Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard of this problem?

Clifford is 2 years old, will be 3 in July.
He has what are called focal seizures. It gives him the look of a bobblehead. It is only in his head. They truly dont seem to bother him, while he has one he will walk around, get on the couch etc.
I tried him on Phenobarbitol, but had very little results. I was told these are not epileptic at all, and that why the pheno had little effect. It was suggested to put him on Eagle Pack brand food. This has seemed to help. Before Eagle Pack food he had them about once a month, after Eagle Pack it is even less then that.
Just wondering if anyone has ant info on this.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
They usually out grow this problem. I have never heard of a dog being treated with anti seizure meds for them. What most people do is offer the dog a treat and it snaps them out of it. Let me see if I can find a link for you.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Kratty said:
Here's a link I found....Its quite interesting.......maybe this will help

http://www.canine-epilepsy.net/basics/basics_main.html
Interesting link. My first Doberman Max has been to see Dr. O'Brien before. Max was born with neuro problems and was sent to see Dr. O'Brien when it was suspected that he had wobblers.

I'm just wondering if what the OP is talking about is what alot of Doberman owners report of their dog's head bobbling. That is the common description. And I don't believe it is a seizure disorder.

A focal seizure could be confirmed with an EEG, don't know it the OP has had one done her dog.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
On another forum there have been quite a few posters describing the same as you. There is a term for it, but I can't remember it.
I do not recall the dog's age or any updates to know if and at what age they out grew it.
I just recall that they were told it was something seen in Dobermans and they all agreed that giving the dog a treat made him snap out of it.
I wish the link I wanted you to see wasn't broken. I can email the lady that that helps with the website, but she is out of town this weekend.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have heard it is common in Dobermans, and labs.

Its is just so weird because when he has one it really doesn't seem to bother him, I think it bothers me more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts