Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Doberman; 1 Pit Bull
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Dobe community :) my pup Anu hasn't been able to keep his food down lately. We have taken him to the vet on three different occasions for the same issue for them to tell us the same thing each time - that he's "just" dehydrated. They put an insulin bag in him, gave him prescribed Hills Science Diet I/D wet dog food, antibiotics and said he should get better; and he does. But a month or so later the same thing happens; he wont eat his food (currently: Hills Science Diet I/D) or drink any water. After reading some of the previous "Food Recommendation" posts it seems a lot of Dobe owners feed their babies PPP (Purina ProPlan) and they are doing well on that! I am hoping to gain more / better knowledge on how to make sure Anu feels 100% at all times with the help of the Doberman community- please help! #FirstTimeDobermanOwner

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
26,769 Posts
How old is he? Why do they say he needs antibiotics?

Oh, and welcome to DT from Colorado!

·
Super Moderator
22,193 Posts
Hmmm. Your puppy isn't drinking water on his own? That seems...concerning. I would probably pursue further diagnostics, perhaps with a veterinary specialty hospital. The response from the vet doesn't make sense to me. I'm not understanding why antibiotics are given (is there an identified infection?), and I also don't understand why there isn't concern about a puppy who is refusing to drink on its own, repeatedly.

This doesn't seem to be something, to me, that is an issue with disliking food, or having a problem with a particular brand of food....

·
Registered
1 Doberman; 1 Pit Bull
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How old is he? Why do they say he needs antibiotics?

Oh, and welcome to DT from Colorado!
He will be 2 years old in June - they said he needed antibiotics to help with his stomach - i guess taking them forced him to eat or be hungry.

&& thank you for the welcome :)

·
Registered
1 Doberman; 1 Pit Bull
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm. Your puppy isn't drinking water on his own? That seems...concerning. I would probably pursue further diagnostics, perhaps with a veterinary specialty hospital. The response from the vet doesn't make sense to me. I'm not understanding why antibiotics are given (is there an identified infection?), and I also don't understand why there isn't concern about a puppy who is refusing to drink on its own, repeatedly.

This doesn't seem to be something, to me, that is an issue with disliking food, or having a problem with a particular brand of food....
He has been drinking some water today esp. after being outside - but my concern is this issue repeatedly happens, even after taking to see a vet. I dont want to continue to take him somewhere and i sped hundreds of dollars for the same thing to happen again.

We are going to transition his food starting today to see if that helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts