Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are on Taste of the wild right now. Hoping to switch to Acana in 15 days. I'm freaking out. I'm just nervous about how it will sit with her, now being elderly, over 12 years old. Hoping its not to "rich" for her, because I'M NOT rich.. Would be a drag to have to throw out 28 pounds of Acana and have to grab 30 pounds of TOTW again, all in one month. :/
She approved of Orijen years back, i used it in place of her raw diet back then, when traveling.
She seems to look better with more protein, but again, age worries me. Maybe i'm just a "worry a lot" kinda guy..
Wild Prairie | Acana

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just do a slow switch over 7-10 days. Dogs young and old need a good high protein food with a lower glycemic level.
Wow 12yrs is great!
Thanks! She is actually going on 14 next July 1st!

I actually have noticed sometimes switching slowly causes more trouble than going "cold turkey".
Anybody else have a dog like this?

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Where are you getting acana? Petvalu has a policy that allows you to return bags of food (no matter how full or empty) and you get a full refund. No receipt needed.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Thanks! She is actually going on 14 next July 1st!

I actually have noticed sometimes switching slowly causes more trouble than going "cold turkey".
Anybody else have a dog like this?

Cold turkey is not recommended when switching kibbles, but it is when switching from kibble to raw.

ETA: You still haven't answered the questions on why you are switching and why you aren't feeding raw anymore?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cold turkey is not recommended when switching kibbles, but it is when switching from kibble to raw.
"Not recommended"
.. Didn't say i recommend it.. Just said, MY dog does better switching cold turkey. Then i asked if anybody else have any dogs that are the same as my dog. you know, curiosity...
Never did i recommend switching cold turkey..

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
409 Posts
"Not recommended"
.. Didn't say i recommend it.. Just said, MY dog does better switching cold turkey. Then i asked if anybody else have any dogs that are the same as my dog. you know, curiosity...
Never did i recommend switching cold turkey..
I apologize, I thought I was just answering a question. Since I've never heard anyone mention switching cold turkey to a different kibble, I figured I would mention the difference between switching to kibble vs. switching to raw.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

ETA: You still haven't answered the questions on why you are switching and why you aren't feeding raw anymore?
"You still haven't answered the questions on why you are switching and why you aren't feeding raw anymore?"
You have to give me time to type, i have a kong toy being thrown at my laptop, while keeping an eye on food in the oven, and cleaning my house, a guest will be here shorty.

·
joie de vivre
11,304 Posts
I wouldn't switch her if she eats TOTW just fine and does well on it.

·
Registered
409 Posts
"You still haven't answered the questions on why you are switching and why you aren't feeding raw anymore?"
You have to give me time to type, i have a kong toy being thrown at my laptop, while keeping an eye on food in the oven, and cleaning my house, a guest will be here shorty.
LOL There's really no need to pick apart my posts - in fact, if you hadn't noticed, I edited that post right about the time that you posted the reply. I'm sorry for drinking too much coffee today? I'm just trying to help. Dang.

·
Guardian
1,384 Posts
OP, you asked a question and to better help you to find your answer, we as forum members and friends need to understand what exactly is going on to do so.

If living situations make it difficult to feed raw (which I can relate and feel raw really is the way to go) and she is doing fine on TOTW, why switch?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I apologize, I thought I was just answering a question. Since I've never heard anyone mention switching cold turkey to a different kibble, I figured I would mention the difference between switching to kibble vs. switching to raw.
Yes, i know, my bitch is very strange with her eating "issues." I have never heard of any other dog that actually does better "cold turkey". Just my girl it seems, this is why i asked if anybody else's dog does better switching foods "cold turkey." No need to apologize.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LOL There's really no need to pick apart my posts - in fact, if you hadn't noticed, I edited that post right about the time that you posted the reply. I'm sorry for drinking too much coffee today? I'm just trying to help. Dang.
"There's really no need to pick apart my posts"
What does this mean?
A realize you are trying to help. Have i said anything offensive? If i have, that was not my intentions. I am speaking with you as i would any other.
Lucky you can have coffee. I am on a low caffeine diet. I miss coffee dearly..

·
Registered
409 Posts
Yes, i know, my bitch is very strange with her eating "issues." I have never heard of any other dog that actually does better "cold turkey". Just my girl it seems, this is why i asked if anybody else's dog does better switching foods "cold turkey." No need to apologize.
All I have to offer as a possible answer is that I remember growing up, my parents never gradually switched with our dogs up until I was about 12/13 and started researching dog food for myself :roflmao: From what I remember, they did fine. I have no recent experience though, as Jackson was fed Orijen from the day I got him until I switched to raw. And I actually switched to raw gradually kind of too! LOL I fed Stella and Chewy's, then graduated to adding turkey necks, chicken leg quarters, etc to that, then went full prey model.

ETA:
"There's really no need to pick apart my posts"
What does this mean?
A realize you are trying to help. Have i said anything offensive? If i have, that was not my intentions. I am speaking with you as i would any other.
Lucky you can have coffee. I am on a low caffeine diet. I miss coffee dearly..
I just thought it was kind of funny that you kept quoting every one of my posts and questioning things in them, it seemed like you were annoyed with what I had to say. Your typing style was different, etc - I think I read too far into things. Haha
I love my coffee a bit too much. I'm trying to get back on a normal sleep schedule, but I don't think my extreme caffeine intake is helping. LOL

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wouldn't switch her if she eats TOTW just fine and does well on it.
I truly do believe she would do better on Acana.
She did great on Orjien back then. She had less seizures, and her arthritis "flare ups" where less often, and less intense.
She lived through "iams dog food." also. But why wouldn't we want to feed better quality, reliable foods if we can?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts