Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
Hopefully, IDR has already contacted them. Many rescues check websites like that on a regular basis.

People are so ignorent about what can happen to a "free to good home" dog. The horrors awaiting them are legion.............. a training dog for pit bulls, medical research............ sad.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Damn, it looks to me like the idiots have him tied up with a prong collar. Who on the list can contact the local rescue?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just emailed "Dave" and sugested that it might be best to try and locate a rescue in his area or close to his area. Was that too forward? I just don't want anything to happen to the dog.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
I just emailed the president of IDR and told her about him and gave the site url. Hopefully we can get him but I don't know the whole procedure and if he'll even him to rescue. I will let you guys know what I hear from her as she will probably contact him if we can get him.

Again Thanks so much for posting!!!

·
Mighty One
1,734 Posts
Poor guy. Hopefully rescue will step in soon.

·
Premium Member
9,664 Posts
I'm so happy I have tears in my eyes. I felt sick after seeing that ad. I could only imagine some pit bull ring getting a hold of him and using him to train dogs. So happy he will get a good, loving home.

Carol
ox

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
Thats great news! I looked at his picture and it was all I could do not to email the guy and blast him! But....didn't want to get him angry BEFORE the dog got out of there! Too many horror stories about "free dogs".

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Thats great news! I looked at his picture and it was all I could do not to email the guy and blast him! But....didn't want to get him angry BEFORE the dog got out of there! Too many horror stories about "free dogs".
Me too! Thank god, for rescue.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
I am sure this isn't the place to start this one but I have always gotten my dogs either from free ads or shelters! Just until recently have I seen people (meaning average Joe's) asking "adoption fees" which really bugs me in the sense that asking a fee won't screen out the bad people! What people need to learn is how to screen a home or seek help from a rescue.

People are finding it offensive that shelters and rescues are getting almost to the point where it's easier and cheaper to go to a BYB. I have seen it a few times now.

The people getting an adoption fee for their beloved pet that they just can't keep, well heck, that's a sale, that's not an adoption, the money goes into their pocket, there is no contract, no screening and no responsibility on either party so really free or a fee means the same to me.

I am looking at my "free" dog who's now 17 and has been loved since the day I put him in my car and watched his old owner cry as I drove off.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
hmmm, I get what your saying MIA but I don't think it is a good approach. A rescue is the best way to go and fortunately this owner was responsible enough to go that way.

I got this link off IDR's wesite.

The tradgedy of "Free to Good Home"

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
I have been doing rescue for many years and know the difference between giving a dog to the first person who walks in the door and screening a home, anyone can do both, rescue included! I know rescues that give dogs to the first person with cash, so just because they call themselves rescue doesn't make them any better.

My comment was NOT directed at this situation at all, just that is sparked me to comment.

The last dog I got free to a good home DID screen me just as a reputable rescue did, the only thing he didn't do was visit my home which I appreciated as he was a stranger, but he did check references, spent time getting to know me, watched me with the dog and took the time to see if it was right. He also had the option to visit and keep in touch but felt it was too hard, now this was all before I became involved in rescue! There are still good people on this earth that aren't evil and are going to pick up free dogs to do bad things. The general public has a right to rehome their own animals, I know I would IF I had too (not bloody likely) but instead of berating people we should be giving them the tools and directing them to rescues, but some rescues don't even do owner turn ins, I rarely do.

Asking a fee only isn't going to ensure the safety of an animal, we know that as people buy animals all the time and treat them badly (My fav to date was the guy who bought a $1200 dog and dumped it at the SPCA the next day cause it peed too much)! So the whole free to a good home means little to me as my animals and many of my friends animals have come to us that way. Personally, I won't pay an individual who's dumping their dog because that's a sale and I rather support a shelter/rescue. IF they wanted to see a receipt that I donated money to the shelter/rescue instead of payment FINE but that's as far as I would go in dealing with an individual and "adopting" their dog.

People need to be careful who they give their pets to that's the bottom line, whether they are a rescue or individual, they need the tools to know how to do that and be able to do it if they choose to. I just assisted a co-worker rehome her dog and she WANTED to meet the person who adopted the dog as she cared where this dog went, she did the reference checks, home visit on her own, I just taught her what I do.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
The problem is for the good of the breed, all homes for dobes need to be screened. We don't live in a perfect world and I'm sure that some rescues let things fall through the cracks as do many of the byb. But with the insurance issues and breed bans we all have to do what we can so that our breed's not in the news in some ugly way.

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
seems like the ad is deleted now I didnt get a chance to read it. Im glad IDR is taking him in! I agree it is too risky for any dog to be given away even for a price. Some people are more responsible than others...but you never know for sure. So its best the rescue gets them in the right hands.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts