Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have been hoofing it around to the asian markets around here looking for Smelt and/or Sardines. Every time I went, they were sold out. Then, someone reminded me that there is a fish market at the Redondo Beach Pier (about 1.5 miles from me).

So, today I went there and bought a couple of pounds of fresh caught Sardines (Pacific ones - a little bigger than what you see - 4 inches or so) and some really pretty Smelt. They are now in the freezer for dog feeding.

I will still be looking for frozen to keep me going, but at least I have some good stuff now. :)

I can't believe that I never thought to try the fish market.

Lisa

·
Registered
16,117 Posts
Trying to remember if/what the problem is that has you hoofing it around the asian markets? Hey, I was at Redondo Beach about 1975 or so. I will never forget, later on, we stepped off the curb and all the cars rapidly came to a stop to allow us to cross. We were standing there in shock for a bit before it hit us they were waiting on us. That is also when I discovered honky tonk red neck bars were universal.:) Very interesting, but I never made it to the race track and have always been sorry about that and The Johnny Carson Show. With a bunch of uneducated heathens on a trip financed by pot ripped off by one of the heathens. We made it back to Arizona on I10, downpour, out of gas, us under a bridge and one boy crying, furious cause they talked him into using his plane ticket money for gas/food instead of flying home after he talked his parents into sending him the money. Do it while your single, young and have a blast is all I got to say. Those times are fun to remember. I hadnt thought of it n years:laughing:

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a typical california visit. :)

Most of the asian markets have a good selection of frozen fish and meat parts - like beef necks, turkey necks at good prices.

Reactions: LindaH

·
Take my Dobe, please!
2,567 Posts
I lucked out and found frozen sardines at my local supermarket. $1.98/lb, which is cheaper than the canned, and no salt added. They are scaled, but not gutted. The market usually sets them in a display case with a sign that reads, "FRESH previously frozen". I try to get there early on delivery day so I can get them while they're still frozen. They are a lot less smelly and goopy when I cut them frozen. I give half a sardine to my foster Dobe and half to my foster Boxer-mix right before their breakfast.

This is a recent addition to the Dobe's diet. I want to see if sardines will reduce his allergies (food and atopic). The less he itches the less he bothers his lick granulomas. BTW/FWIW, I recently started putting the Walgreen's version of "Gold Bond Medicated Powder" on his granulomas. He doesn't lick it off, like with all the creams, ointments, gels and sprays I had tried.

·
Registered
16,117 Posts
I was promoting sardines for reducing the effects of enviormental allergies, mainly the itching. Someone else posted it reduced eye goop which can be the result of either type of allergies. Sardines improve the health of the skin making it more resistant to the effects of pollens and other substances your dog might have a reaction to. However, I dont believe sardines will help with either food allergies or intolerances. I just stated this on Enzos Swollen Ears thread in puppy section. Since you are testing sardines for food allergies, please let us all know the results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.