Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got home with my puppy after picking him up from the vet where he got his ears done. His ears look good, not bleeding much and they are posted with a bit of styrofoam and he has an E-collar on. The vet told me to leave him in a dark and quiet place so he could rest. So I did but he just screamed and barked and cried and howled like he was being tortured. Finally I let him out and gave him a little food and his pain medication like the vet told me and I put him back in his crate thinking a full tummy and the medication would let him rest. He just started screaming again, nonstop. My mom got me to let him out in the living room because she thought he would be happier. I gave him a porkhide to chew on but he can't hold it with his feet because of the E-collar. So he's simultaneously struggling to chew and crying nonstop still. He's obviously not happy and it's killing me. Is there anything I can do for him?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mine just came home today as well. No collar. We have been keeping her busy with bones. She shakes her head a bit, and has tried to scratch a few times, but a stern "leave it" fixes that, and she is back to playing with her friend (our 2yr old Yorkie), or chewing her bone. Trust him for a few minutes and try taking the collar off. Best of luck! Sounds like we are on this journey together!

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
Take the cone off, and supervise the little dude! I'm sure you can do well to actively distract him, and as a bonus, he'll probably fall asleep in your lap all adorably.

"No scratch" is one of the first things Elka learned, and she was cropped when we got her in '09. It took her 'til this year to confidently be able to scratch her ears without trying to "sneak" it pas us, poor girl!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I gave him a long pork hide he can reach much better. But he's still whining while he chews on it. He's very vocal, always grunting and groaning. He does seem much better though!

·
Banned
7,405 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,608 Posts
Your puppy looks really old to have just gotten his ears cropped, but anyways, he's probably just bored and wondering why you are leaving him in his crate instead of playing with him. I agree to take off the cone but watch him so that he doesn't scratch. Things should be much better today... you can play tug with him or do some fun training sessions with lots of treats.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Maybe my math is off, but your dog is 13/14 weeks old =(

She should have had that crop done weeks ago, her ear leather is already much thicker than a younger pup's would have been. Of course she is in pain poor thing!

I would definitely be doing everything you can to keep her distracted from her ears.

I've seen that style posting done on smaller breed dogs w/ Dr. Scholl's molefoam inserts cut into that shape & bonded w/ skin glue to the ear. Not sure how well it would hold up w/ dober-pup play though

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Maybe my math is off, but your dog is 13/14 weeks old =(

She should have had that crop done weeks ago, her ear leather is already much thicker than a younger pup's would have been. Of course she is in pain poor thing!

I would definitely be doing everything you can to keep her distracted from her ears.

I've seen that style posting done on smaller breed dogs w/ Dr. Scholl's molefoam inserts cut into that shape & bonded w/ skin glue to the ear. Not sure how well it would hold up w/ dober-pup play though
Yes he is 13 and a half weeks :[ The vet said as long as it's sooner than 15 weeks it should be okay. I have usually heard 7-12 weeks is the best time but she showed me pictures of ones she did and they looked good. She seemed very knowledgeable about the shape and matching the ears to his head shape and estimating how big he was gonna get too. Will it take longer to stand than if they were done earlier?

He is doing much better today. He's napping right now and I stayed home to keep an eye on him and keep him entertained. He seems happier when the collar is off for sure but he is getting more used to it.

I am so glad I found this forum! It has helped me so much :] Thank you everyone.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Glad to hear today went better for him.

I believe as far as that goes it was done in "time" for them to stand.

My previous post was in regards to the procedure being done on ears that thick is wrong. I'm sure you didn't know that, and I am in no way trying to make you feel bad. Your breeder should have taken care of the cropping for you, before you picked up your puppy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts