Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My red Dobe had problems with flaky skin and minor bumps on his back. My vet :nicejob:recommended Acana Pacifica and my dog, Kingston, has been on it for over a year. While it is a bit expensive (about $65 for 30 lbs) it is well worth it! He eats less because there is more nutritional value ... So I give him 2 1/2 cups twice a day. This bag will last me 5-6 weeks. I've also added Vitacoat to his diet the last couple months and I've had zero problems with flaky skin and bumps. The food has also helped diminish the frequency of his bowels movements.

I've talked with owners of other red dobes who have had the same skin problems, I don't know if this is exclusive to them or what .... But I've found a solution that worked for us. Thought I'd share.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Awesome ;) glad to hear you found something that works. Since you have your dog food for that Long I would suggest you buy something that locks out air so that the food stays as fresh as possible. Over time of the bag being open the nutrients slowly diminishes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! That's good advice. The bag comes vacuum sealed and I've kept it in a big Tupperware container. I'm open to any ideas for storage that would work better. I also thought I'd mention that Acana has a thing where your save your labels and get your 13th bag absolutely free. Not even a refund, just free. That helps with costs =)

·
Registered
12,009 Posts
Great stuff JLandsiedel - Kingston will be forever grateful.
- many dober concerns, can be linked to improper diet / and when one gets it right, it works so well
"You get what you pay for", often holds true !!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts