Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this is a special question. I have a ferret, so looking for the best dry ferret food For my ferret, I occasionally give her raw chicken, some bits of fish, and such. And a raw egg once a week ish. Currently, she’s on Marshall’s but ya looking for some recommendations.

·
Super Moderator
Hairy Dog, RIP Caesar, Katana, Kip, Capri
24,830 Posts
We use Marshalls Premium. We used to mix it with Wysong Epigen 90 half and half. Wysongs is really recommended by lots of folks; it's high protein with no starches (ferrets are obligate carnivores), but we went stopped mixing it in because we had one ferret who kept having intermittent trouble with salmonella overgrowth. The vet thought the food might be contributing to the problem, so we went back to 100% Marshalls. His problem still shows up from time to time, so I don't know if the change really helped, but somehow we never added it back in.

I think the Wysong is a very good food though.

I had one ferret who was older and had trouble keeping weight on—we used to supplement his dry food with Turkey and Gravy 2nd Stage baby food, something like 1/2 to 1 small jar a day. I didn't leave it out free choice; I'd put it on a plate and he would finish it off in one sitting. He loved it—which was a big help, because if you have ferrets, you know that it can be very hard to get them to try a new food.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Maybe this is a special question. I have a ferret, so looking for the best dry ferret food For my ferret, I occasionally give her raw chicken, some bits of fish, and such. And a raw egg once a week ish. Currently, she’s on Marshall’s but ya looking for some recommendations.
This is not from personal experience but I work for a vet clinic and had a client who did not have dogs or cats but ferrets and he came in regularly to buy food for his ferrets. What he bought was Purina DM (which is used for cats, also obligate carnivores, I asked about it because I 'm nosey--and he told me after the first few months of feeding his first ferret on a commercial ferret food (never got into exactly what that was, this was at least 10 years ago) that he wasn't happy with this ferrets condition. He asked another breeder of ferrets and she was the one that told him to try the Purina DM. It is a prescription food and our clinic does require a prescription from a vet to sell it to someone. I know he also fed some additions but I don't know what. About two years ago he moved out of the area--came in to say good by and thanked us for actually stocking the DM and said that his ferret did very well on it.

But I'd stick with Melbrod's information--she at least does have ferret's and has had them for some time.

dobebug

1 - 3 of 3 Posts