Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
My pup is turning 6 months old and I'm looking to transition her from 3x a day to 2x a day eating schedule. She is like a clock right now, 1pm and starts kicking pantry door for her lunch. I'm not sure how she will take cutting out her lunch, any tips how to go about it? 4x to 3x transition was easy as she was leaving some food behind but right now she waits for her lunch and is gone in 60 seconds!
Thank you!

·
Big Lil pup
6,473 Posts
Hi Dobie1.

If the change actually bothers her, try moving the 2 feedings closer together and then slowly separate them back. However, chances are, after the first few times you skip lunch she will "reprogram" her clock quicker than you think.

John Lichtwardt
Portland OR

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
When I moved Beau (currently 9 months) to 2 meals each day several months ago, I just did it and he caught on quickly. @4x4bike ped has the right advice!

Also, when I transitioned him over I also started the “ditch the dish” protocol and began to use the bulk of his kibble for training treats throughout the day. He still gets 2 meals each day with additives like egg, sardines, olive oil, and cottage cheese.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Lokka (7 months) ended up on two meals by default recently. She had some nasty runs from too much grass, so very gross. So to help settle her system I skipped a meal and then gave her some rice mush with bit of cooked chicken for a couple meals. You should have seen her face!! 😝😝😝 Was so not impressed with the bland crap. I had to scoop it with my fingers for her, that's how much she didn't like it. She was so happy to get her raw back, she didn't even notice lunch was missing. 😉

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Ripley decided she was done with 3 meals at around 5 months of age. We kept offering up to 6 months but she just didn't want that midday meal. I didn't change morning or evening feedings.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ripley decided she was done with 3 meals at around 5 months of age. We kept offering up to 6 months but she just didn't want that midday meal. I didn't change morning or evening feedings.
My pup is different, I'm pretty sure she will eat more meals if I serve her :)
Started the transition, will cut the lunch meal from this weekend.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts