Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we switched Duchess from Orijin to Acana-no more stinky poop or toots. The vet wants her about 5 lbs. lighter and the Orijin seemed to be very rich. However, I started out feeding the same amount, 2 cups, and it doesn't seem to be satisfying her. Has anyone else found this with Acana, that you need to feed more to keep them satisfied?

·
Registered
16,037 Posts
Acana is lower in calories. I do feed my 83 lb boy, 2 cups morning and nite. Acana has like 430 or so and Orijen around 500, seems like 527 on the fish 6.

IOW, yes, you are going to have to feed more of the Acana.

We have a Food Forum as a sub forum of the Health section.

You can add some green beans to her food to fill her up and gradually cut back if the 2 cups morning and nite don't fill her up.

Is she still 11 1/2 months old? You might have to feed her more than 2 cups morning and nite.

·
Super Moderator
22,003 Posts
If your vet wants her to lose weight, though, you can't feed her the same amount of calories as you were when you were feeding Orijen. So you might be feeding slightly more in terms of quantity, but you still want to cut her calories from what she was getting before.

When I switch dog foods, I always figure out how many calories per day my dogs need to maintain their weight, then calculate how much I need to feed of the new food to get them that many calories.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Acana has "Light & Fit" too. My female is on that and she likes it. During the day she does get treats, yogurt etc ... too so it should be ok. Good luck!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She's 2 1/2 yrs now so we want her weight down 5 lbs. and level off. Dumb me never thought to look at the calories on the bag. I'll try the beans to fill her up. We'll see in MAy if she's lost any weight-or may need to check thyroid. Thanks for the ideas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts