Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Kats Benson
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I have a blue dobey boy who I got a rescue 10 months ago and he was very malnourished with a bad coat. He was on acana salmon once home with me, it originally thickened up a bit but has began receding again the past 4 months or so. I've tried him on the acana chicken, no luck so now am trying TOTW salmon. I'm just wondering if anyone has seen a difference if I was to incorporate some brown rice to help? I understand people have different opinions on grains, I've always done grain free but am open to trying some healthy brown rice if it would help. If anyone has suggestions or has tried it with success, I'm interested. He also get omega oil, flaxseed, digestive enzymes and a vigorous rub down with a rubber mitt to help stimulate the follicles. Now melatonin as well per vet. Thanks in advance, love this forum!!

·
Premium Member
10,246 Posts
Hey everyone! I have a blue dobey boy who I got a rescue 10 months ago and he was very malnourished with a bad coat. He was on acana salmon once home with me, it originally thickened up a bit but has began receding again the past 4 months or so. I've tried him on the acana chicken, no luck so now am trying TOTW salmon. I'm just wondering if anyone has seen a difference if I was to incorporate some brown rice to help? I understand people have different opinions on grains, I've always done grain free but am open to trying some healthy brown rice if it would help. If anyone has suggestions or has tried it with success, I'm interested. He also get omega oil, flaxseed, digestive enzymes and a vigorous rub down with a rubber mitt to help stimulate the follicles. Now melatonin as well per vet. Thanks in advance, love this forum!!
Benson,

Go take a look at the link that Sam&Macksmom posted--there is a very good discussion, with lots of information there.

You have a three year old dilute dog--genetics counts for more than what food and what supplements you use--good food and appropriate supplements may help to slow hair loss but with CDA and the dilute Doberman what will be (genetically) is what will be.

Brown rice really won't make any difference--it's a little harder for dogs to digest than white rice but it also has more nutrients.

Three things that you should consider though...if your dog has not had a full thyroid panel he should. Often vets look at blue or fawn Dobes who are balding and immediately pronounce the problem to be CDA. Hypothyroidism is also dead common in Dobes and balding can also occur because of that. My fawn Dobe is both hypothyroid and is slowly loosing coat due to CDA.

I'd probably drop the flaxseed--while it does provide an additional source of Omega 3, fish oil is a more readily used produce. There is an entire additional step in the use of flaxseed (oil or seeds) before the dog gets usable Omega 3. And flaxseed is a pretty common allergen for many dogs.

And please STOP using that rubber mitt--unfortuately it's not doing what you think it's doing. It's not really the hair follicles that need stimulating and scrubbing at the coat of ANY short coated, single coated dog with mitts, rubber curries or your fingernails is an invitation to a bout of folliculitis. The hair loss in CDA is related to the structure of the hair shaft--it's lumpy because the melanin (the actual thing that provides the color of the hair) is not distributed evenly in the shaft. It makes the hair brittle and prone to breaking. If the hair breaks below the skin surface it often kills the follicle and not hair will ever grow there again. Folliculitis (inflamation of the follicle) can also kill the follicle. Use a well diluted shampoo, a washcloth or clean soft sponge,cool water and your finger tips to effectively bathe dogs with short single coats--especially if they are dilute Dobes.

Melatonin may help but this is not true for all dogs.

Read that thread that has the link--there is a lot of good information there.

And good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts