Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Took all my dogs off TAStE OF THE WILD !!! all my bags were contaminated.. . Now what the Heck to Feed, ?
they loved there food... there coats are like velvet... everyone always compliments on there coats.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Sooo someone tell me if I'm reading this right. For the Kirkland, if the best before date is after January 31, 2013 then it should be ok? My current bag says best before March 14, 2013. So does that mean it's ok? They're sending this recall pretty late if that's the case...I bought this bag 3 weeks ago and it's 2/3 gone; I imagine anyone who bought the batch before this would have completely used it by now.

·
formerly eventermal
3,498 Posts
Perrin's breeder lost a dog to what they now suspect was contaminated food related to the recall. She feeds the Nature's Domain food from Costco. He was older (9 I think), but otherwise very healthy.

·
Super Moderator
22,021 Posts
Sooo someone tell me if I'm reading this right. For the Kirkland, if the best before date is after January 31, 2013 then it should be ok? My current bag says best before March 14, 2013. So does that mean it's ok? They're sending this recall pretty late if that's the case...I bought this bag 3 weeks ago and it's 2/3 gone; I imagine anyone who bought the batch before this would have completely used it by now.
I would also check the batch numbers just to be sure.

Perrin's breeder lost a dog to what they now suspect was contaminated food related to the recall. She feeds the Nature's Domain food from Costco. He was older (9 I think), but otherwise very healthy.
I'm so sorry to hear that. Simon is 9 and we're feeding Nature's Domain. I've decided, though, based on this recall, to switch the dogs back to Orijen. It's too scary for me.

·
U got some splain' to do
244 Posts
Well this is just great. I feed TOTW to my dogs, and in Feb. I lost my female min pin to what I thought was poison. The symptoms they mentioned are what she had, bloody diarrhea and lathargic, loss of appetite. She died 2 days after the symptoms started. Vet couldn't figure it out. Now I wonder. But why would she be the only one affected if this is true? Why not the others? Makes me wonder now. I'll have to check the bag at home for the recall info. I'm pretty sure I have one.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Well this sucks.

I feed Natural Balance due to corn allergy. And I feed the Venison and Potato 28#. I just finished the last bag this morning. #*!!%!!!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Sigh. This is so sad. I'm glad I switched the pup to raw a few months ago, I was feeding ToTW :(

I had to go replace my in-law's dog food though (I talked them into feeding better food..ToTW), and put them on instinct. Ingredient wise, it looks good.. as far as recalls, it looks safe, but this is all scary. Whats safe anymore, anyways?

·
Banned
7,471 Posts
Well this sucks.

I feed Natural Balance due to corn allergy. And I feed the Venison and Potato 28#. I just finished the last bag this morning. #*!!%!!!
Have you tried Acana or the LID formulas from Nature's Variety?

I used to feed NB to all my fosters and I was really bummed to hear of them using diamond facilities.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
O.M. Thank you for posting this. Sofia has always been on Kirkland Sig Healthy Weight and seems to thrive.. so of course I flew to the bag and examined it carefully..it is distributed in Seattle WA and the codes that were provided are different on the bag, so I am hoping we're in the clear. How scary for so many people.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Canidae has also been added to the list recently, although when I went to the Canidae website, they say it was a 'volunteer' recall. They give production numbers and "use before...."dates that are listed on the bags of dogfood, and also a map of the states where possibly contaminated products were distributed. I happened to be in the clear, numbers didnt match, and Indiana wasn't one of their shaded in states. I hear that humans can also get sick from handling the contaminated dog food.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I just called our local Pet Food Express where I buy TOTW and he told me that they get theirs from the West Coast distributors and that none of them come from the areas listed on the recall. Whew.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Diamond has added more lot numbers to TOTW since Sat.

Reactions: MeadowCat

·
U got some splain' to do
244 Posts
Whew!!!!! Just checked the numbers on the bag and no "2" "3" or "x" in the spot where it says it is. But hubby is on the phone right now checking to make sure. He's been on hold for a while. :/

·
Registered
41 Posts
I just called our local Pet Food Express where I buy TOTW and he told me that they get theirs from the West Coast distributors and that none of them come from the areas listed on the recall. Whew.
I hope these individual retailers are telling their customers the truth. Tractor Supply Company in Middle TN, where I buy TOTW for my canine kids, says they get theirs from the South Carolina Diamond plant which was unaffected by the recall, but this is the kind of recall where you take it with a grain of salt.

Think about it from an unethical retailer's perspective (usually I'd think a boutique seller would be more likely to be totally honest, on average): Salmonella is unlikely to harm the dogs, and with people, is most likely to just mimic a stomach or intestinal bug, give you the quick trots or upchucks, and basically be impossible to prove where you got it from, symptoms like that are so common. Did it come from food you ate, a virus, or salmonella? And if salmonella, did it come from the dog food, or could your dog have come in contact with it somewhere or somehow else?

If anyone wanted to try to prove anything, they'd have to save their poop or vomit for scientific analysis. :vomit-smiley:

All together now--EWW! Just hope we're being told the truth by our sellers.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
DoberVol, your Tractor Supply is lying or you misunderstood what they said. There is only one Diamond plant in South Carolina and all food from that plant is on recall.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts