Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

For those with multiple dogs what's it like...

2K views 32 replies 22 participants last post by  akturbo 
#1 ·
...in the morning when they first go out. Do you make them calmly sit and wait while one at a time goes out. Are they quiet and semi-orderly?

Not mine. It's like the California Gold Rush or Black Friday at Wal-Mart each time they go outside but especially in the morning. Even though I make them sit quietly (so so) and wait their turn, the race is on at the door and the last female (Joe could care less) in line is screaming and squealing to the top of her lungs. I wish I could record it.

How do you handle them going out at the same time. Mine have about torn up each door way.

KC/Linda

#2 ·
it is pretty much gold rush/black friday at my house, but they always go out the back slider and the floor is tile.... so no damage. They don't scratch at the door. I did recently spend $3000 to replace my original builder sliding door, but I won't blame it all on the dogs - LOL!

Right now I am down the only 2 dogs.... feels weird and way too quiet - Velma was the loudest screamer when the rush for the door was on.

#13 ·
I know how you must feel. My three are too much work but goodness which one could I let go.

Plus, I have never owned a chewer like Taylor. God, it's the sheetrock and wood trim. No matter what I give her to chew she wants the expensive-to-repair stuff. I swear I saw her walk up to the stucco and open her mouth to take on a corner.

Velma was a beaut. I know you miss her.

Reactions: Sherryh
#3 ·
I let mine out individually first thing in the morning. If I let them out together, Fiona is too wild and tries to tackle Tali while she pees. Tali deserves to relieve herself and wake up a little before dealing with that, so I let Tali out first, and when she's done I let Fiona out. And when Fiona is done they're welcome to bounce around the yard to their hearts' content. :)

Even though we have a system that's been in place for about 1-1/2 years now, it's still a mad dash to the back door in the morning trying to nose each other out of place. The only talking that happens is if Tali is particularly cranky some morning and then she'll bitch Fiona out at the backdoor pretty good for bumping her and being obnoxious.

#4 ·
My 2 will sit at the back door, relatively quiet, until I walk over. Then the rush is on, I make them sit and wait til I open the door but as soon as they are out its game on! They forget they had to go potty, and start their antics, eventually remembering their business then going right back to their games. I dont have much grass left back there and they have pretty much torn up about half the bushes.

#5 ·
Mine don't really want to go out. They would rather eat breakfast first so mornings aren't a problem, in fact sometimes I have to force Eli and Pip the doxie to go out. When we get home from work the littles rush to the slider but the big dogs have a dog door so it's not a problem. My problem is them wanting to come back in, that's when we can have a rush. I can't tell you how much I love my dog door. Eli will stand up and put his paws on the slider if he wants in and the dog door is closed. I haven't really trained him not to, I'm still at the yell and motion "OFF" stage. LOL LOL. However the dog door keeps that from happening often.

#6 ·
My dogs have to sit and wait for the release word every time they go out a door, no exceptions. So they run to the door, wait, and then dash out together once I say "okay."

#7 ·
In my household it is like the Harrods Sale just as they open the doors and everyone in the queue wants the same thing, biting, screaming, pawing, barging, spittle flying and fur following close behind.

Oh don't get me wrong, they can and do sit and wait patiently at the door, I open it and bham all thoughts of being good little doggies goes out of their heads and my 2 Terriers are gone.

Of course, Toby who is being kept seperate from the terriers (on account of the aggression the larger one engenders from him) screams as if he is being burnt alive or the like and I then have to convince the Terriers to come in or to go into the back part of the yard whilst I let him out.

It is absolute Bedlam.

#8 · (Edited)
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........

Stormy must always be the first one out the door...........always. :)

Pearl waits her turn.

Magic yells at me to open his door and let him out. Then he yells at me to let him back in.

years ago when i had lots of dogs i had to fight my way through the pack to get to the door to let them out.....then off they would run, barking and running around like crazy, then pee and poo. :)

as long as my dogs come when called, stay when told.......i do not ask much more of them.

i figure life is way to short to make them wait patiently for me to let them out each and every time. :)

#9 ·
We access the backyard through our garage man door. So, the 7 dogs have to come up one flight of stairs to a landing, go out that door to the garage and then wait for me to open the man door in the garage. They swirl about the garage while I'm getting there, but they're not usually too crazy at the actual door. Once the door is open, away they go usually all in one line until they separate out to do their business and then they romp a bit.

Oddly enough, the bedlam happens more often coming back into the house. I have to make sure I physically semi-block the doorway in to the landing so that one goes down the stairs at a time. *That* seems to the spot where one is more likely to get hurt in a rush of dogs so I try to avoid that. Once they get back down to the family room, there is generally a big burst of excitement and some barking.

#17 ·
You have got to do a video. My hat is off to you if you can get 7 in and out without at least you having a broken leg or one of them falling down the stairs. I'm impressed really. Here I was complaining about three.

#11 ·
They all have to sit and wait before I open the door. After that as long as no one knocks another one over or me, I'm ok. Typically 2 of mine try to fly through the dog door at once.

#16 ·
But how do you keep them from knocking each other over. That's the thing. The gnashing of teeth, jumping on each other's back, screaming like a banshee, I haven't found a way to control it yet unless I put them in a crate and let them out one at a time.

#12 ·
Stig has to push his way first, but he is the youngest so the adults have better bladder control at this point.

Stig always goes psycho, so I give a quick 'settle down' and he will sit.

Once outside, he too will try to play with the other dogs, sometimes even while he is still peeing, lol.

Our little girl is so submissive and a little scaredy cat, even if she has to drop a duece, she won't do it with him outside.

Our other two dogs, would be quite peaceful. They are of course older and established.

It's the little stinker that is on crack and meth all day.

#15 ·
Peeing on the go--been there and seen that a lot. You are hilarious--unless of course you are serious about meth and crack all day--oh, I know you are joking! That was funny.

#19 ·
I wondered how you did it with three large ones too. Whew. Now I feel almost normal. I swear sometimes when I let them out I'm thinking I hope no one from DT is watching!

#22 ·
This! If I block access to the dog door (like I did yesterday, when I spent the day doing supervised loo breaks to find out who was doing squishy poop), then every time is gold rush time. I could train them not to but with 8 trying their damndest to get through and with the dog door open 99% of the time, frankly I just can't be bothered :p

There is a measure of control if I need just one or two out at a time though (for training or 1-on-1 playtime), it takes a bit of doing (and a set order of dogs helps a lot) but it is doable.

#23 ·
Capri is a forge-aheader; Kip is a hang-backer. Going out works just fine.

Capri will claw down the sliding door when she wants to come back in, though, if I don't stop it, so she is on a strict sit-and-wait diet, while Kip spins in the background. We have it down to one gentle (almost) swipe at the door and then a quivery sit from Capri, but I can't seem to get rid of that last little pawing.

#24 ·
Lottie trots out the door calmly and comes back in calmly. Libby doesn't get up until around 10, so Lottie has been awake for 4-5 hours by the time Libby gets out of bed! Coming inside at night time is a bit of a gold rush though, they both try run through the sliding door before it has been opened enough. Not sure why being let in/out at night time is very exciting, but during the day it's a non-event.

#28 ·
My roommate is my wife. I call her that because ain't nothing going on but the rent. She has decided a divorce is in her best interests and I think it is too, which is why she has probably given up on my little Stig.

I say she hinders the training because she doesn't do any or help me at least maintain what I do.

Lol, I am not organized. I just ask the dogs to be calm to receive things and other than that, they can do what they want. I just correct things as I go.

#31 ·
And then you let them all together? I love your "...may be Seconds but are not irregular."

#33 ·
I like this thread because its easy for all of us to relate. All 3 of mine make a mad dash to the door. I have two doors to get outside so it kind of helps. My Dobermans are fine, they run to the door and wait without a sounds. My Amstaff, ha... He will sit there and turn in tiny circles to get past the first door, barking occasionally, its the random whining that annoys me; mainly the pitch of it. They will sit and wait if I tell them too, but for the most part I just open the door and let them all go out together.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.