Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you look for in a foster? Age, sex, size, breed?

Rowan is an intact male so it can become tricky trying to take dogs in without creating a lot of work! I think a young but spayed female would be the best match, but it doesn't always work out that way. Do you have specifics on what you will/will not take?

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
Out of preference I prefer older Dobers (seniors) and either sex, but my boy is easy (doesn't have any aggression issues) so I am probably not the best person to ask I could take on any doberman. I don't really look for a specific Dobe, I tend to take on the "less adoptable ones" because I don't care if they get adopted quickly or not... I would love to see them get adopted quickly but, it doesn't bother me.

For most males, I would say female of any age (most will be spayed or within a couple weeks after you get them)

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's nice to have options, and you are such an angel for taking the seniors!! Rowan is really great with other dogs too, but since he is just over a year I know that could still change so I have to be cautious.

I tend to take the younger ones so they can keep up with Rowan and hopefully get adopted quick--as much as I hate to admit it. But SO is already weary of fostering and only does it for me...because he gets too attached. So I figure if I can get them in and out he won't be as mad! :/ Usually the fosters are these poor sweet lovebugs who just take the abuse from doofus Rowan ;)

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lil off topic, but case in point:

Sitting outside the crate, crying "Let him out, I want to plaaaay!!"

This morning, pulling all the blankets out of the crate!

This evening, foster is laying in his crate eating a bone and Rowan pulls all the bedding out(door was open this time)

Goes in with him and is stand-sitting on the poor boy!

Of course I yanked jerk face out of there right after I took the pic :) All the while "Breck" the foster dog just happily chewed on his bone.

·
Like a Ninja
3,916 Posts
LOL silly boy!

In total I've had 3 female fosters and 3 male fosters, 4 Dobes and 2 other breeds. Never had an issue with any of them. I mean all had their issues, but not anything I wasn't willing to work with. A lot of the issues I have seen have been resource guarding issues.

·
Premium Member
5,377 Posts
I tend to take who I think will get along with my group it can be tricky because of the chi's and also my daughter (8) and her friends. Pete and Bear really have no issues with any dogs of either size or sex although neither like to be jumped on by puppies. I have more trouble with Frostbite and now Myszka who are less tolerant of other dogs and even each other.
When Pete came back I did move Beau to another foster home more for space issues than the fact they were both males since they got along fine.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL silly boy!

In total I've had 3 female fosters and 3 male fosters, 4 Dobes and 2 other breeds. Never had an issue with any of them. I mean all had their issues, but not anything I wasn't willing to work with. A lot of the issues I have seen have been resource guarding issues.
Yeah, I think that's prob common, especially given some of their backgrounds :/ We had one with guarding issues, but not too severe. We have only had 3 fosters so far, all have been males, but 2 were puppies and all other breeds. The one we have now I turned down initially, but agreed on a short term basis as a favor for a friend. He turned out to be awesome though, of course!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tend to take who I think will get along with my group it can be tricky because of the chi's and also my daughter (8) and her friends. Pete and Bear really have no issues with any dogs of either size or sex although neither like to be jumped on by puppies. I have more trouble with Frostbite and now Myszka who are less tolerant of other dogs and even each other.
When Pete came back I did move Beau to another foster home more for space issues than the fact they were both males since they got along fine.
That makes a lot of sense, I think that can make fostering tricky because each situation is different. Rowan does very well with male dogs so far, but he's still young so I wonder if that will change. I hope not, but of course I am still careful because I'm paranoid and would never want anything to happen!

I guess I should be glad I only have one dog to try to find a good match with! Bless your heart!

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
I will only foster dogs that are dog-friendly and do not have separation anxiety. Prime has done awesome with the fosters he has lived with, he is a very good boy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts