Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Caloosa Farms
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found a show prospect girl in alabama, on puppyfind... but not sure, the health guarantee is so so. Parents are health tested. Can anyone help me with this pup, don't want to make a mistake. Pup is from apache kennels outside of birmingham alabama, mom is pointed, dad has not been shown but will be.
email me at [email protected] if need be, I can post pics they sent me.
Mary

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Is this the dog?

Either way, I'm not sure I can think of any reputable breeders who use sites like that to sell their puppies and if I was looking for a show prospect I'd want a dog out of parents that were already proven.

Edit: I searched for a webpage for the breeder and Google gave me the DPCA Z-List page with a few dogs whose registered names start with "Apache's." This doesn't mean that the pup your looking at comes from z-factored lines or a breeder who breeds them but it's something to look into.

·
Vicious Bitch.
3,079 Posts
I would pass.

There is Pamelot is GA. I know she some times has older pups if no puppies now. If I'm not mistaken, Pam is a judge? She's very quick with emails, I've also heard. I know there are many pamelot owners here on the forum. She has successful dogs, and they're stunning.

·
Caloosa Farms
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is this the dog?

Either way, I'm not sure I can think of any reputable breeders who use sites like that to sell their puppies and if I was looking for a show prospect I'd want a dog out of parents that were already proven.

Edit: I searched for a webpage for the breeder and Google gave me the DPCA Z-List page with a few dogs whose registered names start with "Apache's." This doesn't mean that the pup your looking at comes from z-factored lines or a breeder who breeds them but it's something to look into.
yes this is the puppy

·
Caloosa Farms
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you so much

thanks to everyone for replying, I am trying so hard not to have a trigger finger with getting a new pup. I should know better, but there is such a void in our life right now. Could someone explain the z-factor? I know to stay away from albino breeders and diluted litters. also I am not looking for a (got to win at any cost pup) I just want to have fun showing here and there, or close to me show. This dog will be a family member first anyways. Again thank you all. Mary

·
sufferin succotash
9,168 Posts
DPCA | The Doberman | Albino | What is albino

thanks to everyone for replying, I am trying so hard not to have a trigger finger with getting a new pup. I should know better, but there is such a void in our life right now. Could someone explain the z-factor? I know to stay away from albino breeders and diluted litters. also I am not looking for a (got to win at any cost pup) I just want to have fun showing here and there, or close to me show. This dog will be a family member first anyways. Again thank you all. Mary

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
Sinister said:
There is Pamelot is GA. I know she some times has older pups if no puppies now. If I'm not mistaken, Pam is a judge? She's very quick with emails, I've also heard. I know there are many pamelot owners here on the forum. She has successful dogs, and they're stunning.
I would own a Pamelot dog in a heartbeat. Gorgeous pups and I've heard such good things about the dogs and Pam herself.

Nothing wrong with breeding dilutes as long as the dogs are fully tested, titled, and the breeder is breeding with the idea of bettering the breed. There are a few reputable breeders that have dilutes (Kettle Cove comes to mind).

Are you looking to breed the future doberman or just a companion and the occasional show?

·
Caloosa Farms
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would own a Pamelot dog in a heartbeat. Gorgeous pups and I've heard such good things about the dogs and Pam herself.

Nothing wrong with breeding dilutes as long as the dogs are fully tested, titled, and the breeder is breeding with the idea of bettering the breed. There are a few reputable breeders that have dilutes (Kettle Cove comes to mind).

Are you looking to breed the future doberman or just a companion and the occasional show?
I am not sure about breeding, I have never bred a large dog litter before. And at the age of 50, not sure I could handle it. I have a few dobie breeders on my facebook that had just placed puppies. and they seemed ready for the nut house after they were gone. I know its a ton of work. I have a current show papillon litter, and even that is alot of work. It would take a good relationship with another breeder being the mentor to get involved in that. I knew after owning a ridgeback there was no way I wanted to breed a litter of those. LOL Mary

·
Luv-The-Nub
1,058 Posts
a few (kind-of SW) FL breeders to recommend: Brykris, Carosel, Velo

·
Holier Than Now
22,475 Posts
I am not sure about breeding, I have never bred a large dog litter before. And at the age of 50, not sure I could handle it. I have a few dobie breeders on my facebook that had just placed puppies. and they seemed ready for the nut house after they were gone. I know its a ton of work. I have a current show papillon litter, and even that is alot of work. It would take a good relationship with another breeder being the mentor to get involved in that. I knew after owning a ridgeback there was no way I wanted to breed a litter of those. LOL Mary
Hey, welcome to DT.

Have you been out and about enough, to judging on Dobermans, to know what you really like in the breed? What you don't care for as much? What your deal-breakers are?

Personally, I'm not super impressed with the conformation on either of the parents of this for-sale-girl.

And, I can't help but wonder why the rush to produce pups, prior to really testing the merit of either parent? Why not wait to see if they can hold their own against what's out there, and really stack up as breeding-worthy?

If they are doing all required health testing, that's great, but I'd get someone real knowledgeable to look over the other ancestors in that pedigree with you, focusing on health.

I can't read the pedigree on my monitor, sorry, but if you are at all still interested, do get a legible copy and some other opinions.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
If you are truly looking for a show prospect, then you should consider buying from a breeder with proven puppies. You will want a breeder who knows whether or not the pup s/he is selling is likely to finish and will help you throughout the show life. Unless you plan to learn to handle yourself, you will want a good handler and a good breeder. Not sure what you are paying for this puppy and I don't need to know but you might at least speak with other show breeders who are expecting a litter or who have a litter on the ground and compare pricing along with show history. My breeder is in Ocala and I love her to death. We talk a lot whether I'm showing one of her dogs or there's a problem with one of the dogs. Not sure if they are spoken for or not but I know she has a new litter, all red, six females and one male. Jo Ann has wonderful animals. She breeds show prospects for herself first, keeps her picks and places the rest.

Be prepared, it's expensive to finish a puppy. Loads of fun but expensive.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts