Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone on this forum could give me any imput on these three brands of food. Wellness, Merrick,Solid Gold.
My daughters vet recommended these as quality foods. Canidae is up there also but I suspect T. is allergic to chicken. I know some of these may have chicken also but may give it a go. Not sure yet. Just wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with these brands. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
All three of those brands make a chicken free dog food, I think Solid gold's chicken free is "hund-n-flockin" or something like that, and I know Merrick's chicken free is the "wilderness blend" I am sure Wellness makes a chicken free too, but the name escapes me right now.

·
just a member
2,996 Posts
I would also recommend looking into Eagle Pack too. They have a variety of ones that don't have chicken. I used it in the past and found it pretty good for us.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I use Wellness chicken, I think the have a lamb based food. Check out Old Mother Hubbard I believe that is their website. I love Wellness and so do the girls.

·
Banned
6,743 Posts
Almost all of the Wellness foods have Chicken. Unless you go to the Single protein foods that have duck or venison. Solid Gold doesnt use Chicken in ANY of their foods. IMO that is the best choice. I have been really happy with all of the Solid Gold products. I have switched here and there to diffrerent brands for variety, but I think I will always go back to Solid Gold. Their products work really well for my dogs(Food, SeaMeal, Grooming Supplies, Treats) I have been REALLY happy with all of them.

I have never fed Merrick foods so I cant really tell you about them. I have bought a few bags of their treats though and they seem to be high quality.

·
Sea Hag
12,933 Posts
Canidae now makes a lamb and rice diet, no chicken in it.

I looked at the ingredients on a bag of Merrick kibble once, I wasn't too impressed, but I can't remember exactly why.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
I checked out the Solid Gold and Canidae when I was looking for a better quality food. Went with Canidae because the senior food was more what I was looking for and couldn't be happier with it.
I got pamphlets for both and the one thing about Solid Gold is that it causes increased stools. I see this complaint about it constantly, BUT, the pamplet says this is caused by the dog detoxifying. The stools with be back to normal in about three months.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
There is a good link that can help you make an informed decision when it comes to choosing a kibble:

www.thedogfoodproject.com

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thank you everyone for your imput.
My daughters` DVM/Holistic vet put out a list of best choices from all sources.
Her first choice for kibble from a dog speciality store was Merrick`s, than, Wellness or Solid Gold.She also liked Canidae.
She also had a list for Petco or Petsmart if you shopped there.
T. never cared for Canidae (no gusto eating) developed diahrrea. I think it was the chicken as she really flared up when I gave her some of ours. My other concern was Copper our Sr who lost weight on the sr version. With T coming to the house he is very active and that may have been a part of that. I still think this is an excellent food.
For 6 weeks they have both been on Nat. Bal. venison (allergy form). Weight back on Copper, no diahrrea for T. Having said that she is still leash bound and not able to be such a scavanger. The real test will be when she has access to the woods.
Vet still liked Merrick so I went to our dog specialty store and came home with the Wilderness Brand (1st 5 ingr. buffalo, oatmeal, barley, salmon meal, venison)(no artificial colors, preservitives or additives)
Owner said he would rank Merrick over the others. Price difference between this and Canidae about $7-$8 a bag. I have been adding salmon oil to their food, but he thought I might not have to with salmon being one of the ingred.
He also said not every food is for every dog. So we shall see how this turns out.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
alwayshadpets said:
I was wondering if anyone on this forum could give me any imput on these three brands of food. Wellness, Merrick,Solid Gold.
My daughters vet recommended these as quality foods. Canidae is up there also but I suspect T. is allergic to chicken. I know some of these may have chicken also but may give it a go. Not sure yet. Just wanted to see if anyone has had any experience with these brands. Thank you.
I have a Dobe who is allergic to all the different proteins found in Canidae. It is a good food, but not for those with gentle tummies. I tried it for 2-3 months, but the results were horrible, bad coat, bad stools, bad smell, etc.

Solid Gold, Wellness, and Merrick are really good foods.
I use Solid Gold Sea Meal for two of my animals. My cat eats Wellness and Chicken Soup and someetimes Merrick canned.

For the allergy Dobe, we switched to Eagle Pack Duck and Oatmeal and add fresh whole human supplements (yogurt, fresh eggs, cottage cheese, etc. weekly - no Sea Meal). This food has a made a big difference in this particular dog, but different foods work for different dogs, it is just a matter of finding what works out best for you dogs. California Natural seemed to work well too.
My other animals can and do eat whatever and are just fine, I feed them high quality kibble and a bit of canned foods with lots of add-in's.

Here is a dog food research tool that might help with your search, good luck!
http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=comp-wiz

·
Registered
8,069 Posts
I think any of those foods you mentioned are fine. Although Merrick would be on the bottom of that list. The second and third ingredients are oatmeal and barley. IMO the first 2-3 ingredients should be proteins like lamb meal, venison, salmon etc.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If your dog has allergies I heard Wellness Whitefish dry food is really good for them and their coat. I used to feed that to Sasha but her breath stunk like fish. But her coat was wonderful. She now eats Wellness Super 5 Chicken dry food.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Javas mom
Stools were loose and bouts of diarhea. (mainly on T) (C--the lab we battle lick granuloma) I have heard that chicken can be a cause of allergies in dogs so I eliminated it, to see what would happen. I put both T & C on Van Pattens venison allergy formula. It has no soy, dairy, no corn, no artificial preserv,flavors, colors etc. No diarhea after being on it for a period of time.. Some people might wonder why change if its working but I`m looking for another source to add to their diet plus still working on C,`s lick granulomas. I guess what I`m looking for is USDA quality meat 2 or 3 proteins listed in top 3 ingr,no hormone , no antibiodics,no hormones in meat supply, no corn, no preservites, no added colorings.
I think too many dogs (people too) die of cancer and I just feel it has to be something in our enviroment or our food supply. I lost 2 dogs to cancer and I am trying to increase my odds against it.
Kratty
You mentioned Eagle Pack and that looks real good. I read the post after I came back from the dog store with the Merricks. I am going to ask my daughter to ask her vet about that one. She goes Sat.
Solid Gold, a few people mentioned loose stools ,so I did not want to go that route--why press my luck.
Wellness I have heard makes a lot of claims that are exagerated. Owner of dog store told me that, and he carries the product.
This is the info I picked up. I still think not every food is for every dog, just trying to find the right ones for mine.

·
Premium Member
9,986 Posts
alwayshadpets said:
Thank you everyone for your imput.
My daughters` DVM/Holistic vet put out a list of best choices from all sources.
Her first choice for kibble from a dog speciality store was Merrick`s, than, Wellness or Solid Gold.She also liked Canidae.
That's very interesting that the vet is ranking the kibble as best. What I keep hearing from the owners who have tried Merrick products is rave reviews for the canned food but thumbs down for the kibble. The kibble is not well liked by many dogs evidently--this is hearsay since I've never used it but it comes up regularly in discussions about food.

Just a comment on some of the premium and super premium foods--not all dogs do well on them. There are a couple of highly rated brands that I've tried in the past (usually multiple times) that my dogs haven't done well on for a variety of reasons. Soft stools was a problem that I had with both Canadae and California Natural. My not at all picky Australian Shepherd acted as if I was trying to feed him poison when I very briefly tried out Solid Gold--he hated it. If they won't eat it it's not going to be a good food for that particular dog.

For the most part I feed a mid grade kibble on which all of my dogs do well and like.

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts