Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...how do you keep them on??

I've given up on putting tags on Chase's collars, they always find a way to drop off. What rings do you use for your tags? It costs me money to constantly change his rabies tag, mainly because they have to print out a whole new sheet and find a different code to put by his name, plus the city license tag is $20 to replace, then there is the microchip tag, and personal information tag.

Right now, I have his AV code, license number, and rabies number memorized, just in case someone needed this information. But I would hate for someone to see him as a 'stray' if he were to ever get loose, and decide to 'adopt' him by not reporting him to the city :(

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
I use rings that I would use for a keychain. Anything else (And we just found this out with our bottle opener) eventually uncoils itself into a plain length of wire.

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts
I just use the split rings that come with the tags. The only time I've lost a tag is when either an "S" hook pulled open, or, one time with Gin, a cheap name tag actually wore through.

Reactions: DogsR4Life

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I use the rings that come with the tags. He only wears one though so I would notice pretty quickly if it comes off. If you are concerned though, how about getting a collar with the information attached to the tag itself? You can have it sewn on or attached with a metal plate.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use the rings that come with the tags. He only wears one though so I would notice pretty quickly if it comes off. If you are concerned though, how about getting a collar with the information attached to the tag itself? You can have it sewn on or attached with a metal plate.
Haha, yes I was thinking of doing this. He has so much information, it would use up the entire collar :)

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use rings that I would use for a keychain. Anything else (And we just found this out with our bottle opener) eventually uncoils itself into a plain length of wire.
Yes, this happens to every ring that comes with the tag with me. What key ring do you use? I tried finding one that will fit, but the holes on the tags are too small :(

·
sandy2233
2,474 Posts
I use the rings that come with the tags. Emily has quite a jingle as her rabies tag, microchip tag, name tag, a small bell and a "nite" lite is on her collar. I put the bell on so I can hear her, but sometimes she gets out of range, thus the nite lite that flashes when it's turned on. I don't have a "normal" back yard. There are two sections of pasture that are on the south side of my house (1280 acres) and sometimes she gets after a rabbit at nite and I can't tell where she's at. The flashing lite really helps. I notice on my grooming clients collars that the tag rings are pulling out and it usually is because they are hooking the leashes to the tag rings instead of the collar ring.

·
Got mutt?
13,839 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,030 Posts
I use the key rings you can also drill the hole bigger just go back where it is more towards the center just a tiny bit. You can also get Tag Bags made from neoprene material. See on Patches neck the purple bag that says Sit Stay

·
Registered
391 Posts
I've also had rings stretch out on me and tags fall off, I don't know how it happens but it's happened three times. I've actually started using elastic bands! I figured if they need to stretch for whatever reason then they can without snapping. I use two incase one does snap, so it's sill secure. He's had them on for a few months so they seem to be working so far. I thread the elasctic band through the tag a little, then put it through itself so the tag hangs from it. Then I thread the other end through the collar ring a little, stretch it and pull the tag up through the middle. It also stops the majority of that jingling noise :D

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
I use the thicker and "brighter" rings. I've found the ones that area a brighter silver color and have a wider piece of metal that's coiled work really well and are stiffer so don't uncoil.
Then I have one of those lanyard/rope climber hooks with the tag ring on it so I can swap her stuff back and forth between collars.

This is the lanyard thingy in a few different varieties(I got one slightly taller than her collar width)

And this is what I mean by a heavier thicker ring

Sorry they're so big

Here's mabels set up (grrr why can't I resize anything on photobucket today! It won't do it :/)

:)

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I use the ones that come with it. Diesels rabies one has like 3 things that go around. It drove me nuts trying to figure out how to get it on. I've never had a problem with them coming off on any dog I've had. My husky did have the s hooks too for some of his. I love the jingles then I know when he's coming. I take his collar off sometimes to give Him a break and I swear he sneaks up on me on purpose cause he knows I can't hear him haha

·
Paralibrarian
6,168 Posts
Yes, this happens to every ring that comes with the tag with me. What key ring do you use? I tried finding one that will fit, but the holes on the tags are too small :(
I'm not sure of brand or anything. We bought a bag of them at Wal Mart a few years ago, to use with LARP props, and just use two of those. Rabies and AKC CAR rescue on one, City license and Dog Tag (literally) with our info on the other.

·
Collar Connoisseur
908 Posts
Ive used the Rubit tag holders and on one of them the wire snap part broke, I guess it was defective.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
I don't know if this would be of any use to you but there is a company (sorry I cannot think of the name but I will try and find it out for you) that will put pertinent info on the actual collar itself. Maybe you could look into something like this for your dog.

Google Personalised Dog Collars and there are dozens of companies who offer this service and most seem to be in the US too.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts