Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

former owner wants to “borrow” dobergirl for breeding

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  PM2244 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I’ve had my dobergirl Ava for about six months now. She’s wonderful! She came from an acquaintance who contacted me out of the blue one day asking if I’d be interested in taking one of her female dobe pups because she couldn’t afford to care for them all anymore. I respect that. She contacted me because everyone I know knows that I love dobermans and have always wanted one (been saving up). So naturally I went to meet her and fell in love. Sad thing is I know next to nothing about her or her parents/siblings. I only saw her mother (was told she was “always pregnant”) and dober sis (way too skinny) tied up in the back yard through the window. I guess the mother had been getting aggressive with her pups as well. All I know is that the owner’s sons had been getting Ava “stoned” by blowing marijuana smoke into her ears on a daily basis.
She hates ANY kind of smoke (even cooking) and I don’t blame her one bit for this!
Every couple of weeks I would text the former owner a pic of Ava and let her know how good she’s doing. Never got one response. Here’s the kicker:
She calls me months later asking if she can “borrow” Ava during a heat cycle to breed a litter of puppies with some new doberboy she got since then. She wanted it all done “under the table” of course and offered me half the litter and some of the money. I played along for a minute to get some information out of her. First I asked how Ava’s mom and sis are doing, she said her mom passed and her sis got rehomed shortly after I adopted Ava. None of these dobes have any papers or health testing. I suspect that she’s been an on and off BYB for awhile now from what she was saying.
Answer was a hard NO of course! Never gonna happen. Leave the breeding up to the professionals. How could she think I’d agree after to this after knowing what I know about her living conditions and lies?! Naturally she was upset about it and hung up on me.
Ava’s 12 months now and has/is overcoming a few bad/fearful habits thanks to the wonderful advice from members here on DT! Thank God her health is good too.
This can’t be legal, right? I just hate seeing these beautiful sweethearts being used by grifters! What would you have done? Should I have done something different?
Thank you for your time.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.