it seem unattractive as possible this is exactly what I'm going to do.
Are still births common with a C-Section?
This disorientation after the surgery, is this common? Has anyone had an experience like this?
Do the pups need to be hand fed? since the mom will be recovering from the surgery?

I also need to update my dog tags (i know tisk tisk on me, I'm a month late!) So i'll be heading to the OSPCA to get the tags, I'll visit the rescues as well. Bring up the conversation the next time I am with them and hopefully it strikes a cord with them. drag them along next time I go. OR better yet, maybe they haven't updated there tags yet and they'll HAVE to go to the shelter anyways. Okay... this could work.

I will keep you all updated.

Anymore tips in the meantime will be helpful!
Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the no breeding contract was surprising to me too.
I searched online for for a pug mix. Lots came up. Most of them being older dogs for sale around $150 to $200, pups around $300. I'll be able to use this to my advantage.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When to the shelter today... the dogs are closed because there is a virus. Won't be open for 10 days.

On a side note... Do all shelters / ospca's have grumpy unwelcoming people working there? I was blown away by how off putting they were. I'm interested in fostering a dog or helping out at the shelter and the people were so off putting. One word answers, like pulling teeth. I was so discouraged :- ( i understand maybe they dont have the most enjoyable positive job, but I want to help! you think they would be a little enthusiastic about that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.