Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have become a fan of sweet potaotes. Have done everything from dehydrate them for dog treats, to mash them with chicken broth and veggies. The dogs love them. They will even eat a whole potaote as a TREAT. Since SWEET potoatoes are NOT in the pototoe family, WONDERINFG if anyone else has done this and what their recipes they might have to share? I recently purchased 45# for less than $6.00 during the holidays. ($.50 for 3# bag) I keep them in a very COOL room to preserve and have even frozen them after mashed. They do have some wondeful healthy attribues. I always add a lot of garlic to the broth.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
I have tried to dehydrate some sweet potatoes but forgot about them and burned them. LOL I personally might give small amounts as treats. I personally do not believe dogs need veggies. IMO their needs are different than humans. But dont get me wrong I do make homemade treats where some of the ingredients are whole wheat flour, peanut butter & pumpkin. So as I do give some veggies I wouldnt feed my dog a whole potato at once.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have not used this one yet. Found it while looking for Gluten Free treats. I have heard sweet potatoes make you/a dog gassy. Has anyone else heard that? I buy the King Aurthur Gluten Free flour and use it for the amount of flour and oats that are called for in the treat recipes.

Wheat Free Treats
Makes 45 dog treats

Ingredients:
1 organic medium sweet potato
½ cup organic peanut butter
½ cup cooking liquid from sweet potato
1 cup organic brown rice flour
1 cup organic oat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Peel the sweet potato and cut into ½ inch pieces. In a pan filled with 2 cups waters, boil the sweet potatoes until soft. *Reserve the cooking liquid and set aside.
In a large bowl mash the sweet potatoes. Then add ½ cup of the cooking liquid, and ½ cup peanut butter. Mix until well blended.
Next mix together the baking powder, brown rice flour, and oat flour in a small bowl. Then add to the sweet potato mixture, and mix until the dough comes together.
Lightly flour your work surface with either brown rice flour or the oat flour. Roll the dough out about ¼ inch thick. Cut into shapes with a cookie cutter, (hearts and stars are sweet). Place the treats on a cookie sheet- It’s ok to have the treats close together they won’t stick to each other.
Bake the treats for 20-30 minutes until golden brown or slightly hard. The treats will crisp as they cool.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
My dobes former owner is a vegan and Devon was raised on veggies..when I'm making a salad she is right there waiting for her plate of veggies..We love sweet potatoes with maple syrup..

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My dobes former owner is a vegan and Devon was raised on veggies..when I'm making a salad she is right there waiting for her plate of veggies..We love sweet potatoes with maple syrup..
I had some wonderful producing tomatoe plants last year. Toward the end of the year I picked tomatoes and let them sit on the ledge to ripen. I came home to not a single tomatoe and a very fat happy dog! But a confession was not forthcomimg..One of them even will try to score an onion! I have seen treats at the store with the ingredient of Sweet potaoes at outrageous gourmet prices, so I figure what the,,,I dehydrate by placing on a sheet of aluminum and the set the oven for 200...I have tried to microwave but it doesn't come out the same. During the fall it is sweet potaotes and during the summer apples! An apple a day keeps the vet away. And they love apples!

·
In training
1,263 Posts
I like to cut them up into sticks and make sweet potato fries. You just lightly coat with olive oil and put on some seasoning. I do garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper then bake at 450F until soft enough to eat. They aren't as firm as regular fries of course but so good and so much healthier.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Sweet potatoes are one of the most popular treats for dogs.
I boil the half an inch sized sweet potato cubes and apples for stew-like. After enough cooling down, I top them, 2 or 3 table spoon, on the dried dog food. Elza loves it!
Another treat: Smell of roasted sweet potatoes goes her crazy:)
Again, cool it enough before serving(lol)

Gassy. Right!
One night she jumped up and ran downstairs where her inside toilet is:lol2:
This was the first ever she went to her toilet during the night.
She could handle it:nicejob:

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Since you freezed mushed sweet potatoes, how about these recipes: "Sweet potato pancake" and "Sweet potato cookies".

Defrost some, shape mini pancakes and fry the surface with olive oil.
Cookies are: Add an egg, parmesan cheese and oats, shape then bake;)

I love cooking for my dog:)

·
Registered
667 Posts
Rush loves to have sweet mashed potatoes with his kibble. He does get gassy from them but he cannot get enough of them.

When we (humans) are having them with our meal he begs for them!!!

·
of Ferret Rock
1,674 Posts
1. baked, with butter and cinnamon sugar

2. Same thing but if you mash the sweet potatoes first, add that butter, sugar and cinnamon and then top it with minature marshmellows you have a classic sweet potato casserole that's almost sweet enough to be dessert. (Actually, I can't believe I'm the first to mention sweet potato casserole! I thought that was a staple! :p)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions! I have sweet potates comig out of my ears! But I almost hate to admit that I really enjoy developing new recipes for the dogs. The current recioe that has worked well and really, is relatively inexpensive:

In a 12 qt stock pot:
I add 10-12 sweet potaotes, chopped into larger sections (skin and all after washed)
4-5 heaping tablespoons of chopped garlic (from the $$ store)
2 whole chicken thighs
and a mess of sea salt..
Sometimes I add celery, green beans, just about anything I have available. I have even added cranberries.
After all is cooked, I take the chicken off the bones, put back in the pot and MASH all the ingredients together.

Then freeze in individual baggies (2-3 ladles for each dog) so they can have essentially have fresh broth daily. This is put over their kibbled food as well as 1 each micro-waved sweet potatoes. When I have had the FOSTER that has been truly thin, like the 8 yr old I recently adopted, I add several slices of bread daily. This helps for weight and also absorbed the broth! Let me assure you I have to be careful of the oveweightpossibilty but it certainly does wonders for their coat as well as healthy appetites! When I have had a foster going to his new home I have given the adopter several pouches of the frozen food and the recipe in the event thye want to continue with method. Many have!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts