Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In short…
My two friends want to breed their dogs. Chiwawa Pug female with Beagle pug male. What can I say to them to make them realize this is a BAD idea?

Both dogs were bought off of kijiji from “breeders”. Both are just over a year old now. The beagle pug mix has a no breeding contract.

The owners of the Chiwawa pug mix are a little hesitant right now. But undecided of what is going to happen. They’ve heard that chiwawas often have to get a C section and I think this is the main thing that is holding them back. The cost of the cesarean.

I obviously do not think this is a good idea. But want the thoughts, opinions and advice from you that have much more knowledge on the subject. What are the risks, challenges and hardship of impregnating your dog, and having a litter?

I want to be able to sway them in the right direction without being flat out rude. Right now they just think it would be cool to do, keep a pup for themselves, and sadly a way to get some money.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Tell them that c-sections are expensive and many mothers, especially first time mothers, are VERY disoriented after a c-section. Our bitch who had a c-section had issues afterwards that made her unable to recognize her puppy as hers for a few days after delivery. She literally could not be left alone for us to even run to the bathroom for fear of her hurting her puppies. It was an up all night experience to put her in there to nurse while protecting the puppies. If these people work, they could have a huge problem on their hands. Also, toy breeds often times have small litters (1-2 pups), so they'd be spending over $1000 for a c-section and might only get one live pup from the breeding.

·
of Ferret Rock
1,674 Posts
So they have two mutts and they want to mix them and make even more mutts? WTF is WRONG with people?

The Chihuahua-mix will definitely have to have a C-section if being bred to a larger dog, and just the breeding itself may be very painful for her.

You could also try pointing to all the chihuahua and pug and beagle mixes in your local shelters (petfinder and adoptapet.com are good resources for this, but I do not know if they include Canadian shelters?) and remind them that if they bring a life into this world, they are responsible for it for the rest of its life. (This can be a bit hard to sell, though, as people have blinders on and are so convinced that it'll never happen to THEIR puppies. And then since they don't track the pups into adulthood, they never have to face how wrong they were. *le sigh*)

With puppies there's always the possibility of parvo too - and treatment for parvo can be very expensive (talking possibly over $1k a pup here...)

You could go into all that goes into puppy socialization and care... but if they are like my coworkers they don't actually do any of it. And then the dogs turn out poorly socialized as well as poorly bred...

You could also start pointing out the benefits of spayed and neutered pets! And how it's easier to deal with a pet that never goes into heat and gets blood all over the house, and neutered males are less likely to mark inside the house - in addition to the health benefits!

Good luck!

·
terriorist entertainer
2,404 Posts
Keep stressing the likelyhood of costs for a cesar....then add the costs of feeding and vaccinating and worming puppies....then take them for a visit of the local pound to see how many mixed breed designer mutts end up on death row...sigh heavily that due to irresposible overbreeding there are not enough good homes to save them all...better still...ask if they'd like to hold a pup whilst it's put down.....tell tales of legal nightmares of breeding a dog with a no breeding contract....tell them they're being unethical and irresponsible...and keep stressing how they will not be making any money...it will cost them dearly, in actual costs and loss of respect. ;)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Take them to a shelter on the day they put down dogs and let them witness the process. Then ask them if they really think that breeding more dogs is a good idea...especially when those dogs are mixed breed and will likely be of little value to the general public. If that doesn't make an impression, nothing will.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
I second the take them to a shelter opinion. Make them look at the dogs who have to "make space" for the next generation they inntend to produce.

Every shelter I know takes and welcomes volunteers. One afternoon could change everything. If they can see a happy, friendly, waggly tailed dog about to die from lack of space and still produce more... Find better friends. :)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
If you aren't able to take them to a shelter, do a search on petfinder for mixed breed dogs. Show them how many thousands are in desperate need of homes. Then maybe even show them how many purebred dogs are also unwanted. Break down the costs of raising a litter, the risk of the pregnancy and birth, and how much properly raising a litter will cost. Then ask them to do some research on how much someone will pay for a mixed breed mutt puppy...not much. Heck, people can't even give them away in this economy. I sincerely hope you can stop their plan. The thought of someone breeding dogs for no reason except money or because they think it's cool literally makes me sick. Honestly, I still think the shelter visit is the biggest way to get through to them. I've held perfectly healthy dogs still as they receive their death injection and let me tell you...that experience stays with you and makes you hate anyone who allows their dogs to reproduce without good reason.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I second the take them to a shelter opinion. Make them look at the dogs who have to "make space" for the next generation they inntend to produce.

Every shelter I know takes and welcomes volunteers. One afternoon could change everything. If they can see a happy, friendly, waggly tailed dog about to die from lack of space and still produce more... Find better friends. :)
This is were one needs a montage of all of those shelter commercials of all the sad, unwanted, abused animals in over crowded facilities

I cry every time... :(

I think a shelter visit will definitely drive the point home.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
This is were one needs a montage of all of those shelter commercials of all the sad, unwanted, abused animals in over crowded facilities

I cry every time... :(

I think a shelter visit will definitely drive the point home.
No montage of sorrowful music commissioned by a for profit organization will ever hit home as hard as a death row puppy licking your face. Take her to a shelter.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I appreciate all your feedback so much!
I've lightly touched on the subject of so many unwanted pets in shelters, and the responsibility they have to the ones they are selling. and that the people who buy there pup, could save one in a shelter.

I'm going to search kijiji to see how much a mutt of there sort would sell for.... I think they paid around 300 for their dogs. So really a C section costing $1000, there is no way they are going to get the money out of it. I'm going to call my vet (which is also my friends) and see how much it would cost.

I'm interested in details about C sections, and the aftermath. FAIREVIEW - Thanks for your sharing your past experience. I think this is a good way to get through to them. They do love there dogs to bits, and the owner is already somewhat nervous / scared of the effects it will have on her girl. So if i can make it seem unattractive as possible this is exactly what I'm going to do.
Are still births common with a C-Section?
This disorientation after the surgery, is this common? Has anyone had an experience like this?
Do the pups need to be hand fed? since the mom will be recovering from the surgery?

I also need to update my dog tags (i know tisk tisk on me, I'm a month late!) So i'll be heading to the OSPCA to get the tags, I'll visit the rescues as well. Bring up the conversation the next time I am with them and hopefully it strikes a cord with them. drag them along next time I go. OR better yet, maybe they haven't updated there tags yet and they'll HAVE to go to the shelter anyways. Okay... this could work.

I will keep you all updated.

Anymore tips in the meantime will be helpful!
Thanks!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Tell her there are possible legal ramifications of violating a non-breeding contract.
You have to wonder why a mutt has a non breeding contract? If it were from a rescue then it should have been altered prior to placement or at least have an altering contract in place?
But a NON breeding contract, just a lttle confusing!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Find out who the breeder is of the no breeding contract puppy and drop her a line about the intended violation of the contract.
Definitly agree.
Find the breeder and spill a few beans about the situation
.... I don't understand the mentallity of people,
Oh i own a horse and a goat, wouldnt be cool to breed them.
Honestly, do these people have lives other than ruining there
So called beloved pets.
Good on you for Hopefully sheding some light on these people
Ideas..i really hope they listen.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the no breeding contract was surprising to me too.
I searched online for for a pug mix. Lots came up. Most of them being older dogs for sale around $150 to $200, pups around $300. I'll be able to use this to my advantage.

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
I was thinking that too. Perhaps the dog is one of those designer mixes. OP stated the dog was purchased from a breeder off kijiji.

You have to wonder why a mutt has a non breeding contract? If it were from a rescue then it should have been altered prior to placement or at least have an altering contract in place?
But a NON breeding contract, just a lttle confusing!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When to the shelter today... the dogs are closed because there is a virus. Won't be open for 10 days.

On a side note... Do all shelters / ospca's have grumpy unwelcoming people working there? I was blown away by how off putting they were. I'm interested in fostering a dog or helping out at the shelter and the people were so off putting. One word answers, like pulling teeth. I was so discouraged :- ( i understand maybe they dont have the most enjoyable positive job, but I want to help! you think they would be a little enthusiastic about that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts