Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright folks, my puppy had its first diarrhea after feeding her feta cheese and it was horrible (luckily not in the house).
Did your puppy ever experience diarrhea and if yes, with what kind of food?

·
u mad?
6,476 Posts
The first time I let my boy have some raw meat (it was traces of meat left on a femur bone) I let him have it too long and he had diarrhea the next day. Basically, if a food is completely new to a dog you need to introduce it to them slowly so that they can get used to it. There are some foods dogs should never eat such as grapes, raisins, chocolate, avocados, etc. I know there are more but I can't remember them off the top of my head.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Orijen and blueberries

I started my pup on Orijen and he had chronic diarrhea. Switched to innova puppy and he's all good. I think he may be allergic to barley.

Also, we took him blueberry picking a few months back and he ate a good number of blueberries. Diarrhea.

Now i feed him his food and all beef hot dogs as treats. He loves it and his stomach does too.

·
denormalized
5,824 Posts
There are some foods dogs should never eat such as grapes, raisins, chocolate, avocados, etc. I know there are more but I can't remember them off the top of my head.
My alternative vet had me feed Yoda 1/2 an avocado every day. I said "I thought they were not recommended for dogs" - he said "that's just the seed inside, they are an excellent source of vegetable based fat".

We saw no problems. I decided he was too fat so I eliminated the avocado after about a month. I remember a campaign in California during the '70's suggesting feeding your dog an avo every day. Big billboards with dogs and avocados on them.

For chocolate, the darker the worse it is for your dog and the white stuff has no chocolate in it at all so not a problem. Here is the Nat Geo chart on chocolate:

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2007/10/pets/chocolate-chart-interactive

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
884 Posts
Marrow from a femur bone. On the way to Colorado. It was so bad that we had to stop at a Petsmart to see a vet on the way out there.

Now I scoop almost all of the marrow out of the bone before giving it to Maiya. At first we thought it was the bully stick but she subsequently had bully sticks with no problems.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,316 Posts
You're not supposed to give dogs onions, garlic, raw yeast bread dough, macadamia nuts, peaches and nectarines (pits are poisonous, not the fruit's flesh).

I've heard that avocados are OK, yet there are a lot of places that say they are not. Anyway, good avocados are not available enough for me to feed them to a dog (even a family member dog :)); I keep them for me!

Don't use Tylenol (acetaminophen) or Motrin (ibuprofen). Aspirin is the safest to use (sparingly and rarely, and proper dose per weight) but can still cause problems. (Check with your vet before giving aspirin; I am not a vet.)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're not supposed to give dogs onions, garlic, raw yeast bread dough, macadamia nuts, peaches and nectarines (pits are poisonous, not the fruit's flesh).

I've heard that avocados are OK, yet there are a lot of places that say they are not. Anyway, good avocados are not available enough for me to feed them to a dog (even a family member dog :)); I keep them for me!

Don't use Tylenol (acetaminophen) or Motrin (ibuprofen). Aspirin is the safest to use (sparingly and rarely, and proper dose per weight) but can still cause problems. (Check with your vet before giving aspirin; I am not a vet.)
I know some doberman owners who suggested me to feed her a small piece of garlic cause it helps to avoid parasites. Why is garlic not good? Is it toxic?

·
Registered
990 Posts
I know some doberman owners who suggested me to feed her a small piece of garlic cause it helps to avoid parasites. Why is garlic not good? Is it toxic?
Maybe raw garlic?

I feed all of my dogs a dried garlic supplement for fleas and ticks everyday. I know some other people on DT do also, this is where I got the recommendation. "Bug off Garlic" from Springtimeinc.com

Reactions: Beaumont67

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe raw garlic?

I feed all of my dogs a dried garlic supplement for fleas and ticks everyday. I know some other people on DT do also, this is where I got the recommendation. "Bug off Garlic" from Springtimeinc.com
Yes, just one small segment of raw garlic. I also use citronela spray for kalazaar, not sure if garlic will keep her safe from that.

·
denormalized
5,824 Posts
When I got Enid, I gave her a garlic capsule (like the others got at the time). She came from a BYB... Anyway, within a short time, she went outside and the most disgusting poop I have ever seen. I scooped it up into bags because it was alive with huge roundworms. She was 4 mth old and I was her 3rd owner - "never been wormed" according to the vet when I showed him how many and how big they were.

I wormed her then with drontal and got maybe a few more, but nothing like what the garlic caused her to shed.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,316 Posts
Garlic?
Many vets claim that garlic contains the same damaging substance found in onions and can cause anemia.

Study quoted in Dogs.101:

"Perhaps most revealing is the study published in the American Journal of Veterinary Research in November 2000. Four dogs were given measured amounts of garlic and four dogs received none. After only seven days, blood tests on the dogs taking garlic revealed decreased levels in hemoglobin, hematocrit, and red blood cell values. Heinz body formation, an increase in erythrocyte-reduced glutathione concentration, and eccentrocytes were also detected, although none of the dogs developed hemolytic anemia.

Veterinarians conducting the study concluded that garlic has the potential to cause hemolytic anemia and that food containing garlic should not be given to dogs."

On the other hand, it is often stated that lots of folks have good reports to make about garlic. Apparently it depends on the quantity used.

·
Registered
11 Posts
dont give cow milk cause they lack the enzym needed to digest lactose. goat milk is ok or milk from pet shops. any kind of sweets are not good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts